Large size dished end of pipe-buried design

We are designing a cooling water system for a power plant. The delivery manifold has a torispherical dished end at one end. the pipeline is buried in soil and filcrete (2100 kg/cum) to about 5 metres above it. I designed for the overburden/ buckling for the pipeline using Iowa's formula. but i am not able to get a reference for load over a dish. Remember the dish is vertically placed as it is welded to the pipe which is horizontally aligned, tending the dish to buckle elliptically. how do we calculate the stresses ?The stresses are likely to be critical at the knuckle. is there any example/reference? is there a permissible deflection for dish or is it the same as the main pipe? All books I referred consider dished ends welded to process vessels which are above ground and so this issue is absent.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Dished ends are designed to counter internal pressure. 5meters of concrete above is just about 1 bar pressure, which will actually help to counter the internal pressure up to 1 bar.
    In my opinion you will be quite fine with the design for above surface application. Not to worry.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello, Sir I am Gajendra Sahu, i am learning php and other tools jquery, joomla, SEO, Angular Js, Node Js but friend tell me there is not future scope in...
Hi! i have just completed my graduation with Computer Science as majors. I am confused as to what position should i apply for?? i want to get in to the...
The mid-sized sedan, Baleno was discontinued in the year 2006-07. Soon after, it was replaced by the Maruti Suzuki SX4. It seems that the company hasn't been able to get...
Hello All I am planning for my Masters in Fall'16. As I am interested in Automobiles, i have decided to get my Masters from Germany. I have researched through websites...
Hello there, I am a new designer and am currently working on a project for a residential home addition of about 500 sf. The new addition will sit on a...