Languages For Game Designing?

I AM GAME LOVER AND PLAY LOT OF GAMES BUT I HAD THOUGHT OF CREATING MY OWN GAMES INSTEAD OF PLAYING SOME CREATED IT , SO WHAT ALL COURSES I REQUIRED TO LEARN FOR DEVELOPING ONE OR MODULE OF THE GAMES . SO NEED HELP

THANK U ALL

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Start with the basic snakes game or tic-tac-toe in C. You will need more of 'self-study' than courses. If you want to opt for advance 3D game designs and programming; you will have to master stuff like 3D Studio Max, Maya and maybe work out the advance scripting/coding used in these games. Advance knowledge of C, GUI programming will definitely help.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    suresh555
    I AM GAME LOVER AND PLAY LOT OF GAMES BUT I HAD THOUGHT OF CREATING MY OWN GAMES INSTEAD OF PLAYING SOME CREATED IT , SO WHAT ALL COURSES I REQUIRED TO LEARN FOR DEVELOPING ONE OR MODULE OF THE GAMES . SO NEED HELP

THANK U ALL
    Hello and welcome to CE. Instead of joining any courses, you can start developing games on your own PC at home. If you have some programming background, you might want to start coding for simple games in C/C++ or Java. If you want to become a serious game developer - it goes without saying that you have to have a sound knowledge of different aspects of a prog. language - such as graphics, sounds, input/output, file handling, networking et al. There are ample of online tutorials and you will find them specific to your needs once you actually start to code.

For a start - a simple game can be something like "Load and count the letters in each line from a text file", or "Display a red square in the middle of the screen".

Start exploring it right away and keep asking questions on the forum whenever you get stuck. All the best! 👍
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Certainly this depends on which type of game & game of what platform you wanna develop.
    If you want to develop games for X360 & MS phones, XNA runtime environment will do the job. As XNA is provided by Microsoft itself, you don't have to worry about compatibility.
    Most AAA PC games are developed in C/C++ ; Believe it or not C++ is like Universe, the more you'll learn the language the deeper you'll get into it (with loads of confusions too, that's fun though)

But, Like all other newbie developers, you might also dreaming of developing game like Skyrim or Call Of Duty all alone.
    Being honest, That's impossible !!

Game developing is very vague field, There is more failures than Winnings. Reason : Kids lacks patience !
    Do it slowly, steadily .... As AKD & Biggie said above, start with small games .. the more you'll build the more confidence you'll gain. You don't have to worry about later, slowly you'll find your way to bigger gaming development. (Ideas/Innovations/Gameplay matters alot than just looks of game, you can get many examples of such games which are still popular even though low graphics, because of awesome gameplay)

There are loads of small Indie games developed by single devs or maybe 4-5 Devs. You can get alike minded friends to work with you on later stage.

Know one thing before starting, Games are written in script languages & Engines are written in C++ (talking about big games)

Cut to the chase,
    If you wanna develop small games.. start with C --> C++ --> java (Even knowledge of Flash/Action script will do ... browser games have a very big market .. believe me)

C#/XNA might also help you with casual games. It has limited market though. XNA tied with .Net which is solid framework to get start, it looks good in any resume.

If you wanna develop hardcore games in future ... start with C --> C++ (stop here, learn it deeper & deeper ... & alongside learn Python too. Python is used as scripting language for gamelogic, missions & sometimes AI .. I suggest you to get knowledge of Python too)
    Lua is very popular choice but that's for mostly big professional games (you don't need it now)
  • suresh555
    suresh555
    The_Big_K
    Start with the basic snakes game or tic-tac-toe in C. You will need more of 'self-study' than courses. If you want to opt for advance 3D game designs and programming; you will have to master stuff like 3D Studio Max, Maya and maybe work out the advance scripting/coding used in these games. Advance knowledge of C, GUI programming will definitely help.

thank u
  • suresh555
    suresh555
    Thank u all , i will start with minor games , if i have any doubt for sure i will be back with questions and query.........
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    suresh555
    Thank u all , i will start with minor games , if i have any doubt for sure i will be back with questions and query.........
    Why not keep all of us posted about your game development and start sharing code with fellow CEans. It might happen that you'll be joined by CEans in developing a game 😀
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    @ Troll_So_hard that was quite a descriptive and informative post 😀
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    durga
    @ Troll_So_hard that was quite a descriptive and informative post 😀
    Thank you 😁
  • suresh555
    suresh555
    sure i will share my experience and very soon focusing on goal..
  • rk rao
    rk rao
    learn python. a cool and fantastic language, as it is an open source, you would get help immediately also. And it is too good a language, virtually solves all the problem

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i want some good books for 5th sem (electronics and communication) subjects: vlsi , vhdl , dsp pls some good books where i can understand the concept and lot of...
Here is a list of project ideas related to Cloud Computing. Students belonging to third year or final year can use these projects as mini-projects as well as mega-projects. This...
Let us make a collection of project ideas for developing apps on iOS for iPhone and iPad. iOS App developers use Xcode, Apple’s integrated development environment (IDE) and have the...
can any one tell me how can i download youtube videos without having youtube downloader???
Here is a list of project ideas based on Zigbee. Students belonging to third year or final year can use these projects as mini-projects as well as mega-projects. This list...