Land Rover Shall Reveal "Transparent Bonnet" Concept At The New York International Auto Show 2014

Land Rover has always been known to add a little extra in its range of SUVs to make them irresistible. This time around they are tinkering with their Discovery family of vehicles and will be unveiling a new concept car at the 2014 New York International Auto Show which is scheduled to commence from 18th of this month. The Discovery Vision Concept car takes the car maker’s ingenuity to a whole new level as it shall feature a “Transparent Bonnet”. No, this Transparent Bonnet is not a glass engine cover that you find on a Lamborghini or a Ferrari, it is much more. The Transparent Bonnet is an augmented reality view of the terrain below the car’s front half.

Transparent Bonnet

Since you are already awestruck from the image above, we shall explain how this technology works. The cameras located in the vehicle’s front grill capture video and feed it to a Heads-Up Display on the smart windscreen and this creates a ‘see-through’ view of the terrain through the bonnet and engine bay for the driver. This view helps the driver to see the exact angle and position of wheels while driving through difficult terrains and confined spaces. As you might have already noticed it’s actually translucent rather than transparent because if it would have been completely see through people would have forgotten about the enormous bonnet and drove into things. Land Rover has previously used cameras in its Range Rover range as a Visual Assist feature that helps drivers to avoid things like tree stumps, stones and wildlife while they are off-roading.

So will this technology take the automotive industry by a storm or just remain as a clever concept? Let us know your views in the comment section below after having a look at the visual representation of this feature in the video below.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

We've made a few tweaks to the server and that should make the site incredibly faster for the guest users (sorry, logged-in people!) The only catch is that the guests...
With an aim to connect families to food, Nikhil Arora and Alejandro Velez founded Back to the Roots - A startup that has launched two products - the Mushroom Kit...
Hi everyone I am in 3rd year of CSE in BE. So its high time for me to get ready for the placements. For this purpose I need good suggestions...
Quote: Curriculum Calendar Tracks Develop Apps for Embedded Android Networking | Testing MIMO Radios | Developing With Embedded Linux Using the Yocto Project Framework | Mastering the Embedded Software Design...
In some other thread I had posted a link to a survey that predicted that more than two billion conventional jobs will be lost to 3D printing and robotics by...