LAN File Sharing Application

I want to build my own application that will make it possible to send and receive files directly between computers on a LAN, but i don't know where to start from. Any advice on what i need to know and which language would be best suited for this.

Replies

• rahul69
    rahul69
    Olu_Ola
    I want to build my own application that will make it possible to send and receive files directly between computers on a LAN, but i don't know where to start from. Any advice on what i need to know and which language would be best suited for this.
    Pardon me, but I could not understand the need of your program, if u want to share files u can create a publicly shared folder and send/receive files using it, so please tell in detail what exactly u want to do using your application.
    Best guess I can make is that u want to create something along the lines of dropbox, but do tell if that is what u want so that we can guide u about this.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I hope its an good idea where the files to be shared will be shared with ease.Though the file sharing needs little single line programs to share on the Run command I will try to avoid it if I have an app for sharing.
    Hope I see a app from you sooooon.All the best.
  • Olu_Ola
    Olu_Ola
    rahul69
    Pardon me, but I could not understand the need of your program, if u want to share files u can create a publicly shared folder and send/receive files using it, so please tell in detail what exactly u want to do using your application.
    Best guess I can make is that u want to create something along the lines of dropbox, but do tell if that is what u want so that we can guide u about this.

what i have in mind is a simple (maybe not so simple) application that would detect other hosts on a LAN ( with the same app installed on them) and should be able to send/receive files to/from these hosts without having to create a shared folder which every one can see. (some how similar to transferring files via Bluetooth.).

Incidentally i stumbled on an app online that already does something similar.(Its called LAN messenger) but would still like to develop mine.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    OK here is what you need. You can start with Visual Studio. You can deploy C# as language. Now make a framework as to how will your app look like. Insert buttons and stuff. Reference codes you can get it online or on C# tutorials. Your application will basically broadcast a signaturized hello request. If replied by other client on the network, means it has your application installed there too, it will list that client in your window. Then put some textfield there to write text/attach files and send button hits the target. It is not a simple one to code. For reference, you can use IPMessenger software while developing. It is also a VS product which serves the exact purpose you are trying to make. Read its developer notes from their website or try to debug that software. You will understand how to do it.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    implement TFTP / FTP protocol?
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    Olu_Ola
    what i have in mind is a simple (maybe not so simple) application that would detect other hosts on a LAN ( with the same app installed on them) and should be able to send/receive files to/from these hosts without having to create a shared folder which every one can see. (some how similar to transferring files via Bluetooth.).

Incidentally i stumbled on an app online that already does something similar.(Its called LAN messenger) but would still like to develop mine.
    You can implement it in any language u like, be it C# or Java or in C itself 😀.
    The concepts required will be of Socket Programming.
    If you are going for C# check out the TCPListener class
    Hope it helps 😀
  • Olu_Ola
    Olu_Ola
    Thanks for your suggestions. i've started work on it. I'm using Visual Basic2010 to program.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    actually making one computer as ftp server, turning off the firewall and trying to connect it from anther computer through ftp client programs like winscp(on windows), but doing something on own is always nice!
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    durga
    actually making one computer as ftp server, turning off the firewall and trying to connect it from anther computer through ftp client programs like winscp(on windows), but doing something on own is always nice!
    What you are suggesting is a type of open for all sharing. This application he's trying to build is a client-client type of sharing.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Reliance Digital Sucks!​ Wrong corporate practices, the worst consumer support and service and the most pathetic brand you can ever imagine to buy even a single product is Reliance Digital....
Queries and drawbacks about the laptop that you bought recently (Couple of months ago) Max 6 months. 1.Brand (Mac, Sony, Dell, .etc) : 2.Spec (i3, i5, i7, .etc) : (Win...
Some people while traveling by an plane Find it difficult to cope up with the change in pressure inside the chamber In this scenario the effect of traveling at 1000mph...
What happened to the small talk segment. We find that there has not been any inclusion in it for a really long time When is the next small talk on...
Well I was wondering Why miniaturised transistors are not yet implemented in the processors And I found this challenge really striking. The size of the transistor is determined by the...