Laminations of steel for motor

Hi guys
Why iron core is thin & laminated in motor instead of solid core ?
For most of the applications in motors or transformers, silicon steel material is used for iron core ?
Why only these material is suitable for iron core ?
What kind of properties should a perfect iron core should have ?
Guys Im from mechanical background please help..
Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The core must be a perfect path for the magnetic field but electrically insulating for minimal eddy current losses. Details are available in many text books and the net. This will start you with some basics:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Tribikram Mishra
    Tribikram Mishra
    Hi Sachin
    Well iron Cores are prefered in Electrical equipments due to their high ferro magnetic effects.
    It provides perfect path for magnetic field.
    As you know Electricity & Magnetism are inseparable.
    The Iron Sheets are laminated so as to reduce What is Eddy Current Loss? - definition and expression - Circuit Globe in the system.
    The Suitable properties are linked #-Link-Snipped-#.
    Have a Look.
    Thank You .
  • NAVATHE SACHIN
    NAVATHE SACHIN
    Thank you... #-Link-Snipped-# sir and ...@ Tribikram Mishra.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Quote: No list of science fiction horror would be complete without the granddaddy of them all. We all know some variation of the story: A mad scientist brings a monster,...
With the brightness of Diwali, wishing you a sweet and scary Halloween, CE brings to you the latest it heard from Google official blog. After the successful launch of “STRANGER...
Diwali can have crazy influence every where: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27178479/VID-20161030-WA0008.mp4
Hi everyone, I need a mini project on "Budget calculator for an organisation". If not, anyone can help me in it. I need what inputs can we take, what outputs...