KSB CHTR3/10 Boire Feed Pump Locked Rotor

We are having 3 nos of KSB Made CHTR 3/10 Boiler Feed pump having 10 stages, head1510 meter, 112m3/hr flow. Recently one of the pumps was leaking from its mechanical seal from Flowserve of Plan 23. After replacing the Mechanical seal and all other assembly, alignment of the with the gearbox has been done and coupled to start the pump. As soon as the pump is filled with water(100 deg C at 2kg/cm2 pr.) the rotor got locked, however after flushing the pump from balance leak off and casing drain and rotating the shaft for around 5 hours the shaft found free to rotate, hence the pump has been started. As soon as the pump is started smoke from mechanical seal has been observed and pump got tripped on lock rotor. Upon dismantling Carbon Ring of the seal has been found in broken condition. However the carbon ring has been replaced and the seal has been assembled and fitted and again the pump has been filled with water. Again after filling the pump with water the rotor got locked. What are the probable reasons and the remedies for the same?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Is the shaft true? Could it have got bent? Breaking of the carbon seal and smoking of the mech seal seem to indicate a misalignment or eccentric rotation.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

recently i got placed in tcs but in my class X examination i didnt gt the pass marks in my additional elective subject...is this causes any problem at joining time?
I am a fresh graduate with a bachelor degree in computer science and i want to master in Computer and network security but don't know where to begin. Can someone...
Iam yet to register for phd..need to help to select the domain.. Iam BE in EEE and Mtech CS..with ..average fundamentals in both..However iam inclined towards CS.. so i have...
i am Jerome Nkem Onyebuchi, a final year student of civil engineering. i like the community here,what else can i say...there's so much to learn. i am from Nigeria thou
a. It controls the movement of the pushrods to open the inlet and exhaust valves. b. It transfers the power produced during the combustion cycle, out of the engine. c....