KONE UltraRope Using Elevators Can Go The Extra Kilometre In High Rise Buildings

KONE, the elevator manufacturer from Finland, is here with innovation in the high-rise elevator technology. With KONE UltraRope in place, now elevators that will be able to travel 1 kilometer-twice the distance that is currently feasible, have been made possible. This light-weight yet strong UltraRope is made up of carbon fiber that is more durable and stronger than any conventional steel rope. One of the lingering technical issues with very tall buildings is the weight that elevator cables need to be able to support the weight of a fully-loaded car can increase by around three times for every 500 meters it climes.

slide

In order to solve this problem, as there's been a steep rise in the length of buildings in recent times, KONE has been working on a new technology which could enable skyscrapers to go even higher than currently possible. UltraRope has been under development since 2010 and has been tested in KONE’s Tytyri underground facility. The company's now got a high-friction coating on the rope to dramatically reduce the elevator’s moving masses. This coating doubly advantageous because it doesn’t require lubrication and therefore fosters increased sustainability. Way to go, elevators!

Replies

• lovebox
    lovebox
    A nice development. I think that the UltraRope can also be put to use in cranes that are used in the construction of the very same high-rise buildings in which such elevators are to be installed.
    Moreover, this UltraRope may also be used in the 'Rocking-Horse' mechanism that is used to pump out crude oil from great depths in an oil well.
    This would serve to increase the productivity. What do you guys think?
  • just2rock
    just2rock
    soon using carbon nanofibre ropes will even travel to outer space...and its been tested even in lab..😏
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    The Kingdom tower (Jeddah) is in making and the tower is expected to be over 1 KM tall. I would be interesting to see which elevator do they use. Will they believe on this in the ultra high tower?

Also, any one anyclue if Burj Dubai has any elevator which goes from bottom most to top. If Yes, which elevator is that?

-CB
  • KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    In the present tallest building. they are using Mitusubishi elevators
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    KSS manian
    In the present tallest building. they are using Mitusubishi elevators
    Burj Khalifa has elevators built by OTIS. Mitsubishi Elevators were set up in the Taipei Towers 101.
  • KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    oooohhhh, thank you for correcting me

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Let us explore 5 unique career options for B.Tech Computer Science students if they are not good at coding or software development.
Nokia Inc, the smartphone manufacturer has brought for the Nokia Asha Touch phone users in India, a useful and free app with the Nokia Mail For Exchange. Users of the...
I want to know the following conditions in a elaborate manner 1)what may be the best pressure levels in two wheeler/four wheeler? 2)Do they differ from every other company? 3)Does...
India's oldest mediums of broadcast - Doordarshan and All India Radio run by Prasar Bharti under the Government of India, have been fondly cherished over the decades by the young...
hi i am an electrical engineer and i am in my final year. i am very passionate about cars and so i want to join an automobile company. so is...