Key skills for mechanical engineer

As a mechanical engineer i have 90% on field job and i hate it and i particularly dont find any scope in it.
What am i good at is desk oriented jobs be it anything.
Now besides good grades which i dont have what other skills or softwares softwares should i learn so as to get a decent desk job so as to expand my knowledge upto core level.
I know few cad softwares besides will learning programming will help me enter IT field or at least useful in mechanical field. I am good in maths and like problem solving.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - I think CAD would offer you the job you desire. Have you had any exposure to programming before? Programming might take up quite some time till you make yourself ready for the industry.

I'd strongly suggest exploring the CAD domain. Should bring you the best of both worlds: computers and mechanical.
  • Deadman
    Deadman
    I am already familiar with cad softwares but i have never done programming before.
    Will it be wise to take break from job and learn programming.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Deadman
    I am already familiar with cad softwares but i have never done programming before.
    Will it be wise to take break from job and learn programming.
    If your employer allows you time off for several days while keeping your employment intact, you may go for it. However, it'd always be better to organise your routine to include 1-2 hours for studies.

If 'break' implies quitting your job - I'd advise strongly against it.
  • Deadman
    Deadman
    Why against quitting job?
  • n1kh1l
    n1kh1l
    Hi
    you can consider pipeline engineering as an alternate field. Its related to pipeline design in large industries. I think mainly desk job but may have some field work.
  • Abhiraj10
    Abhiraj10
    hi
    you can also try try other software such as CATIA, ANSYS which is trending in industries nowadays.
  • Deadman
    Deadman
    n1kh1l
    Hi
    you can consider pipeline engineering as an alternate field. Its related to pipeline design in large industries. I think mainly desk job but may have some field work.
    Pipeline engineering is just a hype for fresher engineers. Any design engineer can do pipeline design.
    Also I am aware of all cad, cam packages. Any different suggestions?
  • n1kh1l
    n1kh1l
    Deadman
    Pipeline engineering is just a hype for fresher engineers. Any design engineer can do pipeline design.
    Also I am aware of all cad, cam packages. Any different suggestions?
    Hi
    I don't know if it is a hype or not, but I do know some pipeline engineers and they earn about $175000 to $200000 a year.
    If any design engineer could do it, I dont think they could earn so much.
  • Deadman
    Deadman
    n1kh1l
    Hi
    I don't know if it is a hype or not, but I do know some pipeline engineers and they earn about $175000 to $200000 a year.
    Well that must be the case in US that too at seniority level.
  • Deadman
    Deadman
    Anyone from mechanical field here?
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    n1kh1l
    Hi
    That is way too much. More that anything I ever heard of. At any seniority level.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    First of all, is your job a production line job?
  • n1kh1l
    n1kh1l
    Shashank Moghe
    That is way too much. More that anything I ever heard of. At any seniority level.
    Dont behave like a frog in a pond. There is a world beyond the pond too.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    n1kh1l
    Dont behave like a frog in a pond. There is a world beyond the pond too.
    I think I am taken wrongly here. I just implied that this is something I have not come across. But then again, you have seen more world than I did. So, very well could be.
  • Deadman
    Deadman
    Shashank Moghe
    First of all, is your job a production line job?
    Projects.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    What sort?
  • Deadman
    Deadman
    Automation
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    If you expect people to help you out here, you gotta be more descriptive than one word.
  • Deadman
    Deadman
    Its assembly, erection commissioning machine/structure. Its sort of managing workers and materials related to project. Even that experience on paper doesn't count for design field.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    And what is your field of interest?
  • Deadman
    Deadman
    Design (tool, machine), analysis.
    Basically anything else than field job.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Ok. So you have had experience with design/simulation? Or is it just something you would like to explore?

For design, I suggest some classes for a design CAD software. I personally did Pro-E (and ended up developing SolidWorks). But these days, in India at least, CATIA is far more preferred. Both have their pros and cons, you would be better off learning CATIA in terms of employability.

Analysis is a different ball game altogether. You have to be thorough with Fluid Mechanics and SOM to begin with in the first place. Learning just Ansys/Fluent/Comsol/StarCCM/ Hypermesh/Abaqus is not sufficient in itself. Of course, since you are an engineer, you must have a good basic understanding of FD (for CFD) and SOM (for solid mechanics CAE). It should help learning Ansys, to begin with.
  • Deadman
    Deadman
    Yes i am good in som and fluid mechanics.
    But the thing is that due to field job i am physically and mentally drained and free only 4-5 hours. Its a risk quitting current job but still i am willing to do it for the sake of better future.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Do you have a 5 day week?
  • Deadman
    Deadman
    Shashank Moghe
    Do you have a 5 day week?
    No 6 days
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Deadman
    No 6 days
    In that case you will have to make the most of that one holiday you have every week.
  • Deadman
    Deadman
    Shashank Moghe
    In that case you will have to make the most of that one holiday you have every week.
    Easier said than done because i am not at all satisfied with job.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Exactly why you must make the most of that one day.
  • Deadman
    Deadman
    Is it possible for a mechanical engineer to enter IT field? From what i know most of the IT jobs rely on certification courses unlike mechanical. Though i am interested in programming what other options i have in software field except ERP.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Yes you can. Develop Mechanical CAD/Analysis software. Find companies and apply. You said you are good with programming right?
  • Deadman
    Deadman
    I dont know anything about programming but i am interested in learning.
    Since this forum is more about IT field i am hoping for some good replies.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    I did work as a CAD development engr, and I hold a ME degree. Its really a fun and interesting job profile.
  • Deadman
    Deadman
    Shashank Moghe
    I did work as a CAD development engr, and I hold a ME degree. Its really a fun and interesting job profile.
    You mean to say you need to have a masters degree?
    As for now i am not thinking of doing masters especially from india.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    I meant Mechanical Engineering degree. What I intended to say was that although I worked as a software developer, I did not have a CS or IT degree.
  • Deadman
    Deadman
    Which programming languages should I learn?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Every year the Mobile World Congress serves us products that we have been expecting for a long time and sometimes this event sees product launches that are totally unexpected. Today...
Project Abstract / Summary : ABSTRACT With the increasing number of people in opportunistic cities existing problem of poor transportation services has grown to an alarming extent. Due to non-availability...
Project Abstract / Summary : A HYBRID MPPT ALGORITHM FOR SOLAR PANEL We know that various research are going on to increase the PV panel efficiency which is achieved in...
Project Abstract / Summary : The next generation of wearables could be powered by an unlikely energy source: you. As energy demand is rising rapidly the need to find alternative...
Sony’s smartphone division has quietly unveiled their new mid-range offering, the Sony Xperia M4 Aqua. The new smartphone gets its name owing to its waterproof nature. While previous Xperia offerings...