Karnataka Police Makes It Illegal To 'Like' or 'Share' Objectionable Content - Justified?

Just read the news that the government of Karnataka has made it illegal to like or share objectionable content uploaded on social media sites like Facebook, twitter, YouTube, Google Plus and others. According to an ad in the local newspapers, the police has warned the citizens not to upload, like or share any objectionable content on the Internet. Those who do so may be arrested under section 66(A) of the Information Technology Act and 153(A), 295 of the Indian Penal Code.

The 'objectionable' content, as referred, seems to be the one that hurts the sentiments of any religion, knowingly or unknowingly

Obviously, everyone is going to question the procedure or mechanism to be followed to determine which content is to be classified as objectionable.

Would love to known view of our CEans in this debate whether this initiative by the Karanataka Police is justified. Looking forward to both 'for' and 'against' views on the topic.

Replies

• Divyaprakash KC
    Divyaprakash KC
    It would be great if the government ban spitting culture first
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Isn't it the Congress government in Karnataka? I'm wondering if it's been effective since it came to power.
  • ranjan shaw
    ranjan shaw
    what will happen to Taj Mahal if ' Pan ' chewers are given a free hand?
    ..........They'll convert Taj into Lal Killa ..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ^ #-Link-Snipped-# - spot on! 😁
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    The issue here is to define "Objectionable". And frankly, 66(A) is bullshit. So what if I like/share something, if these religious fanatics believe in their God then they should know He doesn't give a damn about social media. I know I am taking this in other direction but people are idiots. Who the hell cares what I do on facebook and if you can't have the patience of someone talking something against your religion, then, my friend, you are doing religion wrong!

Yes, I agree some people can be above the tolerance level, but again, people are idiots, they want you to outrage, they want you to react violently, and you are playing right into their hand. So, I guess it's more peoples' fault rather than police's. If your religion can't teach you to stay peaceful then that religion deserves to be criticized.
  • pratap singh, upendra
    pratap singh, upendra
    I think it's a real thoughtful decision to declare liking objectionable posts as illegal.

The only prerequisite is that the word 'objectionable' should be properly defined and its definition should also be placed on all social sites.

More ever, when a person wants to have an account in a social networking site,he should be given this definition and asked to comply with it. This should be there in the agreement itself. The account should be activated only when the user has clearly understood the meaning of 'objectionable' and decides to abide by it.

Liking objectionable posts on social sites is like an incentive. It promotes, encourages the person (who has posted the content) to persevere in his pursuit.

Remember, what gets rewarded gets repeated. So a strategy to discourage such posts will ultimately bring it down to zero.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

When it comes to an ultra low cost phones, the market in India is hugely dominated by the Google's Android OS smartphones. Giving a stiff competition to that, here comes...
With an aim to revolutionize live entertainment through innovative technology, TommyJams was founded by Parth Saxena and Nikhil Kapur in 2012. The founders are both Computer Science engineers, who graduated...
Running has always been one of the best ways to exercise. While most of us like to do it casually, professionals such as marathon runners and athletes take it very...
Dear @Abhishek Rawal @Sanyam Khurana i need a help or somewhat say suggestion from u sir .. as i am pursuing a diploma course in embedded system design from cdac...
Xiaomi, the company known as 'Apple of China' will introduce its entry level smartphones - Redmi 1S and Redmi Note in India on August 26. The company has sent out...