JustDelete.Me Removes Your Web Traces; Attracts 5,00,000 Views In Its First Week

At a time in which public consciousness and concern about their security across the Internet is at its peak, a developer from UK - Robb Lewis and designer Ed Poole came together to develop a website that helps you get off the grid. Well, not completely, but they have launched a website called JustDelete.Me for people who want delete their web trace from various online databases, be it a social media site to an online retailer site you so regularly visit. The website gives its users a directory of URLs highlighting links to pages that they want to remove themselves from.

After it went live on August 19, within a week it received 5,00,000 views - which pretty much speaks of the instant success of the idea and how much more alert and active the netizens have become when it comes to their data on the web. Ed Poole believes that the reason behind the site getting so many views can be attributed to the recent controversy over security and privacy stemming out of the NSA leaks. JustDelete.Me currently lists sites like Facebook, Foursquare, Dropbox, Feedly, 9GAG, Amazon, About.ME, CodeAcademy, Disqus, Flickr, GitHub, NYTimes and Wordpress - to name a few. These sites are being ranked as per their level of difficulty in deleting accounts. It categorizes each service into “easy,” “medium,” “hard,” and “impossible”.

slide

In a post on his blog, Lewis says he came up with the idea for JustDelete.me after seeing tweets on how difficult it is to delete a Skype or Netflix account. "Five years ago, when things like Facebook and MySpace were still in their infancy, people didn’t see the harm in sharing their personal information," said Poole in an email to Digital Trends. "Recently, with the drama surrounding the NSA and stories of large companies selling personal information, I think the public has realized we can’t just put anything online, as nobody really knows what information is ‘safe’ anymore."

What do you guys think about your online privacy and sharing personal data online. Would you be using JustDelete.Me? Share your thoughts with us in comments.

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Definitely got to try it.Social networking sites are the best places to get robbed(Your datas,photos,videos,etc)Now just delete me makes a good way in providing secure feeling to users.can users delete complete data's uploaded by them if they had deactivated a account?
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Wow! That's a great initiative. It's a heaven for people who are concerned about online data security. It's good to know if I can delete my data from a account or not.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi CEans after so much googling I am here to ask a help to all.I want to make a paper presentation on the toopic Biogas-The future fuel of IC engines.For...
Nissan, the Japanese multinational automaker, is here with some awesome news. The company has promised to bring in the market the first "commercially-viable" self-driving car by 2020. Whoa! The last...
If you are like millions of others (nothing to be proud of it) who spend waste hours on Facebook looking at totally useless stuff - there's a way to fix...
The UK P 50 billion High Speed Rail line HS2 is receiving a lot of flak. A thing touted as an engineering marvel (it could well be) is getting bogged...
Engineers at MIT and National University of Ireland (NUI) have developed a 3D mapping algorithm that can create highly detailed indoor and outdoor 3D maps in real time. The research...