Juniper Networks Certified Design Associate (JNCDA) vs CCDA

Hi CEans,

Anyone here have taken the JNCDA paper? It's Juniper's new paper to certify network design competency.

How does it compare to Cisco's CCDA? I'm quite curious as to how much Juniper's network design principles actually defer from Cisco's.

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    i have given neither- but are not the design principles meant to remain standard irrespective of vendor?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Well, it's hard to be vendor neutral when >90% of enterprise boxes in the market are dominated by Cisco 😁

Cisco design principles are what Cisco feels is the best practice in theory, which may or may not align with standards set today. They at times set most of their networking standards as de facto anyway, as opposed to IETF standards.

But still, CCDA is worth take up for basic knowledge. The next level up, CCDP, is more useful once you are establishing yourself as a network solution architect.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    this discussion might veer into a different direction altogether, but I doubt how long before cisco dominance is challenged given the rise of SDN and NFV. Infact VMWare and Cisco are more sort of competitors now.

I do agree about taking Cisco certs for knowing more about networking though.

EDIT: Cisco also has its own version of Openflow -_-
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Just to add further comment if I may. I agree, that's why Cisco is smart enough to ride on the SDN & NFV bandwagon. 😁 I feel because of their dominance and ability to adapt to technology disruptions (by innovating or buying out potential competitors), they were able to lead all along.

The only way to beat them is with cost. That is how Huawei & ZTE roll!

Going back to topic. Seems that in entry network job listings, there aren't that many requirements for CCDA as opposed to CCNA. I think CCDA should be included as "desirable" and complement to CCNA, at least to give some solid basics on modern network design and network lifecycle (i.e PPDIOO) rather than just troubleshooting and configuration.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    -_-.
    this topic is veering off. cant help it. VMWare bought Nicira already, and ONF website now lists SDN certs 😛 and INE(extremely well known for cisco certs) now offers SDN certifications training as well.
    Cisco might jump onto OF bandwagon, but given that cisco already has their OpFlex for south bound interfacing, I am pretty sure they will do their thing - we are cisco and we offer best of SDN stuff in market.

I too agree upon CCDA going hand in hand with CCNA, followed by CCNA -security and then the professional certs like CCNP, CCDP and so on.In that way a solid base is formed before one rushes to attain the professional level.
    Again going back to SDN, network design principles will now change completely given the way future networks will operate.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

In today’s age of smartphones and tablets, it is not atypical that every person in the family has either one or both of them. Naturally, these devices need electricity to...
wat is mean by nitro car
Ex-Vlingo CEO Dave Grannan has extensive industry experience. He has worked with U.S. Marine Corps, Accenture and Sprint in the 90s. In 1998, he became the President & CEO at...
I recently visited Singapore and found that the topic of limited land is a growing concern in the country. The country is rightfully called 'garden city' as you see most...
Hello, What is the difference between an external and an internal virtual circuit connection? Kindly enlighten me in context to X.25 and circuit switching.