Jolla's Something Big Could Be Sailfish OS Powered Tablet Or Big-Screen Smartphone

Jolla Ltd., the Finish company founded by ex-Nokia employees, has started making waves thanks to a teaser it has put on the official website that says 'Something Big is about to begin' with an image of a corner of a device displayed above it and a launch date set at November 12, 2014. This mystery launch has got the media and gadget-enthusiasts excited about the upcoming unveiling from the company. It was only in September that the folks released Jolla Smartphone Price In India, Specs & Features - All You Want To Know at Rs. 16,499 via Snapdeal. With this new teaser, it is pretty sure that Jolla is planning for something big and if some reports are to be believed, the new device could be a Sailfish OS powered tablet or a big-screen smartphone aka phablet.

As of today other than India, the Jolla smartphones are available in Hong Kong and Europe. The 'we are unlike' tag-ling carrying brand has quickly caught the attention of thousands of tech-lovers owing to its MeeGo-derived OS called Sailfish. Though there are many speculations spreading around about the launch scheduled for tomorrow i.e. Wednesday, there's no hints to suggest what it could be.

Jolla-sailfish-something-big-tablet-or-smartphone
Jolla Teaser
The company has opened up registrations for those who want to know what the big launch is going to be about on its official website. We will update as soon as we find out. Meanwhile, we would love to know what are your guesses and what do you expect from the company in the months to come. Would you be ready to shell out bucks for a Sailfish OS running tablet? Share your your opinions and expectations with us via comments below.

Source: Jolla

Replies

• Gollapinni Karthik Sharma
    Gollapinni Karthik Sharma
    I guess they are planing to launch a Phablet with some stunning features and may be with some powerful specifications.
    Either its a Tablet or a Phablet the teaser for the big launch suggest that their focus will be on the design and features which can be really big and huge demand in near future.
  • lal
    lal
    It seems to be a tablet. One of the Jolla team members had realesed a blog post a few days back about making the UI and icons independent of screen resolution. And there were hints about new gestures being implemented which should make it easy to use large screens. It is gonna be a 'BIG' device anyway 😁

Watchout for Nokia too. They have a teaser too, about some new device! #-Link-Snipped-#

Slush 2014 is turning out to be pretty awesome 😁
  • lal
    lal
    Update: Nokia just announced Nokia N1, an Android device priced at $249.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'd have loved if it was a smartwatch or a smarband. Tablet? Seriously?
    The specs seems good. I mean starting a tablet with such high ends specs is really good and great.

And its running Android 5 on the top. Its an impressive move by Nokia to counter other companies.

The Nokia N1 tablet sports a 7.9-inch IPS display(2048x1536p) with LED backlight. The fully-laminated zero air-gap display is protected by Gorilla Glass 3.

Powered by a 2.3GHz Intel Z3580 64-bit Atom processor and 2GB RAM, the tablet comes with 32GB internal storage and a microSD card slot. It runs Android 5.0 Lollipop with Nokia Z Launcher running on top.

The Nokia N1 tablet sports an 8MP rear camera and a 5MP front-focus camera. It supports 1080p (full-HD) video recording.

The tablet comes with a 3.5mm headset jack, Micro-USB 2.0 Type-C reversible connector and offers Wi-Fi(including 802.11ac), and Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity options. The tablet has a 5300mAh battery. It also offers advanced audio capabilities including stereo speakers and High Quality Discrete Audio Codec, Wolfson WM8958E chip and independent audio codec.

The tablet sports a one-piece design with an aluminium body and surface anodization. It will be available in natural aluminium and lava gray colours. The tablet weighs 318gram.
  • Divyaprakash KC
    Divyaprakash KC
    Not a fan of tablets of Phablets (yuck!). This it is a "specs and apps" market, with emphasis on the latter, again only the tech enthusiasts are expected to move by this. Especially if they have tie-up with only Snapdeal.
  • lal
    lal
    And, it's a tablet!
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Heard that Jolla tablet is using Intel Bay-trail chipset, so I suspect they'll be using that lame IP tainted piece of shit - PowerVR, which certainly makes this device the worst in hacking point of view. I just hope it doesn't ships with PowerVR.

I wish they would've shipped it with Tegra K1. Intel on handheld gadgets is shit.

Anyways, my next device will be : Neo900 .
    Abhishek Rawal
    Heard that Jolla tablet is using Intel Bay-trail chipset, so I suspect they'll be using that lame IP tainted piece of shit - PowerVR, which certainly makes this device the worst in hacking point of view. I just hope it doesn't ships with PowerVR.

I wish they would've shipped it with Tegra K1. Intel on handheld gadgets is shit.

Nexus 9 is coming with Tegra K1. I think that's the only tablet coming with K1. Are there any other tabs?

Wow the device seems amazing. I just about the phone and their models and history on the company. Seems impressive. I guess apple will take ages to get these all features, in fact any other mobile company.
    Abhishek Rawal

#-Link-Snipped-# : Do you think the CPU for Nexus 9 be sufficient to handle the chipset along with the L on it. I was disappointed when I saw it was dual core.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Do you think the CPU for Nexus 9 be sufficient to handle the chipset along with the L on it. I was disappointed when I saw it was dual core.
    There are two versions :
    - Quad core A15s
    - Nvidia's own custom Armv8 dual CPU cores.
    Both ships with full implementation of Kepler architecture.

Nvidia's Shield tablet had Tegra K1 long before Nexus 9 was ever announced. Benchmarks of K1 are surprisingly awesome, so I guess it can easily handle L on N9.
  • lal
    lal
    Abhishek Rawal

As of what I read, there are reports that its an Intel GPU and not the PoverVR. Though, nothing seems to be finalised yet. An open boot loader and Intel GPU, distant dreams? 😁 Jolla's got to answer!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The NVIDIA Tesla K80 Dual GPU accelerator is the world's fastest graphics card - and boy, it's driving the entire graphics industry to a new benchmark! Nvidia announced the updated...
Hi Folks, How to Revert back to Original mode from Developer mode in Andriod 4.4.4, Can you please help me in this. Thanks, Madhu
As we declared previously, we are all geared up for celebrating the CrazyEngineers' 9th Anniversary on 26th November by celebrating the next week with a number of contests and giveaways...
I am trying to carryout gear design using AGMA method, but that includes finding allowable stress as a function of the material's Brinell hardness. Now the equation for that is...
Hi every one.. I developed web based Hospital management system software using .NET and SQL Server 2008 technologies its very helpful project for final year engineering students for project work....