Jelly Bean rules Android devices all over the world

In a recent post shown according to Google's Android developer dashboard page, Jelly Bean is noticed to be present in around 40% of the Android devices all over the world while the older versions are fading away slowly from handsets all over the world.

An abstract image of the figures is as below

abcd

I am in 😨 fact unsure why there are around 33% of the users sticking on to Gingerbeard

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I don't agree on this, because most people are using using Custom ROMs than stock ROMs.(If they know how-to-flash, which is not rocket-science)
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Abhishek Rawal
    I don't agree on this, because most people are using using Custom ROMs than stock ROMs.(If they know how-to-flash, which is not rocket-science)
    Latest Custom ROMs are also based on release versions of JellyBean so it should be counted as Jelly bean ROM.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    ianoop
    Latest Custom ROMs are also based on release versions of JellyBean so it should be counted as Jelly bean ROM.
    Negative.

We still use/test/develop 2.3.6 based custom roms with JB & ICS features.(I am talking about old good devices which are stucked with 2.3.6 build even though their hardware is pretty good for JB/ICS )
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    That's where 33% falls with Gingerbread either custom rom or stock.
    My point is even if it's custom ROM, if it is based on 4.1/4.2/4/3 it will counted as Jellybean right.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    ianoop
    That's where 33% falls with Gingerbread either custom rom or stock.
    My point is even if it's custom ROM, if it is based on 4.1/4.2/4/3 it will counted as Jellybean right.
    I don't think a rom comes under 4.1/4.2/4.3 if the 2.3.6 build rom has features of ICS/JB. It depends on the kernel it uses & GB derivative source code, isn't it ?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    People are still sticking to the old versions of the Android because their hardware is not capable of handling jelly bean and other latest operating systems. Think about the low cost phones and tablets that were introduced in India and other countries. They had the minimum hardware to support the earlier versions of Android.

What the stats indicate is that if you are looking to develop apps on Android platform, you will have to develop for Jelly Bean.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    It depends on the kernel it uses
    Nope, Kernel's job is providing drivers to run software on specific hardware.
    Developers write custom kernel and modify original Android source code from Google to make compatible with low end devices to run ICS/JB (It may happen that some functionality may not work like camera HDR, and Google now).

For an example my younger brother is using a low end phone LG p500, officially there is no update after Gingerbread 2.3.6 but he can able to run CynogenMod 10 which is modified source of 4.1.x. So His device is now running JellyBean.

What the stats indicate is that if you are looking to develop apps on Android platform, you will have to develop for Jelly Bean.
    +1
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    #-Link-Snipped-# What I mean is,I have used plenty of CRs & none of the ROMs uses latest kernel builds. Even though a ROM uses 4.1 features in 2.3.6 based stock build,the developers uses 2.6.7 build kernel which is LTS & not 3+ build.Which means few ARM tweaks & support we lack,isn't it ? Do you know any specific reason why 2.3.6 devices dont use 3+ kernel builds ? What is change in 3+ kernels that none of GB CRs dont use it?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Nick_Sharma
    I am in 😨 fact unsure why there are around 33% of the users sticking on to Gingerbeard
    The reason could very well be ignorance. I still know quite a lot of people who aren't aware of the different flavors of Android. "I need an Android phone within the range of 8-10K. Could you suggest some phones? " - I get that a lot.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Ohh.. you ware referring to new ROM features into original old one.
    I din't used it.
    why 2.3.6 devices don't use 3+ kernel builds ?
    I am unaware of it.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

DEFCON is an annual event which takes place in Las Vegas around last week of July or first week of August. It is a paradise for hackers, security experts, tech...
My teacher was telling sustainable development is development Where I get to enjoy the privileges my parents did in addition to the comfort of the current day technology Is this...
Multi Modal locomotion is the ability of one to move in multiple modes much similar to how a human can walk or swim. EPFL has come up with a robotic...
Well the new improvement here is really pleasant makes the whole art of reading the subtitles more interesting for newbs Well here are a few pics of the newer wiki...
I have come around a number of companies with different principles and work models. Some of them are obsessed more towards customers and some towards employees. Some arguments that they...