Java Programming: Future and Scope For Developers

A lot of computer engineering students, graduates and even working professionals send us email asking for future and scope for java developers and programmers. The main aim of their question is to know whether Java programming language will be around 5-10 years from now and will there be plenty of jobs available for engineers. They want to base their career decision based on the future of Java programming language. Let's handle this important topic in this discussion.

Let's look at this question very objectively. Most people are basically looking for an assurance so that their career decision won't go wrong. The fact each one of us will have to accept is that no one in this world can predict what the future of Java will be and whether there will be jobs available. But is there a way we can secure our future as Java developers? The answer is a big, resounding YES!

The Basics Everyone Should Understand: Learning the art of programming is like learning the art of bicycling . But once you are familiar with it; you can ride any bike because you know the 'fundamentals'. The programming languages are like these bicycles. It shouldn't matter which programming language is available to you; if you know the art of programming.

Java or any programming language will keep on evolving. Always keep learning - because that's the only thing you can, and should do.

java-programming-future-scope

Java programming language has been around for a while and is likely to stay around for the next decade. Keep in mind - it may change in form, styles, frameworks used to write code etc.; but it will continue to exist. You will also see Java competing with other programming languages, and new programming languages will continue to evolve. Your strategy in such a scenario should be simple: to future-proof yourself.

Future Proof Yourself:

If you are a student or a professional who's starting to learn java or already an experienced expert, keep learning about all the new developments. The more you code, the better your coding / programming skills get. Keep in mind that these coding skills will help you pick up new languages faster than others. Typically you will be required to learn new programming languages at work; based on the project you are working on. In my own career as a software engineer; I've seen people who were experts in Java were made to work on .Net platform and vice-versa. Those who were good at programming took just few weeks to understand the new language and platform and start delivering.

Will There Be Jobs?

Any established language won't go obsolete overnight. Also, given the current state of adoption of Java I'd believe that the legacy projects will continue to be maintained for 10 to 15 years at least. That means there will always be jobs available for Java programmers. But the opportunities will be even more for those who keep learning, become experts and expand their skills-set.

Also keep in mind that the jobs will always favour experts. You should therefore always keep your skill-set and knowledge up to date. Unfortunately, there is no option to this. Either evolve or perish. You can make use of CrazyEngineers to keep yourself up to date with the latest developments and improve your coding / programming skills. There are so many talented programmers here who will be more than happy to help you.

Just for the sake of proof of what I'm saying: Search the Internet for COBOL programming jobs; you will find plenty of companies looking for the programming language that's in existence for decades. Stop worrying and start making yourself an awesome programmer. That's the only way to survive.

If you have questions, opinions, feedback; feel free to ask below.

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've seen people who were experts in Java were made to work on .Net platform and vice-versa. Those who were good at programming took just few weeks to understand the new language and platform and start delivering.
    👍

Any people who is looking for career in development job must have
    1. Logical Thinking
    2. Problem solver and alternate Solution finder (Very important)
    For example, if you are answering yes/no, you should be knowing why is that.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The Chinese phone maker Xiaomi, popularly known as the the 'Apple' of China, is building the next flagship - Mi5. While the company is closely guarding the hardware and software...
Hi everyone, i hope you all are fine.. I want to know any online electronic components sites having surplus of all components and others related products.. Thanx in advance..
How are the placements at NIELIT Calicut for PG Diploma in Embedded systems ?
I am Daniel Mensah and a 21 years of age and I am in second year at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology in Ghana and I am...
Hello! guys I am a 3rd cse year student I need some project ideas please help me!