Java or .Net - Which is better for future & career in 2023?

Java or .Net - Which is better for future & career in 2023?

Software developers have often been asking this question : From career & future prospects perspective, which is better? Is it Java or is it .Net?

This article aims to answer this question so that there is no confusion. The answers you will typically find on the Internet will be very biased because most of them are contributed by hard-core Java and .Net fans.

This article will be 100% neutral; which is what I promise. We'll invite views from our fellow engineers who've been working in Java or .Net so that we've an enriched discussion.

Update: This answer is about 10 years old. Ever since, the technology world has progressed significantly. Technologies like Blockchain and Artificial Intelligences have taken a lead in the recent years. I have updated the answer to consider latest advancements.

I however request you to read the entire answer to get a clearer perspective on the Java Vs. .Net battle from career perspective.

Updated answer towards end

Java Vs. Net : Which is better?

The first question we need to ask - can these two be compared? A 30,000 ft. view of these two will tell you that Java is a programming language (generally speaking) while .Net is a framework.

.Net, as you might know, is a platform that supports several languages viz. C#, VB.Net, F# and others.

A framework is nothing but a pool of ready-made functionality available at your fingertips when you are writing code using that framework.

Those who are interested in deeper analysis may perform search on the Internet to find out which among the two scores over the other for specific aspects.

But generally speaking; both Java and .Net are quite robust and have found applications world-wide in very complex projects.

Java or .Net, which is easier to learn?

Unfortunately - there is no clear answer to this question.

It all depends on you. I had a friend who could do Permutation/Combination & Probability related questions easily in his mind and I could never make any sense out of those questions.

If you asked him; he'd say Probability questions are easiest to answers and they were the ones 'to skip' for me.

Similarly, some of you will find Java easier to understand and master while others will think it's easier to code in C# than anything else in the world.

Career Opportunities In Java Vs. .Net

This is where things get interesting. The hiring scenario these days requires you to know multiple things.

For example, you'll rarely see job openings that say "Java Programmers Required" or ".Net Programmers Required". You'll typically find job openings that require J2EE, JSF for those who know Java and C#, SQL server and other MS tech for .Net folks.

The point to note is that - you will have to keep learning and keep improving your knowledge no matter which career path you choose.

Both Java developers and .Net developers have been in demand for the last few years and I don't see that changing in near future.

No one can predict which technology would continue to be hot in coming months and years.

Which is better for future?

Instead of worrying about that; why not make yourself future-proof?

Like I just said, no one can predict the future in the technology domain; because things change here every single minute.

As a software engineer / developer - you should *not* stick to any specific language; yet master one that you are currently working on. Let me make it very clear : You need to be master of at least one and jack of several!

Any programming language is just a set of tools that help you implement logic.

If you hone your logic skills; you should be able to get comfortable with any programming language, tool or framework within short time.

I've seen that happen with few of my ex-colleagues.

Start with any - and learn it with all the interest and try to be excellent. If you pick up Java; don't hate .Net and vice-versa.

If your current job demands C# and ASP; learn it. If you are just starting out with a big IT company that has not told you which profile they will assign to you; it just doesn't matter.

Ultimately - you'll end up becoming managers:

...and then you'll will play with excel, power-point and outlook.

No more 'coding' will be required from your part and all you will do is monitor your team's performance.

A solid understanding of the technology will definitely help.

Ultimately - there's no clear and direct answer to the question we started with. Pick up any and get started.

You will know what decisions to make in your career. Of course, CrazyEngineers will always be with you to help you make decisions.

Update: I said you'll end up becoming managers and looks like there's an objection to it. I'm very well aware that many companies offer 'technical career track' where the developers can choose to be developers and still grown in the position.

Update 18 June, 2016: This article was written years ago; but the information still holds true. A lot of our fellow engineers write to enquire which language / domain they should pick.

While the markets seem to have ample opportunities for both Java as well as .Net developers, you need to understand that the world of technology keeps evolving.

In the next few years - I believe there will plenty of opportunities in the wearable technologies domain. You should also look at various web technologies that are modern and are in demand. If you have specific questions, feel free to ask in this ongoing discussion.

If you have questions; feel free to ask them here.

Updated: Java Vs. .Net in 2023

Let's dive into the comparison of Java and .NET for career opportunities, focusing on both current market trends and future perspectives, including AI and Blockchain.

It's worth mentioning, however, that both Java and .NET have extensive usage, huge developer communities, and broad applicability in many technological sectors, making them both strong career paths.

Which one is 'better' may largely depend on specific career goals, personal interests, geographical location, and the industry you're aiming to work in.

Java

1. AI and Machine Learning: Java is widely used in AI and ML owing to its simplicity, scalability, and ease of debugging. There are numerous libraries available in Java for AI, such as Deeplearning4j, Weka, Java-ML, etc. Career-wise, if you are inclined towards AI/ML, having Java in your skillset can be beneficial.

2. Blockchain: Java is also a popular choice in the world of Blockchain. It's employed in various Blockchain projects, and even Ethereum, a widely used Blockchain platform, can be programmed using Java. If you're interested in Blockchain technology, having experience in Java could lead to roles in developing and maintaining Blockchain systems.

3. Job Opportunities: Java has been a popular choice among employers for a long time, and this trend doesn't seem to be changing. Whether you're an experienced professional or a fresh graduate, there are plenty of job opportunities in various sectors, such as web development, app development, embedded systems, big data, etc.

4. Future perspective: Since Java has been around for a while and is consistently updated to keep pace with evolving technologies, it seems likely that it will remain relevant in the future. Its wide use in enterprise solutions, robustness, and scalability makes it a safe bet.

.NET

1. AI and Machine Learning: .NET, particularly with C#, can also be used for AI and ML. Microsoft offers several tools for AI/ML in .NET like ML.NET, CNTK (Microsoft Cognitive Toolkit), and Accord.NET. While it's not as popular as Python or Java for AI/ML, it's growing, especially in applications tied to the Microsoft ecosystem.

2. Blockchain: .NET is less commonly used in Blockchain development compared to languages like Java, Python, or C++. However, it can still be used for Blockchain development, and there's a Blockchain framework called Stratis specifically designed for .NET.

3. Job Opportunities: .NET is heavily used in enterprise and business applications, especially within the Microsoft ecosystem. There are ample job opportunities for both experienced professionals and fresh graduates.

4. Future perspective: Microsoft has been making consistent efforts to keep .NET relevant and up-to-date. With .NET 5 and .NET 6, they have unified the .NET platform, improving its capabilities for cross-platform development. This, combined with Microsoft's robust backing, suggests .NET will continue to be relevant in the future.

Concluding Thoughts:

When it comes to choosing between Java and .NET, it largely depends on your personal career objectives and interests.

If you're more inclined towards AI, ML, and Blockchain, Java might be the better choice due to its wide use in these fields.

However, if you're interested in enterprise and business applications, particularly within the Microsoft ecosystem, .NET would be a solid choice.

For fresh graduates, both offer great opportunities.

It might be worth considering the job market in your specific location, as some regions may have more demand for one over the other.

For experienced professionals, it can be beneficial to learn both, but if you have to choose, consider the tech stack of the sector or company you aim to work in.

Regardless, both Java and .NET are powerful tools in the world of software development and can offer great career prospects.

The key is to continue learning and stay updated with the latest trends and advancements in your chosen language.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you have specific questions related to your career choices. I will be happy to help.

Replies

• X-Engineer
    X-Engineer
    Good and Informative Post...

As u said in the last ...ending up with Managers...Is there any alternative to that...

Its almost 4 years in line that I have been into the technical (IT)field and i dont want to be in the managerial role...
    As I know Technical Architects and other Technical Officerial duties can be Ok.

Thats why I ask you once again if it possible to continue with the technical part rather than working on Excel Sheets(which I still dont know much)
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @#-Link-Snipped-# - yes, there is an alternative to that; however it totally depends on your company. There are several companies that let their employees follow a purely technical path - leading to destinations like 'software architect', like you mentioned in your post.

However, as you'd imagine - you'll need fair amount of expertise in the domain you've worked on - be it Java or .Net. I've known several people who started their careers with Java and and still coding in Java and are at the 'architect' level. There are people who began in Java, were made to work in .Net technologies and still did a fantastic job. The key here, as I said, is to make yourself future-proof; ready to accept any new technology / language / tool / framework that your work requires.

To cut the long story short - yes; staying in technical field is possible if you want. It doesn't matter whether you are into Java or .Net. All that matters is you should be excellent at what you are doing and choose to work with the company that lets you follow the career path of your choice. I think most of the big IT companies in India let you do that. Would need a confirmation from fellow CEans though.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    I am a Technical Architect and still do coding. So, no, one doesn't necessarily end up as manager if one doesn't want to.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Anand Tamariya
    I am a Technical Architect and still do coding. So, no, one doesn't necessarily end up as manager if one doesn't want to.
    How does the technical career path look like in your organisation? Not many companies offer that liberty and frankly speaking not many engineers are willing to stay 'technical' all their life.
  • Lindsey Eastburn
    Lindsey Eastburn
    Good discussion, but there is one statement with which I take issue:
    "Java is a programming language (generally speaking) while .Net is a framework." The .Net CLR follows the same paradigm as the JVM. Both utilize an intermediate code layer. There's a good article at #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Lindsey Eastburn
    Good discussion, but there is one statement with which I take issue:
    "Java is a programming language (generally speaking) while .Net is a framework." The .Net CLR follows the same paradigm as the JVM. Both utilize an intermediate code layer. There's a good article at #-Link-Snipped-#
    I agree. I should have been clearer. Thank you for the link; it's indeed a good read!
  • Sumit Thakur
    Sumit Thakur
    I agree with the discussion made above by the admin. The fact is Sir, that People today assumes .NET as a programming language and sometimes they use .NET for C#. The developers who work on .NET uses C# most and that's why this ambiguation is made. The actual difference should be made between C#.net and JAVA.

One fictional difference between .NET and JAVA here in Northern region is that if people want to work in the south extension of India such as Bangalore, Hyderabad etc. then they should pursue JAVA further and if they want to work in Delhi, Noida, Gurgaon then they should pursue .NET which actually is framework.
  • Mayur Potnis
    Mayur Potnis
    I am into .Net from last 5+ years and i want to change bcoz i feel there is saturation and hence not getting paid enough. Which other technologies should I opt in like BigData, Mobile apps etc
  • Nitesh Puri
    Nitesh Puri
    Kaustub, I have been working with a company in Punjab for two years..company has its own programming language named "webPlus "....my position there is software integrator.
    I have undergone the industrial training in java during college time.
    Now I want to make a shift in another java or .net company but facing the difficulties in making the shift as i forgot the concepts of java and each company ask me the questions as per 2 years experience
    Please suggest me which platform I should choose...java or .net or any else ?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Mayur Potnis
    I am into .Net from last 5+ years and i want to change bcoz i feel there is saturation and hence not getting paid enough. Which other technologies should I opt in like BigData, Mobile apps etc
    Looks like we missed your post.

The only way to deal with the saturation is to upgrade your kills and rise above everyone else who's saturating. Instead of opting for a complete shift; I'd recommend finding something that gives you a mix of .Net and the hot technologies today like BigData and Cloud. .Net definitely has applications in both - and you'll have to find out how to find a right mix.

Mobile Apps is also an interesting domain but with your .Net knowledge - I think the immediate application might be in development of apps for Windows platform (both Desktops and Mobiles).

Ultimately, the technology that you opt for as to attract your deep interest. The only way to figure it out is by trying to learn as much you can about them. I hope this helps. Let us know if you have more questions.

Nitesh Puri
    but facing the difficulties in making the shift as i forgot the concepts of java and each company ask me the questions as per 2 years experience
    Please suggest me which platform I should choose...java or .net or any else ?
    If you are switching company then I'd recommend picking up a company where you will stay at least for 2-3 years in order to build your profile. Java or .Net are both in demand and the salaries will be decided by the hiring company and the profile being offered.

I'd recommend spending some time with .Net as you've already exposure to Java and find out which one looks more interesting to you - and then make the choice accordingly. It's very important to be extremely interested in the technology or domain you are working in. No one, but you, can answer which technology will suit you more. If you are good - companies will go to any limits to hire you.
  • Nitesh Puri
    Nitesh Puri
    Thanks kaustab...that was a very helpul opinion....one thing I forgot to ask is that if I stay in my current software integrator profile for some more time... would it be beneficial in future for me ?
    Do software integrator profile has scope in india ?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Nitesh Puri
    Thanks kaustab...that was a very helpul opinion....one thing I forgot to ask is that if I stay in my current software integrator profile for some more time... would it be beneficial in future for me ?
    Do software integrator profile has scope in india ?
    I do not know much about the profile of a software integrator. Stay in the job if you like it and keep an eye on the latest developments in the domain. You will have your answers automatically.
  • amey kulkarni
    amey kulkarni
    hello sir i am from EXTC background
    and want to switch in software
    so before doing any course can u please suggest according to lates trends in market what to do is it java or .net or testing
  • shashikantsaroha
    shashikantsaroha
    Sir,I m b.tech graduate,,, m confuse what to do...i learn android ,java..... now i couldn,t decide which one i choose to make my carrier...
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    shashikantsaroha
    Sir,I m b.tech graduate,,, m confuse what to do...i learn android ,java..... now i couldn,t decide which one i choose to make my carrier...
    IMO you can learn Java first and then go for android, (it'll be easier that way)
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    shashikantsaroha
    Sir,I m b.tech r graduate,,, m confuse what to do...i learn android ,java..... now i couldn,t decide which one i choose to make my carrier...
    How do you plan to make one of them you career? If you love Android, you can start developing simple apps for Play Store and build your portfolio. If you love Core Java, you could go for it too.
    Like #-Link-Snipped-# said here, Java can help you clear basic concepts and help you in coding Java. While most Android applications are written in Java-like language, there are many differences between the Java API and the Android API. So, choose to go step by step.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Here are my 2 cents on the topic of future of .net developers in India -

According to PayScale.com report, an ASP. NET developer earns an average salary of approximately Rs. 2.4 Lakh per year in India. If the developer has an additional skill in jQuery, it is associated with high pay for this job. People in this job generally don't have more than 10 years' experience.

That said, the future of .net developers in India surely does look bright. One of the reasons is that Microsoft has been giving special attention to make .Net popular in India. Certain reports and statistics suggest that 80,000+ jobs in .net are created every year in this country. 100s of .net programming groups are created online exclusively by Indians, who also meet offline and share knowledge, solve doubts etc. Moreover, with training institutes booming in every city and village, it's been seen that 75% of them provide .net training and Microsoft certification.

The reason behind this increased affinity towards and popularity of .Net is that the biggest tech companies in India have huge offshore software projects, that run in number of modules for years together.

At the end of the day, a programmer must keep adopting & adapting to be truly successful with the changing times! One thing is for sure, if you develop your skills in .Net today, it is only going to help you manifold in the future.
  • sahil chhabra
    sahil chhabra
    sir i am a b.tech(cse) 2nd year student and i really don't know about which language is better and i think i am not intrested in coding or we can say that weak logical skills.Sir please help me to choose my future language .how can create interest in languages.If i choose java or .net then which basic language c++ is require or not because i dont know about a single word about c++.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    sahil chhabra
    about which language is better and i think i am not intrested in coding or we can say that weak logical skills.Sir please help me to choose my future language
    The real problem is the one I've bolded. If you are not interested in coding, you will NEVER be able to master any programming language or become exceptionally successful in your career. That's set in stone, buddy.

BUT, you CAN develop interest in programming, and it's VERY easy to do it. Because once you develop interest in programming, you will be able to master multiple programming languages. If that happens, I need not tell you that you will be extremely successful in any company that you join. So how do you do it?

Finding out ONE STRONG REASON for you to learn coding. It could be that you want to be very successful, travel around the world, be able to drive your dream car, buy a great home for your family - or anything that's personal to you, and goes with your personal ambition. Convince yourself that developing interest in programming is what you need to do for that that ONE STRONG REASON.

Enjoy programming. All our CEans are out there to help you with your coding difficulties.
  • Rutvi106
    Rutvi106
    Hello, I am a pre-final year student. I have an elective subject to choose for my next semester. The options available are .net, data mining & web technology management. Which one would be the best choice? Basically my field of interest is Java and software development.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    If you already know a bit of Java and interested in it. There is no point going with .net as elective subject.
    Data mining : You will get to know a bit of inside of DB .
    Web technology management: How the client server and networks works, depends on the syllabus.
    Choose either of them which seems interesting to you.
  • Rutvi106
    Rutvi106
    Thank you for the suggestion. Our faculties say that .net is going to help us for our projects in final year. Is it really helpful in android programming related project?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Rutvi106
    Thank you for the suggestion. Our faculties say that .net is going to help us for our projects in final year. Is it really helpful in android programming related project?
    The right thing to do is to ask your faculty why they think .net is going to be useful for your projects over Java. I doubt .net helps in Android Programming; but yeah, you ought to know about Java.
  • msec123
    msec123
    Both are equally good and heavily paid. What is important is how much expertise you attain. The more you brush up your skills the more you earn. No language is superior to other it all depends on us how we are good ourselves..
  • Rutvi106
    Rutvi106
    Thank you once again. I would also like to know the career opportunities in Information Security, the subject I love to learn. I have heard that in India there are very few scopes for the same.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Ultimately - you'll end up becoming managers:

...and then you'll will play with excel, power-point and outlook.
    Playing with excel is still cool! 😛

I'm not a programmer, but after about some years in the Telco industry, it looks like I would dive deep into it soon because software is dominating every facet in the industry. Seems like everything is being software defined.
  • kritika2319
    kritika2319
    I'm a cs student. I'm totally confused what should i choose java or .net because i don't know much about both of these. Would you please help me which one should i choose?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    kritika2319
    I'm a cs student. I'm totally confused what should i choose java or .net because i don't know much about both of these. Would you please help me which one should i choose?
    Frankly speaking, it does not matter. Pick up any technology / language of your choice and make sure that you develop mastery in it. You should be able to do small to medium sized projects on your own.

Ultimately, the technology you will work on will be decided by the company that recruits you. What you should focus on is to develop your programming skills; which are independent of language.
  • Kedar Kulkarni
    Kedar Kulkarni
    Hi, I am electronic engineer prof trying to switch to IT. will good percentage in 10,12 required in companies working on java or knowledge and craziness will provide me job?
  • kritika2319
    kritika2319
    thank you sir....I would also like to know about career in web designing.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    kritika2319
    thank you sir....I would also like to know about career in web designing.
    It'd be nice if you ask specific questions.
  • Tirth Patel
    Tirth Patel
    I am a IT student. I have experience in c and c++.
    Now i want to learn and develop my career in C#.
    So, my que. :- Is c# helpful to get job in US. Because my friend told me that c# and .net has future in India only. So can i go for c# or for JAVA ???
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Tirth Patel
    Because my friend told me that c# and .net has future in India only.
    What was your friend's reasoning to conclude that C# and .Net has future in India only? It'd be important to know his/her point of view so that we can take the discussion forward.
  • GauravbrYadav
    GauravbrYadav
    Sir I am confused for joining dot net or java centre
    .I had completed my btech in information technology. I had also completed dot net training of 45 days .what I have to do .Please suggest me
  • Amrish kumar
    Amrish kumar
    i am btech graduate from ece background palaced in software company as a java developer profile but i do not known about any programing language but i am interested .so what shall i do . need ur suggestion
  • Darshan Balu
    Darshan Balu
    Sir, i completed MCA but have knowledge of C & C++ languages only. I want to start my career in .net (out-sourcing) field. So please suggest me what courses & trainings should i join to become an expert.
  • Pranita dharmarao
    Pranita dharmarao
    Hello sir m completed mcs computer science .and I dnt undstand which lang m selected java or .net for carrier please help me sir...
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Looks like I totally missed this discussion. Here we go!

GauravbrYadav
    Sir I am confused for joining dot net or java centre
    .I had completed my btech in information technology. I had also completed dot net training of 45 days .what I have to do .Please suggest me
    You've already completed .net training and I think you should focus on finding jobs in .net. Frankly speaking, you will get a job based on how good you are at one technology; not how many you are 'exposed' to.

Amrish kumar
    i am btech graduate from ece background palaced in software company as a java developer profile but i do not known about any programing language but i am interested .so what shall i do . need ur suggestion
    Start learning! If you are total newbie to coding and have never coded, I'd recommend getting a 'head first Java' book. It will not only keep you interested in the language but also teach you the basics. That should be enough for you to start.

Darshan Balu
    Sir, i completed MCA but have knowledge of C & C++ languages only. I want to start my career in .net (out-sourcing) field. So please suggest me what courses & trainings should i join to become an expert.
    Just having knowledge of C or C++ won't help. You will have to build your skills-set to be master in any programming language of your choice. If you wish to get into .Net, you should aim for a certification in any .net supported language. That should be a good start.

Pranita dharmarao
    Hello sir m completed mcs computer science .and I dnt undstand which lang m selected java or .net for carrier please help me sir...
    You can have equally good opportunities as a Java or a .Net coder. Please do read the first post in this discussion. There are few companies that will work on Java and others will work on .net. Your best bet is to pick up one and try to attain mastery in it. You should be able to code small projects on your own.
  • maitu111
    maitu111
    i'm very confused to choose my right career path.I heard that web developing is a bright career and later got to know that i have to learn at least 3-4 languages like html,css,javascript,php etc. It seems very hard to learn these many as i am weak in programming. can anyone suggest me step by step method so i can easily deal with this problem and can become a web developer?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    maitu111
    s i am weak in programming
    The only way to have a bright career in web development is to be exceptionally good at web programming languages. You based your decision on what people say - and it dose not seem to be in sync with what you like.

Identify your interests and the career that you'd like to have for yourself.
  • maitu111
    maitu111
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The only way to have a bright career in web development is to be exceptionally good at web programming languages. You based your decision on what people say - and it dose not seem to be in sync with what you like.

Identify your interests and the career that you'd like to have for yourself.
    thank you so much 😀
  • Yukkendar
    Yukkendar
    maitu111
    i'm very confused to choose my right career path.I heard that web developing is a bright career and later got to know that i have to learn at least 3-4 languages like html,css,javascript,php etc. It seems very hard to learn these many as i am weak in programming. can anyone suggest me step by step method so i can easily deal with this problem and can become a web developer?
    Learn from w3schools and tutorialpoint website, very easy step to learn everything programing language
  • yogeshpawar0023
    yogeshpawar0023
    Dear Friends,

Hi, I am yogesh. i completed my graduation in last month and want your suggetion in technology field. please help me which track is best for me either ccnp or .net developer which can provide me best career.

what to do either networking or .net development please suggest me and send me mail on my mail id #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Chances are very low that someone will send you an email when this is a public forum and queries are answered right here. Regarding your question of

CCNP Vs Dot Net
    Do understand that we will be able to better advise you if you tell us about academic details, work experience (if any), certifications, (if any), other hands-on/project experience if you have any and also details about what motivates you. A lot is dependent on all that when you make a career altering choice.
  • MandeepS
    MandeepS
    Hi.. i have 11 month exp. on java but now i am assigned to work on .net. will it put effect on my career.. .. i have good knowledge of java as well....
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    MandeepS
    Hi.. i have 11 month exp. on java but now i am assigned to work on .net. will it put effect on my career.. .. i have good knowledge of java as well....
    I'm not sure what you are saying. You are getting to learn more skills; that should only have positive impact on your career.
  • GovindPahariya
    GovindPahariya
    Hi, I m working with a top Indian MNC in Environment Support team in Unisys main frame. This work is very much monotonous and isn't helping me grow as a software engineer. By working in this team I have even forgot the basic concepts of programming. Its been around 4 yrs and now I want to switch which I know will require a lot of hard work. But I am ready for it, the only confusion here is the career path to start with, JAVA or .Net or some other programming language. Please help me out.
  • GovindPahariya
    GovindPahariya
    One more thing.... what would be better BA or software Engineer.
  • Virajithmaliye
    Virajithmaliye
    Hello sir,i am BE graduate from ECE background.I had some programming languages like microprossesors, microcontrollers, HDL etc as my subject.I liked some subjects and some programming subjects i hated it to the core.
    But i dont know anything about java or .net .I have 0% details about both of them.But many IT jobs expect java or .net.
    So which one should i prefer??how can i know that I am interested in java or .net.should i go to any career counseller.pls help me sir
  • joginderbhandral
    joginderbhandral
    i got training offer in "java and android " or ".net and web technlogy"
    pls help me to solve this problem in which technology is best for future.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    joginderbhandral
    i got training offer in "java and android " or ".net and web technlogy"
    pls help me to solve this problem in which technology is best for future.
    As you can guess, no one can really predict what technology will be the better for future. All the technologies you said will continue to exist in future and all you should worry about is which technology can you master and become the best.
  • Elisa Gracedd
    Elisa Gracedd
    I have worked with each ASP.NET and JAVA. I have worked with large organizations that have moved from JAVA to ASP.NET

I have been a part of a team that designed a ASP.NET net application that handled 300,000 credit card transactions in an hour.

There are advantages and disadvantages to each language. Having expertise with each ASP.NET and JAVA I would tell you it doesn't matter.

ASP.NET has two characteristics that I prefer over JAVA. The obvious one is ASP.NET integrates with Microsoft better. If you would like to figure with Windows, Office, Direct X, or other Microsoft Technologies then ASP.NET is the way to go. Microsoft is often making innovative and interesting technology that having an understanding in their systems is great for getting in on leading edge concepts.

Read full information at
  • vignesh30
    vignesh30
    hi I am Doing ECE final year now .............I am going to study DOTNET it really helpfull for my career ?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    vignesh30
    .I am going to study DOTNET it really helpfull for my career ?
    Yes, it will.
  • vignesh30
    vignesh30
    did DONOT has future scope because 2016 I going to passed out.
    A thing is really need good job sir.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    vignesh30
    did DONOT has future scope because 2016 I going to passed out.
    A thing is really need good job sir.
    Yes, .NET has future scope because it's being developed by Microsoft and I doubt they'll let it die anytime soon. There should be plenty of jobs available for .net developers who are talented and can show some expertise.
  • Bala Krishna Ceeparseti
    Bala Krishna Ceeparseti
    Java is open source where as .net is not an open source and from financial aspects, not many companies can afford them until n unless it is a Microsoft.
    Java can run on any os whereas .net can run only on windows.
    .net can be used for rich graphical user interfaces whereas java is not very much compatible with .net in this aspect.
    Java provides us many ways to negotiate with different vendors of their choice
    Both are object oriented, type safe and offer different tools for application development.
    .Net suffers from flexibilty whereas java is rich in it but .net makes up in speed execution.
    Both has its own importance but if u ask me to pick one i would say java coz I'm workin on it and i love it !!..... 😁 😛
  • vignesh30
    vignesh30
    ceeparseti
    Java is open source where as .net is not an open source and from financial aspects, not many companies can afford them until n unless it is a Microsoft.
    Java can run on any os whereas .net can run only on windows.
    .net can be used for rich graphical user interfaces whereas java is not very much compatible with .net in this aspect.
    Java provides us many ways to negotiate with different vendors of their choice
    Both are object oriented, type safe and offer different tools for application development.
    .Net suffers from flexibilty whereas java is rich in it but .net makes up in speed execution.
    Both has its own importance but if u ask me to pick one i would say java coz I'm workin on it and i love it !!..... 😁 😛
  • vignesh30
    vignesh30
    U quite make difficult to choose but As I'm Ece I better go with .net quite Im thinking is right ?(did I go java it will change my line)
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    vignesh30
    U quite make difficult to choose but As I'm Ece I better go with .net quite Im thinking is right ?(did I go java it will change my line)
    It'd help if you take out some time to explain your question a bit in more detail so that we don't have to make assumptions?
  • Kartiksharma25
    Kartiksharma25
    Kaustubh,Hello there.
    I have Electronics background. However,I have lost my taste in Vlsi designing,testing as I find it very complex . I want to go for Computer and IT domains,Starting with C++ and .Net. So,Would .Net be good enough for me? I don't like coding etc.
    Kartik Sharma
    B.tech,ECE,2013
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Kartiksharma25
    I don't like coding etc.
    I'm really not sure what you are trying to do. You do not like coding - and you are asking if .NET would be good for you. The answer is 'No'. If you don't like coding, you should not think about software engineering.

Your best bet is to find a domain associated with electronics / hardware / networking etc. and then seek various ways to enter it. You might even think about QA; but that field will require you to code.

The basic exercise you should do is to find out what your area of interest is and what your skills are. You can then work your way to your dream career.
  • Alice Smith
    Alice Smith
    It depends upon developer interest. I prefer ASP.NET because it is easy to understand and server-side web application Framework.
  • Rafał Piotrowicz
    Rafał Piotrowicz
    Great. I plan to start become a developer - now i'm automated tester. And I think what will be better java or dot.net. I know both c# and java(this better). So I agree with you. I focus on java but i will lear c# too.
  • Uj199
    Uj199
    Sir, i am pursuing B.Tech from IP university and is presently in 3rd year . I use to code in JAVA language for whatever problem or programme i am given. Now i dont know how to get hired by good companies beacuse they dont want only JAVA, but many languages as well with expertise as written on their requirements page, so where should i focus ,doing codecheff or problem on SPOJ ,or should i read books on Data Structures .... I just dont know where to go .Plz help sir

Thanks in advance
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - You need to be really good at Java and that's one thing you should really focus on. I'd recommend that you should get certification in Java; and that too, while you are in college.

Apart from that, you need to focus on cracking aptitude tests and personal interviews. You will get lot of help on both these fronts here on CrazyEngineers. Don't worry about other languages and tools; because you will learn them on the job. Your first priority should be to get entry into the IT industry; everything else will follow automatically.
  • Dev Kumar Pradhan
    Dev Kumar Pradhan
    Sir I like ur article, and now I want to learn dot net with full interest and I wish a job in Bangalore and currently I worked in non technical field in Metlife insurance company as I had done bca and MCA....
  • Lindsey Eastburn
    Lindsey Eastburn
    Perhaps, with all the emphasis on "coding" as a career path, some are losing sight of the purpose and principles for which coding serves as a tool. It's like learning to use any tool - a good investment in time and energy - but one should also have a purpose for that tool. I think the engineering principles behind software development help us maintain a larger view, and a perspective on the reasons we code. Even someone who doesn't care to code, or who's not particularly skilled or fast at coding, can be a great software designer. Just as a novelist isn't necessarily the one who types fastest, someone who uses software to create solutions may not be a great coder but may have great analytical insights. So on the topic of Java vs. .Net I think the proof is in the usefulness. There is no final answer, only problems to be solved.
  • rahul priyaranjan
    rahul priyaranjan
    hi.. i am in 4th year eee stream here in bangalore. i am in a bit of confusion what to learn in ITsector as i know nothing much. i see alot of people discussing where to start from.I learned basics of C++ for my placements and i got selected in one of major it company infosys. so i need a lil help what to start from.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - Super agree. In India, most of the engineers are looking to get into services industry which thrives on Java and .Net developers mostly; and the main concern is which technology will offer them better pay packages and salaries. Not many engineers intend to join these companies with an aim to be a problem solver. For most, the technology doesn't matter as long as they're getting paid. Sad truth!

Just look at the question above! Infosys is one of the biggest IT companies in India and the candidates recruited from engineering campuses have no clue about programming, testing, networking or other aspects. 😀

It's kind of tough to guide them.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    rahul priyaranjan
    hi.. i am in 4th year eee stream here in bangalore. i am in a bit of confusion what to learn in ITsector as i know nothing much. i see alot of people discussing where to start from.I learned basics of C++ for my placements and i got selected in one of major it company infosys. so i need a lil help what to start from.
    Well, C++ is definitely a good start. Your next step should be to learn as much as you can about C++ and try developing small projects on your own so that you can learn OOP concepts and get a good hold of programming. Here's an article that may get you make the first move: What is the best way to learn programming?
  • sachintiwari
    sachintiwari
    hello sahil chhabra.
    thanks for sharing good info about java and .net.
    could you tell me what is economy of selection on both technology in IT world.
    am waiting for your reply
  • sachintiwari
    sachintiwari
    hello sahil chhabra.
  • BINS
    BINS
    Sir,
    I am an ECE graduate and I would like to switch to IT field. I have got some basics about C. Now, I have planned to go for some software training course. I am confused about choosing which language to take. Some told me that .net adoption is decreasing and learning java alone is not good, but with a framework is good. What should I do?
  • vkssah
    vkssah
    Sir i am prefinal year student . And i have done java courses earlier and want to ask that which course is beneficial after java.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    sachintiwari
    Didn't get your question, sorry. Could you rephrase it, please?

BINS
    I am confused about choosing which language to take. Some told me that .net adoption is decreasing and learning java alone is not good, but with a framework is good. What should I do?
    Aim to learn 'programming' and not just a 'language'. You'll soon realise that if you know how to 'code', learning any new programming language will take no more than 2 weeks! You just need to make yourself familiar with the concepts involved in programming - structural code, how object oriented programming works, how conditional loops, arrays, methods work, how files are read and so on. You will be able to pick up any language if you focus on learning to 'program' than learning a 'language'.

...and you can do that by picking any good language - be it Java or any .Net language. If you're confused, start with Java; even C++ would be a good start.

vkssah
    Sir i am prefinal year student . And i have done java courses earlier and want to ask that which course is beneficial after java.
    You need to focus on being awesome at Java than learning multiple languages. If you're already familiar with Java and have developed good amount of skills in Java programming; you might look at Android development or even grasp some web programming related tools and languages.
  • Sudeep Nadig
    Sudeep Nadig
    Hello Guys,
    I have worked in the six years of the more technical experience with an IT company and not enough to to weaken salary because of market loss and skills are predictable stability and growth average learning..I should new career for cloud field opportunities will change and get huge demand wage scale and close off this current experience?
    3 years of .NET developer
    2 years as an Oracle DBA
    1 year as Testing.
    Awaiting your respond and suggestion. I need to push right one direction and one step from all steps and direction are big struggle.
  • Sudeep Nadig
    Sudeep Nadig
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm really not sure what you are trying to do. You do not like coding - and you are asking if .NET would be good for you. The answer is 'No'. If you don't like coding, you should not think about software engineering.
    Your best bet is to find a domain associated with electronics / hardware / networking etc. and then seek various ways to enter it. You might even think about QA; but that field will require you to code.
    The basic exercise you should do is to find out what your area of interest is and what your skills are. You can then work your way to your dream career.
    Do #-Link-Snipped-# MVC. It is much cooler, much more productive and elegant.
    Don't learn things one by one: you need to know a lot of stuff to be a good web developer: c#, #-Link-Snipped-# mvc, entity-framework, some client-side skills, I suggest angularjs, .... Start with a quick guide that combines all of them in a few hours learning, like a video, and then start practicing to be able to reproduce what the do.
    After that, you should start to take your understanding of each technology to the next level. You need to know the languages (c#, javascript), the framework (#-Link-Snipped-# mvc and angularjs), the client-side (html5, css, angularjs), the security concerns, ...
    Don't keep the others waiting till you master one, this will take forever. Advance them little by little, together.
  • Sudeep Nadig
    Sudeep Nadig
    sachintiwari
    hello sahil chhabra.
    Corporations will find it tough to settle on a single development architecture such as .Net or Java 2 Enterprise Edition (J2EE), "unless they are the size of a dentist's office. Go learning for .NET Framework and average pay around 2.5 LPA and put to practice project and gain experience in your growth and easy to tag from toolbar and some small coding . Java doesn't have tag or drag but you have typing a coding could be waste your time.
  • Sainath Jadhav
    Sainath Jadhav
    Hello Sir ,I have completed engineering in ETC now i want to switch in IT development .
    i have recently completed c programming course now i want to learn JAVA but my freinds told me that you should learn c++ first .Is it neccesary to learn c++ before java. please suggest me.
  • Prasann Goud
    Prasann Goud
    Being an electrical engineer , I am so confused to take whether java or .net? Few says java is too hard to learn. But .net is just like drag and dump. Am good at c language, I mean intermediate level. Can I survive Java ? Or shall I go to .net or DBMS. Most of my friends in software really not doing their own programming. They are doing like testing , or DBMS etc. But I felt these languages are to b learned just to enter the software field. Need to decide tomorrow and join on Wednesday. Please help
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - It's impossible to classify any language as 'too hard' to learn. Hard or easy would actually depend upon individual skills, knack, experience, aptitude et al. You've not mentioned anything about the purpose of learning a programming language or your background. With incomplete information; it's really difficult to offer any meaningful suggestions.
  • Ranjan_2016
    Ranjan_2016
    Hii i have done my oracle dba course and i am searching as junior DBA .But in industry 95% company need minimum 2-3 year experience candidate.So wanna to change my career with .net or java .please guide me something what to do in this risk stage.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Ranjan_2016
    Hii i have done my oracle dba course and i am searching as junior DBA .But in industry 95% company need minimum 2-3 year experience candidate.So wanna to change my career with .net or java .please guide me something what to do in this risk stage.
    It's not a risk at all. Any skill that you add will definitely enhance your chances of finding employment.

Do you already know JAVA or .net? If yes, your first priority should be to find a entry-level job in the technology domain of your choice; and then take it forward from there.

Keep in mind that job markets are tough these days and you'll have to be exceptionally good at your technology.
  • SANIL BHOSALE
    SANIL BHOSALE
    Sir, I have completed MCA. Also did Certification course in .Net technologies like C#, Html 5, ASP.Net MVC. But still I am not getting job. Some people are saying Java has more scope & most of the banking sectors use java. I personally feel that if .net dose not have scope than why there are jobs for higher level like Lead & all.
    I am very confused to choose between .net & java. Sometimes I feel I had done mistake by choosing .net. At second moment I think what if I did java & could not got job then I thought it would be better I have done .Net.

So. I am very frustrated because I am not getting job & now parents forcing me to do java certification. I know both java & .net have equal opportunity, then why I am not getting job. Sir, Kindly guide me as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    SANIL BHOSALE
    I am very confused to choose between .net & java.
    Have you read the first post in the entire discussion?
    SANIL BHOSALE
    then why I am not getting job.
    You haven't told us the complete story.

1. How many jobs did you apply to and through what channels?
    2. Did you get a call to write test / interview etc.?
    3. If you got the call; at what step did you fail?
  • SANIL BHOSALE
    SANIL BHOSALE
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Have you read the first post in the entire discussion?

You haven't told us the complete story.

1. How many jobs did you apply to and through what channels?
    2. Did you get a call to write test / interview etc.?
    3. If you got the call; at what step did you fail?
    Q 1) I am applying through Job sites like Naukri.com, shine, timesjob & linkedin.

Q2) Not yet. They are asking me "Do you have any experience?". How can I get experience without companies select me?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    SANIL BHOSALE
    Q2) Not yet. They are asking me "Do you have any experience?". How can I get experience without companies select me?
    The existing job portals are more or less useless these days. I'll recommend that you should look at smaller companies in your city so that you can build some experience. You should be able to talk to the owners directly.

In the mean time, I'd also recommend begin working as a freelancer; which should give you some exposure to actual, real-life projects.

Build a portfolio of projects so that you can showcase your skills. Any recruiter will be far more interested in someone who's shown the abilities.
  • SANIL BHOSALE
    SANIL BHOSALE
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The existing job portals are more or less useless these days. I'll recommend that you should look at smaller companies in your city so that you can build some experience. You should be able to talk to the owners directly.

In the mean time, I'd also recommend begin working as a freelancer; which should give you some exposure to actual, real-life projects.

Build a portfolio of projects so that you can showcase your skills. Any recruiter will be far more interested in someone who's shown the abilities.
    Sir, I am also sending my resume on companies career page email. Will that do?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    SANIL BHOSALE
    Sir, I am also sending my resume on companies career page email. Will that do?
    You may keep doing that; but you need to have something striking in your resume. If a recruiter opens your email and finds it like just every other resume; they're likely to delete it.
  • SUDHEER KUMAR.A
    SUDHEER KUMAR.A
    Hello Sir,
    this is Sudheer Kumar from Hyderabad.Actually i completed my B.Com (computers).Iam interested in IT Sector. So iam so confused to learn .Net or Java or Hadoop please can u help me to choose any one.i am much interested in IT Filed. Moreover i dont now anything in .Net or Java or Hadoop i am a Beginner but i am so much interested sir.please Help to choose my career.
    thanks in advance
    @#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    SUDHEER KUMAR.A
    So iam so confused to learn .Net or Java or Hadoop please can u help me to choose any one.i am much interested in IT Filed.
    Please read the first post in this entire discussion to get the answer.
  • Nithish Kumar Reddy
    Nithish Kumar Reddy
    Hello Sir, Actually I am working has a network Administrator in a small company but now I am interested in learning some new Technology and Languages like Java and .Net , I learned few topics in Java/.Net, it was interesting but I am very poor in coding, So how can I overcome this & to be a good Developer !
    Can you suggest me few things about that !
    And one more thing at present selenium automation testing tools have boom in market,So one of my friend suggested to me that, if your very poor in coding just learn few testing tools !
    Can you suggest me because I stoke with those points !
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - Take a look at this article: What is the best way to learn programming? . It should give you some insight on how to go about learning to code.

General recommendation is that you should first decide on whether you wish to opt for software development or software testing and then choose your training accordingly.

PS: I'd recommend using CrazyEngineers's new 'Career Help' available on #-Link-Snipped-#. You'll be able to discuss your questions privately with us and seek proper guidance.
  • Shubh Mehrotra
    Shubh Mehrotra
    Sir I'm student of class 11& I'm very confused between java & other languages please guide me for my future .I've finding difficulties to solve java programming
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Shubh Mehrotra
    Sir I'm student of class 11& I'm very confused between java & other languages please guide me for my future .I've finding difficulties to solve java programming
    Shubh, if you are entirely new to programming; start with Java. Focus on acquiring the skill of writing code and you'll be able to write code in any language available to you. Java is a wonderful language to learn programming and understand how it works. Programming is a skill you will acquire over the years; so don't worry about it yet.

Your prime focus should be about learning as many technologies you can - and implement them in your personal or general open source projects.

Tagging #-Link-Snipped-# for inputs.
  • Sanoop M S
    Sanoop M S
    Hi sir, I'm recently completed my B.tech in CS, and I do have lots of arrears. But I'm very interested to programming, I was started coding with C then CPP, Java, PHP... and now I'm seriously thinking about C#.net for future. Sir my doubt is, Is it B.Tech is a necessary thing to achieve a great .net developer position in a REPUTED company? (After getting an experience from small IT firm).. Thanking you..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Note: Those seeking career advice may very well look at our Career Help app on #-Link-Snipped-# platform. The app lets you ask questions privately to domain expert and get direct responses within shortest possible time.
  • Shubh Mehrotra
    Shubh Mehrotra
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Shubh, if you are entirely new to programming; start with Java. Focus on acquiring the skill of writing code and you'll be able to write code in any language available to you. Java is a wonderful language to learn programming and understand how it works. Programming is a skill you will acquire over the years; so don't worry about it yet.

Your prime focus should be about learning as many technologies you can - and implement them in your personal or general open source projects.

Tagging #-Link-Snipped-# for inputs.
    Thanks sir for your suggestions .
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    I would suggest that as of now, donot focus on languages if you are newbie in coding, it only complicates.
    Focus on solving problems. Take simple programs like that of adding numbers, sorting,finding GCD,LCM, there are plenty of such exercises available on this website.
    Try to solve them step by step by writing steps in pseudo code and then break each step in form of code.

With this approach, you would start to solve problems conceptually, and with practice you can solve them with language of your preference.

In long run, syntax wouldn't be the toughest problem.
  • Poornima86
    Poornima86
    Sir, I have learnt java in my industrial training, and even have interest in java. I got placed in a company and currently working on c#.net. But i have heard that .net is not having much scope which java do have. Now I m so confused ,should I continue this job or better find a job in java domain? And if I would switch to java company ; would this experience be beneficial ? Or Java companies would treat me like fresher?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Poornima86
    .net is not having much scope which java do have
    A simple search on Naukri reveals that there about ~19K jobs for .Net and twice as much jobs for Java. If you are interested in Java programming, try talking to your HRs or team leads for any possibility of shifting to a Java project in your company.

Don't quit your job; but keep looking for opportunities in Java. Whether to treat you as a fresher or experienced developer would depend upon the hiring company.

Perhaps, you should seek guidance from industry experts who've worked in Java and .Net through our Career Guidance app: #-Link-Snipped-# .

I hope this helps.
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    Poornima86
    Sir, I have learnt java in my industrial training, and even have interest in java. I got placed in a company and currently working on c#.net. But i have heard that .net is not having much scope which java do have. Now I m so confused ,should I continue this job or better find a job in java domain? And if I would switch to java company ; would this experience be beneficial ? Or Java companies would treat me like fresher?
    .NETs time is gone. concentrate on java and java development on hadoop for marpreduce. Learn PIG and hive as well and be ready for the job search
  • Poornima86
    Poornima86
    Kaustubh Katdare
    A simple search on Naukri reveals that there about ~19K jobs for .Net and twice as much jobs for Java. If you are interested in Java programming, try talking to your HRs or team leads for any possibility of shifting to a Java project in your company.

Don't quit your job; but keep looking for opportunities in Java. Whether to treat you as a fresher or experienced developer would depend upon the hiring company.

Perhaps, you should seek guidance from industry experts who've worked in Java and .Net through our Career Guidance app: #-Link-Snipped-# .

I hope this helps.
    Sir, the company in which I m working, currently doesnot have any java projects and this was the reason I asked about switching the company.
  • Poornima86
    Poornima86
    Neeraj Sharma
    .NETs time is gone. concentrate on java and java development on hadoop for marpreduce. Learn PIG and hive as well and be ready for the job search
    Thanks for your advice, can you explain me further what skills I should have as a prerequisite to learn Hadoop. Currently I have knowledge of Core java, Servlets and Jsp.
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    Poornima86
    Thanks for your advice, can you explain me further what skills I should have as a prerequisite to learn Hadoop. Currently I have knowledge of Core java, Servlets and Jsp.
    Core Java is enough to get you started
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    I can't agree to
    .NETs time is gone.
    I don't know why people feel this way. .NET encompasses almost all technological aspects.
    Never count .NET out, at least for now.

Secondly, these technologies are tools, and newer technologies are in market every other day
    Key is adapt to newer technologies. How quickly you can understand the nuances of your technologies.
  • Sayantika123
    Sayantika123
    Hello All,
    I found this thread to be very useful. I have a query, it would be great if someone replies to it. I am working in .Net MVC,SQL server since last 2.5 years.
    Now, I came to know about MS Azure.. so can someone brief me about the following:
    1. What is Azure?
    2. What are the pre-requisites to learn it?
    3. What are the future scopes?
    Also, Can someone suggest if moving to azure would help me or moving to Bigdata would open much opportunities in the upcoming years?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - This should be a good starting guide for you to learn about Azure: #-Link-Snipped-#

Azure is Microsoft's offering against Amazon's AWS. Bigdata is a general term and you might want to gain more knowledge about what all Bigdata has and what specifically you wish to learn about Azure.

The options you've presented don't compare as such. Azure is a collection of cloud services that help in management of big data. While Big data itself is a collection of tools and technologies that help in managing vast amounts of data.

Your existing knowledge of programming would be more than sufficient to get yourself familiar with Azure and Bigdata. It's impossible to talk about future scope. Your best bet would be to get yourself certified in any of the relevant technologies.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Sayantika123
    Hello All,
    I found this thread to be very useful. I have a query, it would be great if someone replies to it. I am working in .Net MVC,SQL server since last 2.5 years.
    Now, I came to know about MS Azure.. so can someone brief me about the following:
    1. What is Azure?
    2. What are the pre-requisites to learn it?
    3. What are the future scopes?
    Also, Can someone suggest if moving to azure would help me or moving to Bigdata would open much opportunities in the upcoming years?
    I was working on Java platform and now I am working on
    .Net technologies (MVC mainly)+Azure+JAVA (Yes, you read it right). I will try to explain as simple as I can

Azure-Prerequisite-Future Scope : This is big question and everything can't be explained in one go. You need to explore about Cloud Technologies.

Azure: It is cloud platform which provide hosting, web container, DB container. Whatever you were doing with your server is now available over internet on Microsoft hosted hardware and software. Azure is not only provide .Net technologies but Java, python, Node whatever you need. You don't need to worry about security, scalability (No of users you are increasing, DB size or processing speed. You just need to press buy button and you get your DB increased in a few seconds). It provide lots of #-Link-Snipped-# like logging, analytics, monitoring, DB setup etc.

Prerequisites: None.
    It's nothing new. You just need to access to Azure and project which can be hosted. Even a simple web-app. You can get your trial version on Azure website. If you are developer everything has to be explored and learning, and it's better way to get your hands dirty on cloud platform. Coaching institute will make just make havoc, don't fall for it. Cloud nothing but lots of configuration, money will be paid by company pocket.

Future Scope: Going forward only defense systems will self hosted. Everything going to in cloud. Microsoft is pushing Azure to be leader of cloud provider. In future let say you need AI for your project, you need to thing of hardware software and all configuration. With cloud like Azure, you just need to buy from portal and here you go your project is plugged with AI hardware, software and configuration within minutes (of-course you need to write code for dictionary and train the AI/Machine learning.).
    BIG data is just a jargon of one of cloud technology. Working on big data is just another domain in software field. If you want to go into that, get yourself ninja level in data structure and algorithms (Yes, that 4th semester data structure and 6th semester ADA/analysis and design of algorithms , this would be enough).
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    In Malaysia, .NET seems to be more in demand from large enterprises. Could be due to these companies inherently using Microsoft related technologies. Though, both have good future. Its a matter of picking one and be great at it!
  • William Snyder
    William Snyder
    Anoop Kumar
    I was working on Java platform and now I am working on
    .Net technologies (MVC mainly)+Azure+JAVA (Yes, you read it right). I will try to explain as simple as I can

Azure-Prerequisite-Future Scope : This is big question and everything can't be explained in one go. You need to explore about Cloud Technologies.

Azure: It is cloud platform which provide hosting, web container, DB container. Whatever you were doing with your server is now available over internet on Microsoft hosted hardware and software. Azure is not only provide .Net technologies but Java, python, Node whatever you need. You don't need to worry about security, scalability (No of users you are increasing, DB size or processing speed. You just need to press buy button and you get your DB increased in a few seconds). It provide lots of #-Link-Snipped-# like logging, analytics, monitoring, DB setup etc.

Prerequisites: None.
    It's nothing new. You just need to access to Azure and project which can be hosted. Even a simple web-app. You can get your trial version on Azure website. If you are developer everything has to be explored and learning, and it's better way to get your hands dirty on cloud platform. Coaching institute will make just make havoc, don't fall for it. Cloud nothing but lots of configuration, money will be paid by company pocket.

Future Scope: Going forward only defense systems will self hosted. Everything going to in cloud. Microsoft is pushing Azure to be leader of cloud provider. In future let say you need AI for your project, you need to thing of hardware software and all configuration. With cloud like Azure, you just need to buy from portal and here you go your project is plugged with AI hardware, software and configuration within minutes (of-course you need to write code for dictionary and train the AI/Machine learning.).
    BIG data is just a jargon of one of cloud technology. Working on big data is just another domain in software field. If you want to go into that, get yourself ninja level in data structure and algorithms (Yes, that 4th semester data structure and 6th semester ADA/analysis and design of algorithms , this would be enough).
    Anoop, since you deal both with Java and .Net, which would you recommend for someone wanting to start a bootcamp? I have no prior coding experience but have always excelled at math, algebra specifically. Is there a brighter future for either?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# seems busy. I've tagged him so that he can reply whenever he's back online. In the meantime, I'll take liberty to respond to your query.

Programming is 80% logic and 20% knowing how to use the language. For a beginner, what makes or breaks things is how much help they can get when they're stuck at a problem. My general guess is that the Java community is huge out there and it'd be relatively easier to find tutorials, approach towards solving problems et al online. I'd recommend picking up Java to begin with.

That said, both Java and .Net technologies are here to stay because they're driven by large communities behind them. Focus on learning the 'art of programming' and you'll do awesome.
  • saish borkar
    saish borkar
    Both the languages are different and have their own advantages and disadvantages but in IT industry, you need to get updated as the technology changes.irrespective of the language you choose.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    William Snyder
    Anoop, since you deal both with Java and .Net, which would you recommend for someone wanting to start a bootcamp? I have no prior coding experience but have always excelled at math, algebra specifically. Is there a brighter future for either?
    I didn't the Bootcamp part. Is this same multi-boot assistant for MacOs?
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Programming is 80% logic and 20% knowing how to use the language.
    Above statement is perfectly true.

Now a days most of programming languages are object oriented and all share 90% of common syntax.
    When starting with programming, stick with any programming language. Take your time to get know bits and pieces of programming language.
    As you already good with maths, you can get hold in programming very quickly.
    Programming is nothing but solving a problem.That's what math people do 😀
    Which to choose between C# and Java: It depends on demographics and opportunity at your place. You are learning it to get some work. Either of them is equally good to start.
    However, Java is more explanatory than C# while writing code. C# uses more short cuts to write less code.

Ex:
    Java:
    public  String name;

public String getName() {
            return this.name;
        }
        public void setName( String name) {
            this.name = name;
        }
    C#:
      public string Name { get; set; }
    Both does the same job. I like java version, as it explains better what code is doing. Having said that, these are just syntax of any languages. But underneath, how well is your logic, that's what defines your code quality and programming skills.
  • sneha SD
    sneha SD

Sir now I'm in 4th sem BE,CSE.Next in 5th sem I have to choose one topic as optional that is either Java or .net,which one is most preferred and would help in future?

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ - Have you read the first post in this entire discussion? It should help clarify your doubts. If you still have questions, let us know. 

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

PCIe 1.x offers BW of 8 GBps PCIe 2.x offers BW of 16 GBps PCIe 3.x offers BW of 32 GBps I would like to know whether the PCIe slots...
XRefs is a website from where you can navigate source code of Linux Kernels, Bootloaders, Android Kernel, Android Framework, OpenStack, Paas, CloudStack, Django, Python ,etc. You should check this :...
Hi...I m from CS discipline n i want to about the exam conducted by BARC...n which technical subjects should i concentrate more to get shortlisted?
If you are a student who has applied to take the BARC Online Exam in 2014, here are some of the important dates that you all should note down. BARC...
If you thought that with the advent of Graphene, things are going to change drastically in the electronics domain and solar device manufacturing, wait till you hear about "tungsten diselenide"....