It is a waste of time !

Just today i saw in the home page of CE, that the largest prime number is 17 million digits strong.(or so i read).

But until today the largest prime number was something smaller.

And most probably in the future the new "largest" prime will be discovered which will have more than 17 million digits.

but then don't you guys think that this never ending quest of finding the largest prime is just a waste of time.

I will tell you what the largest prime is, it is INFINITY !. And this is also the largest composite number as well.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Infinity is not a prime, I guess. It has to obey all the laws to define a prime number. πŸ˜•

But I'd somewhat agree that it's just waste of time; just like sending robots to Mars.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Infinity is a number, and as a number it has got to be prime or composite or whatever
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    zaveri
    Infinity is a number, and as a number it has got to be prime or composite or whatever
    Infinity is NOT a number.
    Where we put infinity in number line ? Either right (+ infinity) or left (- infinity).There is basically no +ve infinity or -ve infinity, it's just symbolised to give +ve & -ve direction in number line.
    In short what i mean is : Infinity is not a number πŸ˜€
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Troll_So_Hard
    Infinity is NOT a number.
    Where we put infinity in number line ? Either right (+ infinity) or left (- infinity).There is basically no +ve infinity or -ve infinity, it's just symbolised to give +ve & -ve direction in number line.
    In short what i mean is : Infinity is not a number πŸ˜€

If infinity is not a number, then WHAT IS IT ?
  • Whats In Name
    Whats In Name
    "Infinity is a number yet to be decided."πŸ˜€
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    #-Link-Snipped-# It is not a waste of time. When we are finding the largest prime number, there is always possibility of inventing a new mathematical theorem/ discovery.

Do not forget most of the inventions and discoveries were accidents when humans were aiming for something else.

Meanwhile For Biggie:
    The_Big_K
    But I'd somewhat agree that it's just waste of time; just like sending robots to Mars.
    Aye Aye captain, I will contact NASA, ISRO and other space agencies to abort their Mars missions with immediate effect. πŸ˜‰
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Issue
    #-Link-Snipped-# It is not a waste of time. When we are finding the largest prime number, there is always possibility of inventing a new mathematical theorem/ discovery.

#-Link-Snipped-#

i disagree to this point particularly.

what has the discovery of a new theorem got to do with the discovery of the largest prime.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    zaveri
    #-Link-Snipped-#

i disagree to this point particularly.

what has the discovery of a new theorem got to do with the discovery of the largest prime.
    Its simple, for finding the largest prime number, obviously, you will not go for counting (which however is a sure shot way yet time consuming).

Any researcher will try to find a shortcut like binomial theorems. Such concepts will lead you to theorems that you can use else where.

Lastly, counting unto infinity requires more of brain and less of time.
  • cooltwins
    cooltwins
    zaveri
    Just today i saw in the home page of CE, that the largest prime number is 17 million digits strong.(or so i read).

But until today the largest prime number was something smaller.

And most probably in the future the new "largest" prime will be discovered which will have more than 17 million digits.

but then don't you guys think that this never ending quest of finding the largest prime is just a waste of time.

I will tell you what the largest prime is, it is INFINITY !. And this is also the largest composite number as well.
    Hey zaveri that is the largest "known" prime number only. Not that largest possible prime number. πŸ˜€ Largest will surely be much much larger.

But then again, I do not see the point in finding it out! πŸ˜›
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    cooltwins
    But then again, I do not see the point in finding it out! πŸ˜›
    you just said it !
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Issue
    Meanwhile For Biggie:

Aye Aye captain, I will contact NASA, ISRO and other space agencies to abort their Mars missions with immediate effect. πŸ˜‰
    They should. Human efforts & time, I believe are being wasted on -

1. Space missions - the only mission we need to work on is an asteroid hitting the Earth.

2. Creating weapons.

3. Useless retail products (Ex. Soap)

4. Bad TV programs , shows, serials
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    The_Big_K

1. Space missions - the only mission we need to work on is an asteroid hitting the Earth.

2. Creating weapons.

No. 5 : creating useless apps.
  • aniruddha47
    aniruddha47
    Issue

Do not forget most of the inventions and discoveries were accidents when humans were aiming for something else.

Meanwhile For Biggie:

yeah like we need one more big theorem that i will never use in my life
    I TOTALLY SAY WASTE OF TIME
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    aniruddha47
    yeah like we need one more big theorem that i will never use in my life
    I TOTALLY SAY WASTE OF TIME
    Don't forget all the curses you get by forcing your future trailers of the beaten path to blindly memorise your so called Hard Work

It is a waste of time
  • aniruddha47
    aniruddha47
    Conqueror
    Don't forget all the curses you get by forcing your future trailers of the beaten path to blindly memorise your so called Hard Work

It is a waste of time
    amen to that
  • Ashish Bardhan
    Ashish Bardhan
    zaveri
    Well, it seems like an unsolved mystery.
  • ABCD ABCD
    ABCD ABCD
    The_Big_K

2. Creating weapons.

zaveri
    No. 5 : creating useless apps.
    Funny, but true.
    No Comment, everybody here seems to be Right!
  • aniruddha47
    aniruddha47
    omg this thread with the name "waste of time" is still aliveπŸ˜πŸ˜πŸŽ‰
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Well the points here are never a waste of our times They are all worth pondering and breaking our heads on #-Link-Snipped-#
  • aniruddha47
    aniruddha47
    Conqueror
    Well the points here are never a waste of our times They are all worth pondering and breaking our heads on #-Link-Snipped-#
    seriously read from the top of the thread
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    aniruddha47
    seriously read from the top of the thread
    Yeah I did and almost all the posts here where typed By fellow CEan who considered this topic worth discussable Unlike a few Nut heads.

PS: Can you tell why this thread is useless anyone valid point from your end will make me quit CE. I am sure you will not be able to produce one here β˜•
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Forum flames are being watched. Please maintain professionalism here.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    So does infinity + 1 exist?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    CE Designer
    Infinity is not a number,it's a symbolic expression for "limit-less".
    So,infinity + 1 doesn't exist mathematically.
    But,we can say that infinity+1=infinity.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    CE Designer
    Good question.

but however i don't have an answer to that, even though i do not disagree with #-Link-Snipped-#

Now let me ask another question: what is the length of a straight line ?

the answer is infinity.

the explanation is that only "line segments" have a finite measurable length.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Correct!
    Now lets take concept of line as #-Link-Snipped-# said :

In a Number "line" representation,when we draw a number line & represent points,one thing to be noted that the "infinity"(either plus or negative) is represented as arrow.
    While the real,fractional numbers are mentioned with "dots" on number-line.
    This is old-school method is proof that infinity is not number but symbolic representation of "limitless".
  • aakash.kaasina
    aakash.kaasina
    zaveri
    We can consider infinity as a variable,given that the value of the variable should be large...very large..
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    aakash.kaasina
    We can consider infinity as a variable,given that the value of the variable should be large...very large..
    I am not totally convinced with this point can you pls explain your view a little more

One thing If it is a variable storing a value be it large or small. the theory of relative discrete numbers will become more significant to man
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    For me, Infinite is something larger than what is known currently.

A kid about 4 and can count serially only till 20. So ideally number beyond 20 is something very large she doesn't know. So according to her anything beyond 20, is theoretically infinite.

So in my opinion,Its all about perspective of looking at infinity.
  • aakash.kaasina
    aakash.kaasina
    w
    Conqueror
    I am not totally convinced with this point can you pls explain your view a little more

One thing If it is a variable storing a value be it large or small. the theory of relative discrete numbers will become more significant to man
    What i meant is...infinity can be described as a range,or a set of numbers which produce a similar result when operated...provided the number should be big enough!!
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    zaveri

I believe infinity is not a number. It is an idea, an imaginary upper (or lower) bound.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    zaveri
    It is the greatest construct of the human mind. It converges mathematical series, it is the base for calculus and these two, are the base of science. It is amazing how something totally imaginary makes its way into the daily life of the universe.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    firstly, prime numbers play a important role in cryptography. a very basic, easily understandable example here . simply put factorisation of large numbers into two primes takes huge amount of time.: #-Link-Snipped-#

second, it saddens me to know that I am part of community which doesn't appreciate space research, which does not seem to be curious enough to try to know how we originated, are we even real, is this all evolution or creation .. we seem to be only obsessed with news concerned with mobile phones and nothing else per se.. this is very disheartening...
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    shashank Moghe
    It is the greatest construct of the human mind. It converges mathematical series, it is the base for calculus and these two, are the base of science. It is amazing how something totally imaginary makes its way into the daily life of the universe.
    so i see

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have heard that an aircraft engines runs on white petrol, but i didn't got the reason that why we don't design an aircraft engine that runs on diesel or...
This is the project to control Robotic Arm using Blender.Pic18f4550 and pic12f1480 controllers are used. click here
hello CEans!!! i am jassry, a college student taking up BS in Civil Engineering. CE was introduced to me by a friend somewhere before and i am really curious about...
pLz suggest me the most latest Seminar Topics for E&TC,EC,ET field its urgent ...!!!!
Dell has launched the brand new addition to their Inspiron series, called "Dell Inspiron 15z" in India. The price of the machine is Rs. 42,000 for which you will get...