ISRO's IRNSS - The Desi Navigation System To Replace American GPS

ISRO scientists and officials are holding a meeting today in Bangalore to brief the hardware and mobile manufacturers about their upcoming IRNSS - the desi navigation system a la 'Global Positioning System (GPS)' developed by America. The meet will be targeted at making the Global Information System (GIS) developers to opt for the Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS) by discussing its advantages over the GPS.

The two day long meet will demonstrate how the array of seven satellites will offer navigation services; once available by July 2016. ISRO officials will recommend integration of special hardware capable of capturing the S-Band signals from the IRNSS along with software upgrade to allow for receipt of L-Band signals. These L and S Band signals received from IRNSS satellites will be analysed by a special software included in the receiver. ISRO officials say that these signals will reduce the typical errors caused by atmospheric conditions.

IRNSS-Replace-GPS

A senior ISRO executive informed ToI that the quality and the accuracy of the IRNSS will be superior than the GPS. It's expected that the Indian Government will offer two types of services - SPS aka Standard Positioning System, which will be available to everyone and Restricted Service aka RS, intended strictly for the defense use.

Dr. Tapan Misra, the director at Space Application Centre (SAC), Ahmedabad informed that the IRNSS will offer our own navigation system at the disaster hit areas, reducing our dependency on the foreign navigation system. The meeting at Bangalore will be an attempt at convincing the hardware makers to develop for IRNSS.

India has successfully launched four (IRNSS - 1A, 1B, 1C and 1D) out of seven satellites so far; crossing the limit of minimum number of satellites required for a functional system. The rest of the satellites, viz. IRNSS - 1E, 1F and 1G are expected to be launched by March 2016 and have the entire system functional by July.

India had decided to opt for its own satellite navigation system after the American GPS failed to provide reliable services during the Kargil War in 1999. The new system will provide accurate location information within a range of about 10-20 meters and the total cost of the project is estimated at about Rs. 1600 crores.

Source: Isro’s desi GPS system is here | Ahmedabad News - Times of India

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

In big programs sometimes I face problems while understanding the flow. Which book I should choose first from below books?? After reading reviews on google I am confused. Which book...
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz.com is now owned by Google's parent company Alphabet. Just a few days ago, Google announced that all its businesses will be operated by a parent company that will assume...
If you use Microsoft Excel, you ought to know Chandoo - a self-made entrepreneur, who started from a small personal blog read only by his friends and went on to...
Plz send me answer key of isro paper of mechanical stream for last 5 year