ISRO To Test Reusable Satellite Launch Vehicles In Sept This Year

Satellite launches are expensive affair for space research organisations and governments that back them. Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) wants to attempt lowering the cost of these launches by building a reusable launch vehicle so that every time a new satellite needs to be blasted off Earth, a new launch vehicle need not be constructed. Headed by A.S. Kiran Kumar, the present ISRO chairman, the new project by ISRO aims at flying a plane in the outer space at the pace as fast as 5x the speed of sound, deliver the payload it is carrying (such as a satellite) and return to Earth like other aircrafts. In a recent news, ISRO disclosed that though the project is in initial stages of development, the scientists will be able to test the first re-usable satellite launch vehicle in September this year itself.

The present technology makes the launch vehicle fall off part by part in succession during the satellite launch and therefore it can't be reused. As of now, wind tunnel modelling and other tests had been completed. For testing purpose, the launch vehicle will be made to land in ocean and when they are confident about its working, the ultimate aim is to make it land on an air strip in Sriharikota, the place where ISRO headquarters is located.

The interesting part is that ISRO researchers claim that using a reusable launch vehicle will lower the costs of future satellite launches by 1/10th the present cost.

irnss_3

In another interesting news, Mr. Jitendra Singh, the Minister of State for Department of Space in Govt. of India, launched a new augmented reality app called 'Sakaar' on Google Play Store. The AR application shows the live camera view on your device to represent the physical world. Virtual objects are then superimposed on the live camera view, to be tightly coupled in on your device's screen.The virtual objects can consist of 3D models, videos and anaglyph images.

Using the Sakaar app, users can watch the 3D models of various projects happening live at ISRO. These projects will include satellite launches, MARS missions etc. The Government will be working on distribution of the app for free in schools so that future scientists of India can keep themselves up-to-date with the ISRO projects.

It's great to note all the constructive steps Indian scientists and engineers at ISRO are taking to strengthen the efforts for space exploration.

What are your thoughts about the reusable satellite launch vehicles? Share with us in comments below.

Replies

• Shreyas Sule
    Shreyas Sule
    Exciting surprise from ISRO. Hope it gives tough competition to private players like SpaceX,Airbus etc in certain payload segments in coming years. I am waiting to see how ISRO's reusable satellite launch vehicle fares versus SpaceX's resuable rocket systems in terms of payload capabilities. SpaceX is in advanced stages of testing and hopes to perfect its vertical landing system for Falcon rockets after almost successful trials this year.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I agree. Apart from India, among the existing efforts to build an orbital reusable launch vehicles elsewhere, the top contenders are:

1. Airbus Defence and Space is working on 'Adeline' - a reusable rocket first-stage engine and avionics package.

2. Blue Origin is an American privately funded aerospace manufacturer set up by Amazon.com founder Jeff Bezos. They are working on a reusable launch vehicle.

3. China is working on a project to recover rocket boosters, using a "paraglider-type wings" approach.

4. As you rightly mentioned, SpaceX is working on a reusable rocket launching system.
  • Milind Joshi
    Milind Joshi
    Good to know this. Really exciting.
  • msuresh444
    msuresh444
    I guess ISRO will make a reusable vehicle at the cost of "Jurassic World" movie! 😛
    Anyways, its a matter of pride for us when such things happen in India and the world respects us. I wish it shouldn't look like the NASA vehicles.
  • Vasanth_Rajendran
    Vasanth_Rajendran
    Detailed article !!! Kudos to Team ISRO.
  • WOWSOME app
    WOWSOME app
    Sarkar, the Augmented Reality App from ISRO a nice approach, which helps to create an enthusiasm among the public especially youth and children creates an interest to learn more about life at Mars and to study about Mars by providing a rich user experience and might it tunes them to shows their interest towards the science, space and technology.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Shreyas Sule
    Exciting surprise from ISRO. Hope it gives tough competition to private players like SpaceX,Airbus etc in certain payload segments in coming years. I am waiting to see how ISRO's reusable satellite launch vehicle fares versus SpaceX's resuable rocket systems in terms of payload capabilities. SpaceX is in advanced stages of testing and hopes to perfect its vertical landing system for Falcon rockets after almost successful trials this year.
    ISRO is definitely going to beat SpaceX here, I think. Beforethe success, SpaceX had a few horrible failures. ISRO, like the MOM, is going to throw everyone off their orbits, again. ISRO is awesome, just underexposed to the world.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Awesome news. We are taking strides! This makes me believe in the dream of seeing India as a superpower in the next 10 years! Amazing news.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Update: Steps to fix this problem that caused mobile data icon to go missing from QuickPanel on Samsung S6 and S6 Edge phones is given below: https://www.crazyengineers.com/threa...sung-galaxy-s6-and-s6-edge.81185/#post-345118 The mobile data...
In many job listings on Google Careers page, there are a lot of vacancies for the job of a technical writer at Google. The listing notes that technical writers are...
Graphene continues to surprise researchers all over the world with its incredible characteristics. The latest Graphene miracle is all about turning 1 atom thick Graphene layer into a source of...
ISRO is preparing to launch 'Aditya-1' satellite in the next 3-4 years. The first ever satellite to the Sun from India was earlier expected to go to the Sun back...
hi.. i got a job as a php developer..But i know c# and asp.net. Is the right way to shift the .net side or not. php developer has a bright...