Isro sends up third satellite to build GPS on par with US

The 67-hour countdown for the launch of India's navigation satellite IRNSS 1C began today at the spaceport of Sriharikota. The IRNSS 1C is the third of seven satellites in a series which aims to build an Indian navigation system that will be on par with US' Global Positioning System, on board PSLV C 26.

source: First Mars, then navigation: Isro sends up third satellite to build GPS on par with US-India News , Firstpost

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Finally they're doing something useful. I want to know whether we'll be able to use the Indian GPS using the existing equipment in our phones? 😀
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Finally they're doing something useful.
    If we put aside the Mars mission direct benefit. It will surely bring satellite business to India. which is good☕.
    For this GPS sat, this is great. Let's hope Indian GPS will be independent soon.
    See the project GPS Aided GEO Augmented Navigation GAGAN details below
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Coordinates : A resource on positioning, navigation and beyond » Blog Archive » Combining GAGAN with IRNSS

[​IMG]
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Well, I would not want to close this thread, so I will just say ISRO is on a roll! The cyclone that hit the Eastern Coast was averted (in terms of human losses) given its heavy intensity, thanks to accurate weather predictions, courtesy: the satellites launched on previous ISRO programmes. A navigational GPS would mean a whole lot to Indian public!
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I agree, if we see the past experiences. This time cyclone was much dangerous and govt. manage to keep casualties less as compared to real state loss.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I am reading about another less-talked-about benefits of IRNSS for India. It is called "Precision agriculture".
    The data from the satellites can be used to analyze the data about the soil type, weather and overall crop yield. Precision Agriculture is also known as 'Satellite farming' or "site specific crop management (SSCM)".
    I will need to Google to find out more on this. If anyone's aware, please enlighten.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I just want a guideline as to what topic I should choose for my paper presentation,I am currently pursuing my 3 yr ,and please suggest topics apart from networks and...
Please share quotes on Computer Science Engineering. Thanks.
Here's the uploaded four cheatsheet for GDB. PS : I am not aware of its source so am not pushing it into 'Downloads' section.
i studied Btech mechanical engineering and i am 2014 passed out. i want to know the best placement consultancies for Mechanical in Chennai/banglore/hyderabad. thank you.
Devashish Sharma grew up in Delhi, India. He has a degree in Computer Engineering from University of Waterloo and can speak 5 different languages. Along with Matthew Beck, a graduate...