Israeli Machine Learning System Identifies Sarcasm, Irony and Emotions By Scanning Social Networks

Israeli computer science engineer Eden Saig from the Technion University has developed a new machine learning system that can classify sentiments 'hidden' in the text shared on social networks. Saig has been a student of artificial intelligence (AI) and has published a paper titled Sentiment Classification of Texts in Social Networks, under guidance of Prof. Shaul Markovich. The new AI system is intelligent enough to figure out sarcasm, iron and emotions in the text messages.

Saig's system works by identifying word patterns that repeat in the texts. In verbal communication, the tone and vocal inflections carry a lot of information about the intentions and feelings; but these two crucial factors aren't available in textual communication. The use of smiley emoticons accompanied with text messages help address this problem to some extent, but they do not always convey the right message. Saig says that these emoticons are very superficial cues.

Saig had to analyse several thousands of posts on Facebook pages in Hebrew. He then isolated the patterns and developed his AI machine learning system to pick up these patterns and figure out the trends across social media.

At this point, Saig's system can recognise caring sentiments or arrogant ones. The system can be useful to scan content shared by people on Twitter, Facebook and other popular social networks to detect anti-social elements and even find out persons with suicidal thoughts.

Saig's ultimate aim however is to develop a mechanism that will help people understand how their words can be interpreted by others. He believes that such system will allow people to express themselves better and avoid unnecessary misunderstanding.

Do let us know your thoughts on the topic. Move coverage available on the source link mentioned below.

Source: Social media analysis may help prevent terror attacks, study shows | The Times of Israel

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i need book which includes all the concepts of e.c.e......!! from basic to m.tech level concepts....! please suggest me all in one book for e.c.e
Is anybody aware about DESD course of C-DAC
Just came across following video from HDFC Bank that introduces 'WatchBanking' - that is banking right on your wrist. HDFC seems to be the first bank in India that has...
hello, i m doing Post graduation.. not able to get any idea , can anyone suggest me smethng plz , i m willing to work on android platform or hadoop,.....
hi everyone! can anybody please provide information on certification course in cloud computing?Be it AWS,Google or azure. Also i need the same info regarding big data analytics. do let me...