Is WhatsApp Voice Calling Cheaper Than Regular Calling?

So I was wondering if the voice calling facility being offered by WhatsApp is actually cheaper than the regular network calls. Of course it's bound to be cheaper when you are making international calls; but for the local calls which, in India, cost 1p/second I think the price is tough to beat! You're bound to consume more data transferring audio signals over the data connection.

I'm looking for someone to do a quick study of the calling rates, data consumption for any typical one minute conversation over data network and find out which one turns out to be cheaper - for local calls. There's one escape though - if I'm using whatsapp via wi-fi through an existing internet connection - the costs may come down. But I doubt people will always look for a free wi-fi signal to make calls.

I'm even thinking that the introduction of the voice calling feature in WhatsApp was enforced by the telecom network operators. The operators were already losing out money people spent on SMS as majority of people switched to WhatsApp. Now, with the introduction of voice calling feature - I'm making a wild guess that people will end up paying more. Has anyone thought about this yet?

Replies

• Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    You had already done the analysis, just needs to put it in systematic manner.

ISD: WhatsApp over Data or Wifi both would be much cheaper.
    STD: WhatsApp over Data would be Cheaper (at least on different network); Almost free when it comes to Existing unlimited wifi.
    Local: Cheaper to almost same cost over data plan. Free over existing unlimited Wifi.

Either way, It is cheaper and going to give tough time to Airtel, Vodafone and Gangs. Look at the other side of the coin, are they all set to increase the data plan rates??

NOTE: as of now, WhatsApp Calling is available only on Android (Windows / iPhone users will still have to wait for some time)
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    You should look at the profit side from two ends. Both Caller and Callee needs to use Whatsapp, and Wifi/4G/3G/2G. Both parties are paying to keep internet running. While for the telecoms, just one party has to pay. For better clarity, you need better internet and for that you pay a handsome amount monthly. Clarity over 2G is no good. 3G is fine. 4G and Wi-Fi are good. Hence more data = clarity.

For long duration calls, Whatsapp calling is yet doubtful. I mean, has any of you tested or know anyone who has made long duration calls (ISD/STD/Whatever)??? The duration i am talking about here is huge > 1 hour. For Whatsapp to allow that much of freedom is a subject questionable. What if Whatsapp's switch has a feature to cut the calls after couple of minutes. The longest call i've made is just 5 minutes to 7 minutes. And I had to cut in between, because either me (Caller/ A - Party) or the other party (Callee/ B - Party) gets a "Reconnecting" message on Whatsapp, which breaks the signal.

Telecoms make profits based on duration. The number of minutes of usage is converted to a profit margin. I feel, there is a tie-up with Telecoms. A twisted sort of tie-up

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

American software giant Adobe recently unveiled its new product. Meet Comp CC, Adobe’s new app on iPad that lets designers create the content on the go. With Comp CC designers...
After basking in the glory of its remarkable success in just few years, the Chinese tech giant, Xiaomi will be celebrating its 5th birthday on 6th April, this year. The...
guys i wants to work on some new innovation and idea,which improve safety,design and fuel economy,if you have any idea or thought then participate in discussion
Today is 1st April, the Fool’s Day. All of internet is conspiring to fool you, major tech giants and websites are cooking up harmless pranks that will either make you...
Looks like Microsoft's invading Cyanogen's Android roots. The latest nightly of CM12 has some interesting information for you - that it's Powered By Microsoft. Microsoft has even managed to put...