Is there any Science or Truth in Astrology?

Even in this era of Technology there are lots of people who believes in astrology (including my mother) so is there any scientific facts or truth behind this????

Replies

• rahul69
    rahul69
    DivyaSep
    Even in this era of Technology there are lots of people who believes in astrology (including my mother) so is there any scientific facts or truth behind this????
    This is an interesting and delicate question. There are not much people who have the full knowledge of astrology, so unless you meet an expert (which I am not), commenting on such a topic will not do justice with it. ๐Ÿ˜€
    With that in mind, the best I can do is to give an approach to evaluate things objectively so as to get a more logical (not necessarily correct) solution.
    To compare two systems, best way is to come out of both and observe from a third frame of reference, since if you are in any one of those, you cannot objectively view the other one.
    So imagine if you are from a world which is similar to this world with one exception (there is no medicine system) and you suddenly appear in this world. What would you make out of our medicine system?
    You don't know how it works, so it could be myth. It is not accurate (otherwise we would never be ill), and still a large no. of people follow it. Some get benefits, whereas other may get worse too (medicine reactions, wrong treatments, mistakes etc.)
    So will you say it is scientific/ some truth in it??
    Myths keep on coming and going, but I don't think myth can exist for so long (centuries) unless there is some truth in it. ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Why should astrology be valid only for humans? Even bacteria should be affected. Consider this. Raghu and Khetu are imaginary points of intersection of the apparent orbits of the Moon and the Sun as seen from the Earth. How can they have any effect on anything?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've two thoughts about this topic. My logical mind tells me that I should not refute anything that doesn't make sense to me. My other mind wants to think that Astrology is a pure-play business that someone invented to make a living using probability theories. I'd recommend reading this article on the blog I follow: #-Link-Snipped-# .

What do you guys think about Astrology after reading above article?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    There was an earlier discussion on this here. I had put up a link to the work of Prof.Jayant Narlekar on this that showed that astrological predictions were no more accurate than tossing a coin.
    I have great respect for traditional knowledge in astronomy, maths, medicine and such all of which are verfiable now and has been.
    Astrology is not one such.
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    A.V.Ramani
    Why should astrology be valid only for humans? Even bacteria should be affected. Consider this. Raghu and Khetu are imaginary points of intersection of the apparent orbits of the Moon and the Sun as seen from the Earth. How can they have any effect on anything?
    Rahu and ketu are not imaginary points, but signify the solar and lunar eclipses.
    And I guess eclipse could have effects. ๐Ÿ˜
    Bacteria should be affected, but we humans who keep on cutting trees and destroying planet for our selfish cause, wouldn't be concerned about effects on bacteria.. isn't it?
    ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    rahul69
    Rahu and ketu are not imaginary points, but signify the solar and lunar eclipses.
    And I guess eclipse could have effects. ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜€
    Eclipses occur when the sun or moon are actually at or near these points of intersection. Otherwise we should have eclipses every new moon day and full moon day. When these days coincide with the sun or moon are near these two points (+/- 1/2 degree or so) eclipse occurs.
    Eclipses have no effect other than on ambient light.
  • Sharfudeen Mohamed Ibrahim
    Sharfudeen Mohamed Ibrahim
    AFAIK, science cannot explain some stuffs and even astrology too. So don't bother these things ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, am working as a system admin in windows platform and working in a small company for past four years, i cant able to improve my skills and my salary...
NASA's Global Hawk is a remotely piloted aircraft is on a new mission to support National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's (NOAA) mission to improve the overall tracking of hurricanes and...
hai this is ajay nd gud eve to every one then my project on cleaning machine. i need information of machine nd it should be the help machine in a...
Hello everybody, For a new project we are looking into a more research orientated approach. Our company wants to invest into the best avaible products. So my question would be...
Just came to know about Flipkart Ping - an instant messaging service that integrates with the existing Flipkart app to let buyers chat with each other and even with the...