Is the Internet worth saving in India? # Net Neutrality

Hi Guys, I'm sure that some of us here at CE must have heard about the recent change of rules that Telecom Companies in India are trying to bring up with the help of Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI).

And I also hope some people here must have gone through the video that's been introduced by AIB (All India Bakchod) about this current and most latest issue that Indians are probably going to have to face in the near future. To jog your interest into this topic, let me share the video below. Please go through it first before you comment any further.

THE ISSUE IN SHORT:
Telecom companies want to indirectly infiltrate the option of controlling the speed of the content (Apps, Videos, Social Media, etc) we use on the internet; and also be able to manipulate which content provider gets the edge.

Eg: If this is implemented, one company can opt for better speeds for their clients to access their services over the other. In this way the telecom operator makes the money. But the user does not get the option to choose which website he/she want to access frequently. This might also affect start-ups who can't pay to telecoms.

WHAT WE NEED TO DO ABOUT IT:
The topic we're dealing with might sound complex. But what we as internet users require is "Free and equal access to all the content on the internet and with same speed for all, of-course with just the price to pay for Data usage (as we are doing so already)."

Eg: I should be able to access any content I want at any time without have to purchase "Extra Packs" for better speeds. The telecom operator should charge me only for the Data I use, and not for the content I use.

So, my question is, is the Internet in India worth saving?

If you're an Indian, please do support the campaign on #-Link-Snipped-#
Last date to do so is 24th April 2015.

P.S.: To get more idea about Net Neutrality, please also view this video:-

#-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    If it's all about pricing, I'm with them. But if it's all about opening all the content to everyone - I'm not.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Kaustubh Katdare
    If it's all about pricing, I'm with them. But if it's all about opening all the content to everyone - I'm not.
    According to my understanding, the current state of Internet in India is such that people can access all the content without having to take up special package for say Social Media, or Youtube, etc. But if this is implemented, there's a chance that you will be charged based on the content you access.

Eg: Now with a Rs 248 Airtel 3G internet offer, I can access all the websites / apps / online games / videos / social-media on my Smartphone for 28 days, and I get 1 GB of data usage. I'm charged according to the data I use, irrespective of whether I view vidoes more, or use the social media more. And i get 3G speeds for all these content until my 1GB limit gets exhausted.

But with this new rule set, there won't be this neutrality for me accessing the content on the internet as per my wish. I may have to buy an Internet pack for One month, plus also buy an extra pack for Social Media, and another for Videos - which is practically an internet user disadvantage.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Some more content for Gyaan:-

Here are some vlogs by some well-known Indian Youtubers:-

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Last night my wife and I sent a joint response to the 20 point TRAI questionnaire. The Bangalore electricity supply did its best to prevent me from sending the mail. Finally it went. Cost for data yes. Regulating use, NO.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Debate on NDTV about Net Neutrality.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Sent my response to the TRAI.
  • Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    ISPs dictating which site I should visit and which I shouldn't. No thanks.
    I'm OK if they slightly increase their data charges, but creating 'packs' for every other site category is a strict no. Filed my response with TRAI.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Sent my response to TRAI. Internet as a platform should be open to all. I don't want my ISP to tell me which site should be faster or cheaper for me. That's a choice only I should be allowed to make!
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Have sent my response to TRAI.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Surprised to see that people here have not got the main gist of Net Neutrality.

The OP did a decent job of linking to the AIB video and also summarizing. However, seeing the responses on this thread, begs me to question ... why are you willing to pay higher for accessing Facebook versus Reddit?

I am already paying for data. If you want to hike that, go ahead and increase the per kb cost. I will switch to a different player then. But if you start charging me more based on which site's I visit, then thank you very much, I will start using Tunnelbear for all my web activity.

Free and equal access to all the content on the internet and with same speed

This is being challenged when you say yes for additional surcharges. How would you like if CE had to pay money to the TSPs so that this site loads properly on our machines? How would you like it if the site loads partially and does not work on our machines? Do you think that's fair? I don't think so.

Personally, I am completely against this idea. A huge NO.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    This is the most stupid decision thing i have heard so far.
    If this surfaces, then what option do we have? we have to pay packs just like channels on telivision.. that is if i have to use star plus i will have to buy that pack. Similarly if i have to browse something i will have to do it.

So if this is ever implemented, how will they segregate? so If CE is paying money its good if not people cant access CE? and users also should pay that CE loads for us?

Please increase the price for per kb download and stop this stupid idea. All startups will die. all online marketing and online shopping sites (mid level) will close down.

I am completely against this idea.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Just wondering how much money involved in lobbying for Over-the-top (OTT) 👀 or TRAI/Govt. is just dumb☕
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Anyone here saw this?

What's your take folks? Who here has already left a comment on mygov.in website?
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Sushant J
    Sushant J
    Just like some years back we had 2G scam I think sooner or later we will hear net nuetrality scam.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

(From Washington Post) Quote: Rubin spoke with The Post about the intersection between our habits and our careers, and how good former ones lead to good latter ones. The conversation...
The technology in use today for biochemical sensing & imaging isn't up to the mark. A team of researchers from NIST or National Institute of Standards and Technology and NIH...
It’s finally here, the much awaited LTE variant of the most affordable Motorola offering. The Moto E (2nd Gen) LTE has been put up on the Flipkart website for pre-order....
In solid state devices, the study of electron's spin manipulated by both magnetic and electric fields is known as Spintronics or Spin Electronics. This technology is already being used to...
My bike has took me some 25,000 kms. I have seen many cuts in my vehicle's rear tyre. I was suggested to change it due to regular punctures. Unfortunately, manufacturer...