Is Space Elevator Possible?

Japanese, Chinese and now Canadians - everyone's coming up with 'innovative' ideas to construct a space elevator. A Canadian firm already has obtained a patent for a 20km high (20x the height of Burj Khalifa) space elevator. I've often wondered, is it even possible to build a structure that goes so high into the space? Is our science and engineering advanced enough to even think about it?

Think about it. How deep would the foundation be? Even if we figure out a way to support the structure with not-so-deep foundation; wouldn't the 'base' be to wide?

Or do you have any innovative ideas that may make it possible to build the elevator? Share them here!

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Since my school days I have been an SciFi fan starting with H.G.Wells's 'The First Men in the Moon'.
    I had a huge collection of various authors. A big favourite was A.C.Clarke. I met him once when he visited our lab in the early seventies. His 'Fountains of Paradise' described the space elevator first.
    It is not a tower from ground up. It is a cable dropping from a geostationary satellite.

Here is a Ted-X talk (worth listening to in full) that gives a feasible option using (what else?) carbon nano tubes:

Let me close with a NASA post of what is covered in the talk.
    Audacious & Outrageous: Space Elevators | Science Mission Directorate

By the time it becomes a reality, I would have gone far higher (or far lower to much hotter regions as predicted by other engineers as a fate for chemical engineers). I do believe that it would happen in one form or other.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Wow!!

I didn't think about it that way! Something to think in a new direction. Gotta get myself a copy of the book.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    An update on space elevators. A panel discussion:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    A.V.Ramani
    An update on space elevators. A panel discussion:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Most of the questions answered very well. 'But still...' a space elevator? 😁
  • KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Japanese, Chinese and now Canadians - everyone's coming up with 'innovative' ideas to construct a space elevator. A Canadian firm already has obtained a patent for a 20km high (20x the height of Burj Khalifa) space elevator. I've often wondered, is it even possible to build a structure that goes so high into the space? Is our science and engineering advanced enough to even think about it?

Think about it. How deep would the foundation be? Even if we figure out a way to support the structure with not-so-deep foundation; wouldn't the 'base' be to wide?

Or do you have any innovative ideas that may make it possible to build the elevator? Share them here!
    Your question itself having the answer. If the height of the elevator is 20X of the height of Burj Khalifa then the width of the building of all axis is also required to more than 20X of the width of Burj Khalifa.

Assume the minimum foundation depth is 20% of the height. Then the depth of the foundation is 5km. Cant imagine that, we have to comeout with new type of foundation rather than Piling.
  • Shaheen Mongam
    Shaheen Mongam
    KSS manian
    Your question itself having the answer. If the height of the elevator is 20X of the height of Burj Khalifa then the width of the building of all axis is also required to more than 20X of the width of Burj Khalifa.

Assume the minimum foundation depth is 20% of the height. Then the depth of the foundation is 5km. Cant imagine that, we have to comeout with new type of foundation rather than Piling.
    as of now, space elevator is not a compressive structure like buildings. Its a thread stretched out by the centrifugal action of its counterweights rotation. Still it need a base, just to hook it up

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am fresher pursuing B.E ECE suggest me some latest topics for l&t infotech. i am going to atten
As iam studying final year cse today my professor has given a topic on mobile computing .she asked a question that do mobile computing is having advantages or disadvantages most...
iam from final year cse have many ideas to build a startup company or to write civils or to be an junior scientist .i am confused can any one help...
The British Government has committed £500 million to construct first of its kind electric network on highways that will allow the low emission and electric vehicles (EV) to travel long...
Quote: An Artic Crane Raptor articulated tower crane has been erected with a hook height of 88 metres, which is thought to be a new record. The crane is working...