Is self-attestation of documents enough? Why/Why not?

As per the news Govt may drop attestation of documents by gazetted officers | Business Standard News, we understand that the Govt. of India has plans to drop attestation of documents by Gazetted Officers, and self-attestation should be enough with the support of original document at all stages. What is your opinion about this? Will this end the corruption that some gazetted officers ask for getting the attestation done? Please share your comments.

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Right move!!, included that every self attested document data can be verified through online from any govt. office.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    I think it would be a lot easy if self - attestation is enough. Surely, the corruption by Gazetted Officials will come to an end.

Every gazetted officer don't know every person he attests the document for, and hence what's the need of this. Self-attestation along with Original documents is sufficient. Moreover, the attestation on Photocopy would authenticate a true copy of the original.

Fair enough.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I have done this often in my time. However, I used to check that the original existed. Not many do it.
    Nowadays banks and other commercial entities accept a self assessment. Legally the person is liable if the original is found to be different.
    It is much easier. So should be encouraged.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Have always hated running here and there for attestation. I've heard of stories where gazetted officers make the students wait for hours and in some cases even encourage bribes just for a stupid signature.

I wish we could do-away with 'affidavits' too. Never understood their point with that either!

PS: I am aware of the fact that giving the power directly in people's hands could be a dangerous move.

But, I have experienced in the past that - "When you believe in the person and tell him/her that you believe in them, they are less likely to betray you. When you show them the signs that belief in them is less and hence all the big hierarchy, they are very likely to think of loopholes in the system and get away with it."

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello Frnds !! I am preparing cdac entrance exam..i want to get view from students who have given c-dac recently, and how did they prepared for it? Specially i would...
So, yes, you heard it right, Turing test was passed by a computer, as he fooled a bunch of researchers that they were actually chatting to a 13 year old...
hello everybody when i was searching on google this was the first site where I found word "DISCUSS" so i join this. i want to get more information about Automobiles....
Supercomputer Eugene Goostman developed by Vladimir Veselov and Eugene Demchenko has become the first ever machine to pass the Turing Test. As you might be aware Turing Test is a...
BSNL or Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited has tied up with Pantel Technologies Private Limited and launched a new phone called the 'Bharat Phone' at a price of Rs. 1,099 in...