Is Science the new religion? - Debate!

I found that #-Link-Snipped-# has a lot of the same points. But, instead of reviving the old topic, I want to focus on what I read about this topic in a book.

We, the human beings, have begun to place the same blind belief in science that we had in religion several centuries ago. Scientists are the new messiahs for the educated masses among us. Quoting Bertrand Russell, the British Mathematician and Philosopher said, -
Intellectual integrity made it quite impossible for me to accept the war myths of any of the belligerent nations. Indeed, those intellectuals who accepted them were abdicating their functions for the joy of feeling themselves at one with the herd.
For years, the Mahatmas have told us to not believe anything at face value, not even what they preached.
The scientific method suggest that inquiry be based on empirical and measurable evidence supporting a particular hypothesis.
And every scientific theory is held to be valid until evidence to the contrary emerges.

Light can behave both as a particle and a wave - is the discovery of the recent times that has debunked the idea of matter being something concrete and tangible.

Niels Bohr said, "Anyone who is not shocked by Quantum Theory has not understood it." Foundations of science are shaken by the newest of experiments.

Science can definitely bring us all understanding and the "know-how" of how certain things work or should be made to work. It very rarely answers the "know-why" or "know-what" -> whether something needs to be done in the first place.

What are your thoughts on - "Is Science the New Religion?" Speak up in replies.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    A scientific temper presupposes an open mind. Religion is its antithesis with a closed mind.
    A scientific hypothesis is taken as valid within its frame of reference or till disproved. There is very little emotion in science. It has to be objective.
    I was thrilled to see this quote from "Martin Arrowsmith" by Sinclair Lewis stuck on the side of the bookshelf of my son when he was still in high school:

Quote:
    God give me unclouded eyes and freedom from haste.
    God give me a quiet and relentless anger against all pretence and all pretentious work and all work left slack and unfinished.
    God give me a restlessness whereby I may neither sleep nor
    accept praise till my observed results equal my calculated results or in pious glee I discover and assault my error.
    God give me strength not to trust to God!

Endquote.

It is there right in front of me even now at my workplace.

Science is too open ended to ever become a religion.

A scientist says 'Oh God, if there is a God, Save my soul if there is a Soul'

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

OnePlus ONE, the phone that brands itself as the 2014 flagship killer has announced the plans to launch the phone in India. No wonder the team at this Chinese startup,...
i have got selected in the selection process that was conducted in hcl for attending training .but i got many question regarding that training which is as follows 1.Is this...
Cyber Security is a very interesting topic and the awareness about the topic is almost non-existent. We're planning to get an expert to deliver a 60 - 90 minute webinar...
Capturing an object positioned around a corner from a camera seems like an impossible task if you don't have a mirror at hand. Well, no magic tricks involved when it...
Hi Al, This is Gollapinni Karthik from Hyderabad. Currently studying my 3rd Semester of my Masters in University of Göttingen, Germany. Masters in Applied Computer Science Worked as Delivery Associate...