Is it possible to build a 5 seats passenger car weighting max 1000kg?

Hi All,
mine is just curiosity in a field which is not mine (I'm a electronics eng. specialized in microwaves).
The question is:
would that be possible to build a passenger car with following specs:
-5 seats, 4/5 doors
-respectable engine specs (at least 200bhp, 350Nm)
-respectable economy, max 6-7 liters/100km gasoline, or electric 500km autonomy (no hybrids)
-dry weight max 1000kg, still being able to pass all safety tests

When you look at the market, a 5 seats limousine weights at least 1700kg. If you're looking for an estate, then think more of 1800kg. Would that be possible to reduce the dry weight to a minimum, sacrificing perhaps luxury things, but not safety?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, that's an interesting problem to solve. Have you looked at Maruti Suzuki Alto (India)? It can house 5 people and weighs not more than 800Kg. Of course, you will have to define the dimensions of the car first (IMHO) before you proceed for the actual calculations.
  • Angelo Paglia
    Angelo Paglia
    Hi Kaustubh,

thanks for your answer.
    I am looking forward to understand what makes up the weight of a type of cars which I like a lot. I am talking about Mercedes Benz E-Class, BMW 5 Series, Audi A6. Take any of the gas engines producing >=200bhp, and all of them weight almost the same about 2tons.
    So my question is: what kind of luxury things is it possible to eliminate, what kind of really unnecessary electronics, or different seats, in order to reduce the weight by about 50%, still keeping safety and just a bit of comfort?
    Reduce the weight so much, automatically also fuel consumption will diminish.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

can u tell me the explanation for fibonacci series program in java without using recursion??
So the thing is, I have a small (100 Page) book written on the basics of a designing software along with a few exercises and solution. Can you guys give...
The first thing that will attract your attention to the newly launched InFocus M260 Android smartphone priced at Rs. 3999, is its innovative catch line. Promoted as a mobile device...
Dear CEans, We've decided that from now on, we will delete the content; especially discussions, that provide no useful information or add value to CrazyEngineers. These would include (but not...
electrical engineering graduate