Is It Important To Have A Goal Or Aim In Life?

Lot of people have dreams/goals or aim in life, but there's a large number out there who have no goal in life. There are people who try hard to achieve their aims and there are people who just go wherever life takes them.

However when it comes to making important decisions in life, which everyone has to, it's easier for people with an aim to make decisions than those without one; simply because no matter what option they choose they'll land in an unknown destination.

Do you think it's important to have a goal in life?

Replies

• maria flor
    maria flor
    The_Big_K
    Yes, it is important to have goal in life. Having a goal is having a direction in life. Goal in life is the driving force of each person especially those in poverty.
  • sarah_joy
    sarah_joy
    Yes, it is important because your goals define what you are going to be in the future.
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    no i never think we should achieve our goal but according to me we have to do something good to people who are with us and who had belief on us so no mater what we done but it should do good to people around us
  • Reya
    Reya
    It is necessary to have a goal/aim in your life.Each person should have a goal to identify yourself and to make right decisions to achieve that goal.It is well said in the proverb

"A man without goal in life is like an ocean without water "

If you aspire to achieve something in your life then goal setting strategy is very essential.To be successful in all your endeavours one should set goals.You need a direction to achieve something.Goals acts as a map to lead you to right path and to measure the progress after putting much efforts.

It is rightly said by Dodson

"Without goals, and plans to reach them, you are like a ship that has set sail with no destination.”
  • yadavundertaker mohit
    yadavundertaker mohit
    praveena211
    "Without goals, and plans to reach them, you are like a ship that has set sail with no destination.”
    if you want adventure then don't aim for destination...
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    ya yadav is right i too had the same answer
  • Lalyn Doroja
    Lalyn Doroja
    Our goals define the kind of person we are and the kind of person we will become. A person without any goal in life is like someone who keeps on walking without knowing where to go. Having a goal in life means you are leading to something that you would want to be, not ordinarily as you are, presently. Therefore, it is necessary to set goals in life but never just reside in goals, there should be actions to make these goals realistic..
  • shame
    shame
    Me?,definitely yes! we all humans need to have goals in our lives so that it would be the path to lead us in better life..
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    Goals gives us the direction to move; a reason to live for.

I can't think of just one goal in my life. I've many goals-some short termed and some long termed, some with higher priority and some with less.

But one thing for sure is that every goal on my goal list does not contradict any other goal rather it contributes.😀
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    no matter what option they choose they'll land in an unknown destination.
    What if the journey is more important than the arrival?
    I was a lone male child with few boys of my age in the neighbourhood. Ended up reading a lot. I decided quite early that I must avoid ambition. I also wanted to do engineering for fun. Edison was (still is) my hero.
    To that extent it was a conscious decision. A goal? I have achieved that.
    I have no complaints and would do no different if I had another chance.
    Bioramani
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    For the past few days, I have been thinking a lot on this topic. If it is really important to live your life with a goal/aim in mind and charting all your actions in-line with that goal. While discussing on this topic with my aunt, who has a rather care-free attitude towards all things in life, I realised that she firmly believed in taking each day as it comes. She experienced it early-on that nothing ever happened as planned. By living life one day at a time, she never had to hurry or fast-pace things. She enjoyed or simply lived through every major event in her life as it came as a surprise. Even today she lives by that thought. She has no 'place' in her mind where she wants to get to. There's not much planning except what's necessary for her and her family to survive through the day. Eg: Buying groceries, working through her office assignments, taking her dog for a walk, making her son's favourite dishes for snacks and dinner and going shopping when something in her house needs to be fixed. More or less, that sums up her entire days over months.

Once I realised that this was her schedule day-in, day-out and then looked around, I found that thousands if not millions do the same each day.. at least the ones who have their basic needs of food, clothing and shelter taken care of. They are not looking at a destination where they want to be. They would may be aspire that their sons or daughters or spouses achieve something, but that again isn't a *necessary* condition. Not something that needs to happen by hook or crook.

I sometimes wonder if I am oversimplifying what these people do, but I see no other motive or bigger scheme in all things daily. And that brings me to this question - "Is it really important to have a goal or aim in life?" These people are doing without it, without a frown. Most days are mediocre, but merry.

However, when we take a step back and think it through, don't you think that this is the reason why mankind takes thousands of years to progress? If not progress, just to get from Point A to Point B. Isn't living a life without a good aim cheating the nature for all the things it has provided us with - intellect, natural resources and energy?

If anyone has had the patience to read my post through, please do put your thoughts in replies.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Ankita Katdare
    don't you think that this is the reason why mankind takes thousands of years to progress?
    What is thousands of years to eons? How much of the progress is really progress?
    If the ultimate goal is self realization, none of this is needed. The journey is inward.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    A.V.Ramani
    If the ultimate goal is self realisation, none of this is needed. The journey is inward.
    Well said. That makes me wonder though if most of us really ever take the inbound journey as our ultimate goal. My post revolves around the masses out there. The people who never pose that question to themselves - Does my life need a goal?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Ankita Katdare
    Does my life need a goal?
    Who is this 'I' that is asking? This ego Ramani, Ankita or x, y or z are real only when alive. There is no knowledge about what happens after death. If so, why not do to the best of one's ability what is appropriate to one's current state? If an engineer be a passionate engineer. Give it your best. If a home maker, make it a home that is a role model.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I would rather phrase - It is important to have milestones in life .
    These can be over the life, yearly daily or even hourly.
    When you achieve a bit, it encourages you do little more.
  • Vignesh Ananth
    Vignesh Ananth
    According to my point of view, I classify it into two conditions. first : living life with setting goal , makes us to live life in a punctual and perfect manner.... and here we want to put lots of effort and hard work to achieve things....
    whereas in second condition: living life without setting goals. here nature defines a path for us....we may travel , according to design of nature.
    But we may came to a finite conclusion that, whatever travelling life with or without setting goals, our ultimate aim is food and shelter.
    Every one in the world runs behind the money.....

A person who sets the Goal cannot be a 100% successful person, and a person without setting goal is not being a loser...

Whatever effort he plants, that much profit he reeps.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# That's a wholesome way to look at it. Really appreciate all those points you put forth. 👍
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Setting a Goal shouldn't restrict yourself from trying beyond your "field of scope" (as some people would believe such a thing exists). And not having a Goal as of yet shouldn't restrict you from trying to get to your next milestone. Maybe that milestone will pave a better path towards your potential goal.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello all, Can anybody tell me how numbers are printed in a printing press? These numbers are actually unique.For example serial numbers on bank notes or registration numbers on receipts...
Taiwan based tw.apple.pro has mentioned that iPhone 5 may have a slide-out keyboard. Apple is currently looking at three different prototypes for the next generation iPhone and considering adding a...
In case of a petrol engine,it is important to achieve a correct timing between piston and ignition system.So basically we require a sensor. It is called as: Crank-shaft sensor :...
Aalto is expert in providing the best results, , network security solutions with the largest information technologies.
SUPER AMOLED aka SAMOLED is the technology Samsung is heavily investing in. The technology makes the mobile device screens better. Following video explains the technology - [video=youtube;2KsxIAm-KkM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KsxIAm-KkM[/video]