Is India really secular?

I would like to share some of my thoughts on the meaning of secularism.

India is a country with an incredible amount of beliefs, languages, religions, castes, communities etc etc etc. And the best approach to ensure peaceful existence is "SECULARISM". The current scenario is that to protect the interest of various groups of people, policies are implemented, subsidies are given, laws/acts are enforced, vote-bank politics is played and all other discrimination exists which has no limit. The parties in power claim the reason behind this to be overall development of every citizen of India "irrespective" of all the groups he is in.

So, blunder 1: by saying irrespective of any groupism, they just enacted a law/policy for a particular group of people.

They are dividing the purview of laws group-wise. Is this actually "SECULARISM"?

My view on secularism is, it is not respecting and promoting every religion but to completely keep it out of the system. Just ignore that something called religions also exist. Treat everyone as equal citizens before law and everyone should get his rights and should fulfill his duties. That's it! The advantage of this is,

1. No Tom,Dick and Harry will try to form his own political party claiming that his community doesn't have a representation in the Houses.
2. The government will transform into a transparent and non-political institution who is doing its job properly.
3. The ill-effects of reservations will all be removed. In fact, there won't be any reservations since everything will be based on merit and justice.

And yes!!
This is for all those who claim my religion is bigger than yours, or I am superior than yours.
I read this in Immortals of Meluha (Shiva Trilogy Book 1) by Amish Tripathi

There exists two religions A and B. Both are different having different customs. People of A think that people of B are evil and people of B think that people of A are evil. IT IS NOT SO! They are just different doesn't make them evil.
Intended towards Hindu-Muslim and some other religious conflicts which ultimately gave rise to ill-interpretation of "Jihaad"

Being educated ROCKS!!! It gives you a sense to question.

Please post your comments and views and your opinions below.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The more we talk about secularism, the farther we move away from achieving it.

By the way, 'Religion' & 'Dharma' are two different things. No nation can exist without a 'dharma'. And in India - if anyone talks about 'Hinduism' - they are labeled 'non-secular'.

The whole 'secularism' that we talk about has been created by a few political parties that want to woo the educated idiots.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    And People often confuse Dharma, Karma and Religion.

Religion is the belief you place in something- Maybe God or Scripture or Some Person

Karma is your work and your deeds. How you behave and act is self-evaluated. The Story of your life.

Dharma is your loyalty towards the purpose of your life. Or can be called as loyalty towards your karma. Loyalty towards supporting the truth and aligning against true evil.

So Religion maybe any. Every religion has the same concept about Dharma and Karma. And the term "Satyameva Jayate" holds true meaning.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Tagging the online people for their views on this.
    @#-Link-Snipped-# @#-Link-Snipped-# @#-Link-Snipped-# @#-Link-Snipped-# @#-Link-Snipped-# @#-Link-Snipped-# @#-Link-Snipped-# @#-Link-Snipped-# @#-Link-Snipped-# @#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    The more I get information about the world, I am more believer of
    “Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.”

Belief is personal and no other should care about.
    Problem arises when One's belief and thought is getting controlled by other.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    I really don't care 😀
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    My Religion is L.I.F.E, and I try to follow it every day!

L.I.F.E.:-

L: Living in Humility
    I: Inspiring the Humanity
    F: Fulfilling my Destiny
    E: Experiencing with Emotionalism

My Belief is another thing that inspires me to achieve my purpose in life. I'm not carried away by human notations of Religion/Caste/Creed. I do not have any enemies. I treat each person with respect and take back respect whenever I can, if I can't, I just ignore the bad of that person and would focus on his good side - to err is humane afterall!

However, humans have a feeling that whatever they think is right. An LKG student can think with only his LKG knowledge, and similarly a Class XIIth student will know very little compared to an Engineering Graduate. If you look at each person's personality individually, you'll find that each person actually lives in various eras (classes) of knowledge; so if an elderly person in class comments/tries to rectify a younger person in class, maybe that youngster will get rebellious just like the teenagers that we once were.

In order to make everyone understand the importance of live on earth, how to spend it, how NOT to spend it, etc...one has to DEVELOP one's own THINKING ASPECT (aka Class)...this takes time - experience, a willing to listen and learn, acknowledge and understand the world around you can begin as a good starter.

UNFORTUNATELY: THIS IS A CASE FAILURE IN MOST OF OUR YOUNGSTERS AND ADULTS ALIKE IN THIS ERA.

WHAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT IT?????
    Disclaimer: Patent Pending Theory.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Anoop Mathew
    In order to make everyone understand the importance of live on earth, how to spend it, how NOT to spend it, etc...one has to DEVELOP one's own THINKING ASPECT (aka Class)...this takes time - experience, a willing to listen and learn, acknowledge and understand the world around you can begin as a good starter.

UNFORTUNATELY: THIS IS A CASE FAILURE IN MOST OF OUR YOUNGSTERS AND ADULTS ALIKE IN THIS ERA.

WHAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT IT?????

Disclaimer: Patent Pending Theory.
    That is what philosophy tries to address. Sorry, no patent possible!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

If you can't live without delicious Dosa, you better start saving for the DosaMatic. The automatic Dosa making machine that can do about 1 delicious Dosa per minute. The venture...
I've been into blogging for quite sometime, and if it isn't anything technical, the subject/story gets more difficult to create (specially if you are doing it on your own) and...
Energies from fusion reactions is one thing that is capable of changing the world. Recent reports suggest that scientists working towards this aim might have got a bit closer to...
Guys, after read the post about robots to help humans under debris in our CE. There is one more incident striking in my mind. There are several same accident happened...
Since the launch of Windows phones, people have been skeptical about buying it. But, if a new report is to be believed Windows users will be able to run Android...