Is honesty still the best policy?

"Honesty is the best policy." This sentence is one of those sentences being taught since our childhood but hardly 1/10 implements it.
The question is in the present world of corruption, is it still considered to be the best policy.Well, if you ask me I denounce the topic.Everbody from a simple clerk to an officer is corrupted. We ourselves aren't honest at all whether at small or big level.

Pour Comments.

Replies

• aashima
    aashima
    Well there is no denying the fact that Neah has quoted, in a corrupted country like India, principles like honesty don't hold any relevance. Though at our individual ends, if we try to be honest, it should not be that damaging. Talking about my personal experience, I have, through honesty, made things easier. And to add more, it gives one grim satisfaction being honest.
    Though calling "The Best" policy won't be justified in my opinion because someday or the other, you will have to go against your principles if you want your job done but then also, its a good policy!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    aashima
    Well there is no denying the fact that Neah has quoted, in a corrupted country like India, principles like honesty don't hold any relevance. Though at our individual ends, if we try to be honest, it should not be that damaging. Talking about my personal experience, I have, through honesty, made things easier. And to add more, it gives one grim satisfaction being honest.
    Though calling "The Best" policy won't be justified in my opinion because someday or the other, you will have to go against your principles if you want your job done but then also, its a good policy!
    People, and not a country, are the ones who are 'corrupted'.

This is (I think) how it works. Since everyone else around me is dishonest, I think I must be dishonest too. The trouble is, we want our surroundings to improve - which never happens. There's one master solution to this problem though.

- Be Honest To Yourself!

Everything else will follow. If I'm honest to myself, it reflects in my behavior. One should never underestimate the power of 'small changes'. I believe the world will be a better place if we (the individuals) start being good.

-The Big K-
  • AlameluKrishnan
    AlameluKrishnan
    Why are we bothered whether anyone else is honest? Are you honest and I think that is what should matter to you.

Let there be corrupt politicians, office bearers, etc but why are we dishonest. By being dishonest, we are cheating ourselves forget what kind of impact we are giving others.

Let us be as truthful as possible (which is always)
  • integratdbrains
    integratdbrains
    Honesty is the best policy.

Honesty is indeed the best policy.Take it this way every thing we learnt at school though accepted innocently in the childhood is influenced and hence highly masked with the so called experience of the individual. I am sure many of us must have come across individuals saying 'I used to be very honest but this world has taught me alot!'
    These sort of statements dissappoint me alot i mean, hasn't this world taught you alot many other things so why don't you refrain yourself from doing those as well ! ๐Ÿ˜’
  • Gopal Dinesh
    Gopal Dinesh
    AlameluKrishnan
    Why are we bothered whether anyone else is honest? Are you honest and I think that is what should matter to you.

Let there be corrupt politicians, office bearers, etc but why are we dishonest. By being dishonest, we are cheating ourselves forget what kind of impact we are giving others.

Let us be as truthful as possible (which is always)
    What is the meaning of honesty is the best policy?simply can u suggest any tips...
  • malhotra
    malhotra
    Several studies have demonstrated that the quality of life and the level of prosperity in a country is directly correlated to the level of honesty in the country i.e if the level of corruption is higher the level of poverty is higher. Even within a country if the level of corruption in a particular region is higher that region tends to have a poorer quality of life. Dishonesty tends to produce short term prosperity for a few persons at a time while depressing the general level of prosperity for all

At one time i tried to develop a model between the level of corruption and extent of poverty in a country it is called " Mathematics of Corruption" . I think you will find it on the net if you google for it.
  • syedaafaq
    syedaafaq
    yes ofcourse honesty is the best policy but be careful being much honest will cause you a great problem in the environment of dishonest people
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    A little off track from the discussions on politics..

Her: Honey, does this dress make me look fat?
    You: Of course dea.. *gets slapped* Ow!
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    ash
    A little off track from the discussions on politics..

You: Of course dea.. *gets slapped* Ow!
    Taking this same example, if
    You: Looking awesome
    Somebody else: See that lady ..isn't she looking so fat?
    Her: Why you said lie?Couldn't u tell me I was looking so fat? *gets slapped*

So what is the moral when u have to get slap, why not after telling truth and showing honesty hmm?๐Ÿ˜€
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    @Ash and Shalini: Both of you are correct from your point of views but sometimes you have to decide your answer according to the situation.
    Taking the example mentioned by Ash
    You: (Look Carefully)Hmmmm, What do you think?
    Her: (While looking in the mirror) I think my sides are coming out a bit and the dress is rather tight from here.......etc
    Or
    I think it fits perfectly well and I also have some matching accesories......etc

You: Well not exactly fat but it is a bit tight for you, also it may restrict you movement a bit. I am not saying you don't look good but you have better options with you than this.
    Or
    You look beautiful in this. And yes have matching accessories for this dress too. The blue sandals will go very well with it. And why don't you wear your new diamond necklace with it. I am sure you will turn many heads today.

This way you will not get slapped.
    And as given in the example, you don't have to always answer a question straight. Find the loopholes and beat about the bush a little unless you are sure and confident to tell the truth. Never let anyone know what you are thinking/planning. And keep your face straight while maintaining good eye contact but do not stare in the other persons eyes. Make proper gestures as demanded by the script but neither overdo it nor remain stiff.

You don't have to be too goody-goody always.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Patty, thats exactly how politicians work ๐Ÿ˜‰ I guess this is how they avoid "slaps" to maintain their status.. of course, until something as severe as bombing comes along. No way of sweet talking yourself out of that one!

One may say that an honest politician is an oxymoron. Is this because of the perception set by predecessors and the population? Can there be a time when politics becomes clean, and the citizens do not want to hear sweet talk.. rather.. just the truth?

Can YOU accept the truth? ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Right I will clarify my answer.
    Some times you have to be straight forward and say the bitter truth
    Sometimes you have to lie to the other persons face
    On other occasions you say the truth but hide some facts which may be important or may not be that important
    On some occasions you answer the question completely and correctly but it has no relation to the answer which the other person wanted
    Sometimes you answer by a sign that the other person will interpret according to his/her wish
    and the other times you have to keep your mouth shut.
    All these categories depend on the occasion. You have to choose the middle path or the path of diplomacy. Always being honest or always lying is practically quite difficult.
    Honesty like if the shopkeeper gives you extra change and you give the extra back then that honesty is OK. Similarly, returning a lost wallet to the honor, not cheating in exams, not bunking classes....etc come under acts of honesty.
    Even if a person has done such a thing as cheated in his exams or bunked a class or postponed his work because he was not feeling well has been dishonest.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ash
    Can YOU accept the truth? ๐Ÿ˜‰
    hi Ash,

hmm.. guess knowing the truth and doing something about it would be more proactive rather than floating in honey bites....๐Ÿ˜›

personally, honesty is the best policy.. once people encounter yo being honest for few times...they start trusting you...and then value you...

YUP I AGREE... a sligth line which seperates honesty admitting to folly!!
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Honesty should not be used as a policy. Once you use Honesty as a policy, you are proving that you lack integrity. What say people? ๐Ÿ˜’
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    These explain the advantages of being true...
    ยป It is hard to believe that a man is telling the truth when you know that you would lie if you were in his place.
    ยป If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    durga
    personally, honesty is the best policy.. once people encounter yo being honest for few times...they start trusting you...and then value you...
    wonderfully said durga ๐Ÿ˜€

@ishutopre
    a very confusing statement unless you explain. Then how do you wish to use honesty ?

Being honest has its own advantages and ones that are long term. Being dishonest has its advantages too but they are short term and tend to do more harm than serve any good purpose.
    I do strongly believe that if you do something wrong, you are bound to get punished for it sooner or later. No need to give examples to prove my point I guess.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Nachko
    Nachko
    It is, definitely.

@Bioramani: Nice article.
  • Rucha Wankhede
    Rucha Wankhede
    Honesty according to me encompasses a whole gamut of values as integrity, straightforwardness, truthfulness, being fair in your dealings et al and isn't an isolated phenomenon. The attributes are recognised universal ways to live a happy and mindful life. The problem arises in their practice when the surroundings or beings around us aren't as compliant to it all and these aren't exactly what reflects the current collective conscience of society.
    Sometimes the results of practicing it also don't yield results we expected. Its a classic moral difficulty every human being faces. The way out is to 'choose' what you feel right in your conscience. The path is steep but nevertheless it is the way to 'be'. Inconvenience and all accommodated.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Re: Introduce Yourself - Let's know each other! Sorry, I can't use the template, that's too conformist. ;-) I'm Romeos_person - because Romeo is my cat and he rules the...
well guys considering da fact tat no sequel xcept munnabhai worked wat do u guys say about dhoom2
Hello CEans! We are about to complete one year of our existence on the Internet ๐Ÿ˜! Over the past 11 months, we built a team of 1400+ Crazy Engineers. CE...
Is BE+MBA a better saleable combination today? This is one of the topics I have been debating around for more than 4 years now. Although if you ask me the...
hi CE i want to do pick and place robot for my BE project can anyone suggest me how to go about/ give me some reference/report