Is highhandedness or oneupmanship of Mr.Modi justified in lieu of progress?

The working of current Government is under great scrutiny considering the huge expectations under which it was elected. The Modi phenomenon worked its magic almost single handedly garnering victory in state assemblies too.
Banking on the Pro development Gujarat model and strategy and being Prime minister he did steer forward many policies,but all through the way a question always nagged, is this totally centralised leadership model working for the democracy like India? Maybe not.This was much evident from the recourse to ordinance route for the passage of important bills without parliamentary debates, scrapping of planning commission being replaced by NITI Aayog now under the chairmanship of PM,direct involvement of PM in various other administrative matters etc.
More than all this the PM has come to be known as a name synonymic to development, hasn't it all become a lot to ask for from a mortal?
Doesn't it concentrate all the energy on PMO? Consequently it means more responsibility and accountability for him,whether or not it can be delivered on is another question.
One side of the story is for a country like India a decisive leadership was the need of the day, to remove the rut and clear the mess.On the other hand there's always a very thin line between being boldly decisive and being autocratic even in the enforcement of one's vision. To tread that line requires great courage and strength of conviction. Is Mr.Modi successfully maintaining the balance? I think it will be imperative for us to think and ponder over the situation on whether or not we are overlooking the democratic process in trading it for economic progress. In the long run,it sure is going to affect things,like voter behaviour and the way they look at democracy and choose.
Do post your views people😀

Replies

• Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    Seeing the 9 months work of Mr. Modi, I heard people talking, every govt. is same. Everyone are going to get their shares, no matter who is ruling at the Center.
    I am not an expert to talk about foreign policies, so no talk on the foreign concerns what Modi did in 9 months.
    We (Indians) are still suffering from various important issue like, "Roti, Kapda, Makan", "Our farmers die", "Girls being molested", "land grabbing", "extortion", "Murder", "62 years old man have to pay bribe Rs 5000 to Rs 10000 to seek approval on his PF money" and many others. There are some issue, which we can be solved by actively participating by us (Like swachch bharat), but the above said issue will not be entertained unless there is strict political pressure. I guess, taking all major responsibility single handedly is OK from Modi, lets see, what miracle he does. Top leadership is OK but the middle layer is not willing to work. God Bless Modi focusing on the pain area.
  • Rucha Wankhede
    Rucha Wankhede
    Pinning all your hopes on one person,is not going to work.It absolves individuals of the all the responsibility. We need pro active citizens more than pro active leadership.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    'High-handedness' and 'one upmanship' - aren't the right words to describe the PM. He's playing the game within the rules of democracy. He's doing what he's ought to do and any good leader would have done. When the expectations are high from him and the country's been through several decades of misrule; there's someone who's taking up the responsibility and I think that's a very brave step he's taken.

Recluse
    One side of the story is for a country like India a decisive leadership was the need of the day, to remove the rut and clear the mess.On the other hand there's always a very thin line between being boldly decisive and being autocratic even in the enforcement of one's vision.
    I think there's only one side of the story that needs to be focused on. India needs leadership that is decisive and is accountable. Let him be boldly decisive and autocratic if that's that language people understand. Remember that the invaders have systematically destroyed the self-esteem of the Indians and we can't expect that to change in a short period of time. Let him speak in the language people understand.

Recluse
    Is Mr.Modi successfully maintaining the balance? I think it will be imperative for us to think and ponder over the situation on whether or not we are overlooking the democratic process in trading it for economic progress.
    I think he's doing that. Economic progress, though very important, isn't the only thing he has to focus on. I personally do not believe in democracy and have always favoured a benevolent dictator. I think Modi's the right mix India needs at this time. He however should be given a few years before we start commenting on what he is.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I guess a lot of people are overwhelmed by the epic upsurge of a single man's popularity. This never-seen-before singular rise to fame has been quite difficult to digest for many a person coming from media, common man and even some of the leadership. The words like 'highhandedness' have started popping up because of this unprecedented reverence to a sole figure. People are bound to ask questions, raise words of caution and speak out if they feel uncomfortable. Oppressed for many many long years by previous leadership, who only made promises and never fulfilled them, the citizens of India are now not ready to blindly believe. Therefore, the questions and rush to see the results. I just feel we shouldn't be quick to judge. To sweep clean an entire nation with its thousands of issues, Mr. Modi needs time.

If asking opinions of 20/200/2000 people and never coming at a proper decision hasn't worked well for so many years, why not let oneupmanship a chance?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    The current central govt. is doing good but expect more in following issues
    1. Should be tough on law and order.
    2. Transparency in working of government.
    (People who thing black money is coming soon are really fool)
    Also, current win of AAP is more than good for country. It shows that BJP, is not owing the whole political field, and you just can't win by making promises and showing faces.
  • Rucha Wankhede
    Rucha Wankhede
    Self esteem was being systemically destructed in the course of history is true,but it doesn't mean we as people now understand the language of dictatorship alone. Inclusive participation of civil society is what is needed,and it has to come from within the people,a leader however effective he might be can and should only guide, which currently doesn't seem to be the case.Moreover his silence as chief leader of the country on the recent church vandalisms and ghar-vapasi programmes underscores the policy of,i -would-speak-when-i-choose-to irrespective of the need of the hour. All are the premonitions of policy of oneupmanship.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Who made these dam new light bulbs as a pigs tail.? Well my lamp shade doesn't clip on to it? Now,,,,, how am I to embrace a new technology if...
Audio and infotainment company Harman India has launched the JBL GO Wireless Speakers in India. Although, unveiled originally in CES 2015, JBL GO is quintessential of how certain products get...
NASA researcher Haris Riris is working on developing a new laser instrument to track global methane concentration round the clock. Riris and his colleagues from the Goddard Space Flight Center...
Google's made up its mind to support HTTP/2 and not its own SPDY protocol, the one it introduced back in 2009. Latest announcement on Chromium blog confirms that the upcoming...
Even if most people reading this article have access to internet and it is commonly believed that the entire world is connected to each other via internet, statistics suggest that...