Is Group Discussion an effective method of selecting candidates in corporate?

Group discussions has been recently added for the recruitment of candidates in companies. They help in evaluating a person's inner thought while working with the company. Through GD's(Group discussions) we can evaluate a persons ability to express his views correctly, his team spirit, social behaviour and a lot more.
So, I think group discussions are mandatory and that is what corporate people follow.

Replies

• Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Re: Are Group Discussions effective method of selecting candidates in corporate?

Umm... slightly different views on this point. The GD method should be there depending upon the job role required.

If the job requirements do not need a social person, then there is no need for a GD. Let's say a programmer's position, the basic things he needs is coding skills right?

But, if you are thinking about a manager's job, then this person needs to speak out in meetings. Discuss issues, add value to talks, speak up when required, for all these purposes a GD is essential.

Infact, how about using a GD not as a method of elimination, but as a tool of profiling the candidate. His psyche, his attitude and views over certain issues, his willingness to participate, his energy levels. All this can be gauged from the GD ... so I would say its a good thing to have a GD.
  • no_atkt
    no_atkt
    Re: Are Group Discussions effective method of selecting candidates in corporate?

Are Group Discussions effective method of selecting candidates in corporate? ... id say yes cause i would rather prefer a GD than an aptitude test .... simply cause im good at it 😁
  • DEP
    DEP

kidakaka
    Umm... slightly different views on this point. The GD method should be there depending upon the job role required.

If the job requirements do not need a social person, then there is no need for a GD. Let's say a programmer's position, the basic things he needs is coding skills right?

But, if you are thinking about a manager's job, then this person needs to speak out in meetings. Discuss issues, add value to talks, speak up when required, for all these purposes a GD is essential.

Infact, how about using a GD not as a method of elimination, but as a tool of profiling the candidate. His psyche, his attitude and views over certain issues, his willingness to participate, his energy levels. All this can be gauged from the GD ... so I would say its a good thing to have a GD.
    hey kidakaka,
    what you have written is so very apt. i mean you havent missed out even a single point where i feel like adding anythng.

regards
    DEP
  • aashima
    aashima

Well as for my opinion, GD do play a good role in deciding in a better way about the candidate. Thats true that nature of job should be taken into account but in most cases, GDs always help. They reveal the confidence, team spirit, the way a person deals with a chaos or expresses himself and a lot more than this. And certain qualities like team spirit are required for every proffessional irrespective of the nature of job. Moreover, they let out the communications skill capabilities which today is the most sought out thing for ever recruitment process.
  • integratdbrains
    integratdbrains
    Are Group Discussions effective method of selecting candidates in corporate?

Very rightly said ashima! The ability to work in group,the spontaneous reations that a preson gives to a particular situation,his ability to be effective in a flok of people cna be easily quantified by GDs.Not ot forget Gd alone cannot be an effective tool to select right person for the right job.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    *bump* [​IMG]

Most of the times, GDs are introduced in the selection process because its a very effective way of 'eliminating' the candidates. In a group of 10 candidates, a GD can help eliminiating, say 8 candidates! That's what my observation says.

Well, of course, GDs can help corporates decide if the candidate will suite the position available. A coder may not be required to be a kick-butt performer in GD, but at some point of time, he/she will have to face client calls & tough situations where 'ability to speakin in a group' will be a must for survival.

-The Big K-
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    The_Big_K
    *bump* [​IMG]

Most of the times, GDs are introduced in the selection process because its a very effective way of 'eliminating' the candidates. In a group of 10 candidates, a GD can help eliminiating, say 8 candidates! That's what my observation says.

Well, of course, GDs can help corporates decide if the candidate will suite the position available. A coder may not be required to be a kick-butt performer in GD, but at some point of time, he/she will have to face client calls & tough situations where 'ability to speakin in a group' will be a must for survival.

-The Big K-
    Absolutely correct biggi,

I am agree with you, My two cents on GD...

"GD should be a part of elemination. No idea about other industries, but Atleast in software Industry GD must be there. As biggi said "A coder may not be required to be a kick-butt performer in GD, but at some point of time, he/she will have to face client calls & tough situations where 'ability to speakin in a group' will be a must for survival." No matter how good coder one is, he need to negotiate for time at some point of time, he need to convince his managers.

Even the main moto of GD's are not only how you speak in a group. It's how you perform as a team, In a GD group Listener's role is as important as a speaker's role. And this habbit helps a lot in team meetings."

So for me GD is must for judging\selecting a candidates in corporate.

-Crazy
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    *bump* any updates on this thread? Speak Out loud fellas! 😁

-The Big K-
  • csiscool
    csiscool
    *bump*

GD is not a good selection tool..The corporate will surely miss the talented peoples at most of the times, since the candidate could be nervous at the interview time, if it is first interview experience.

I attended the interview, there was 10 peoples,,2 persons not talked good., the rest are really awesome speakers. But they selected only one girl,and one boy I know about others, they are excellent in academic as well other activities., even two of them deserved the IBM's TGMC award. That company just missed the great coders.,,and infact the selected persons are so-called engineers. 😉
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    I think that GD can be used to assess a candidate's profile to determine what type of job he/she will be good at. That's all.

In short, GD should be used as a selection tool and not an elimination tool. But sadly, as far as I have come across, it's only used in elimination. This is wrong, in my opinion.
  • sherya mathur
    sherya mathur
    csiscool
    *bump*

GD is not a good selection tool..The corporate will surely miss the talented peoples at most of the times, since the candidate could be nervous at the interview time, if it is first interview experience.

I attended the interview, there was 10 peoples,,2 persons not talked good., the rest are really awesome speakers. But they selected only one girl,and one boy I know about others, they are excellent in academic as well other activities., even two of them deserved the IBM's TGMC award. That company just missed the great coders.,,and infact the selected persons are so-called engineers. 😉
    yes I completely agree with csiscool that gd is not a effective tool for the selection process of the candidate .at most of times it depends on job profile like for a good coder there is no need to have good communication skill .
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    GD should not be the elimination criteria in the interview process.there should be some sectional cut points for making the selection after the tech interview.then the elimination can go for further HR interview.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    GD , group discussion should be there!
    Csicool : If a person is nervous before interview the company has nothing to do with it. He must perform good coding or whatever role he is in!

And Regarding GD , Corporates use it for elimination, but I have attended few GD's and there are as high as 5 to 7 out of 10 are through!
    The communication skills plays a major role in corporate, say for example you have a technical walk through if you dont have listening skills and speaking skills you will not understand anything!

In many organization there will be brainstorming sessions on Technical documents , design and many more! Its similar to a GD except that you are already hired! Since most the skills required for performing in those sessions require the skills which we need to have while attending GD.
  • Chaitali Sumita
    Chaitali Sumita
    yes i do agree that GD is a special tool of eliminating students,but i dont think that it is a good tool for selecting the students.......
    many persons have the interview phobia and because of GD.... corporate industries lose the good students.....

and regarding communication skills....if they are just checking the communication skills through GD,,then why they are selecting just 2/3 out of 10/12 students??

so if they are searching for manager's post then they should do GD and then recruit guyz....but GD has no place for a programmers post.....
    hence i personally feel that according to the post recriutment ,GD must be done.....

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Lets join all together the questions asked in HR interviews. Q: Tell me about yourself The most often asked question in interviews. You need to have a short statement prepared...
Hello CEans! I hope someone will help me fix this. The .png images with a transparent background doesn't work in IE 6.0. Internet explorer retains the background as "white" instead...
I'll tell you a secret :sshhh:. Only a few among us know about this. Take this as a tiny announcement. Did not want to start a discussion thread in announcement,...
Hi All, I am back with another question. Here it goes: What will happen to the following code? int main() { int *p = NULL ; int *&ref = p...
What is difference between logical and physical address?