Is Google Giving Detailed Search Results (On The Page Itself) A Good or A Bad Thing?

What is the process you follow when you want to get some information from the internet? For example I wanted today morning to find out when India was playing at the T20 World Cup. There were two steps I needed to follow either go in to the official website of the tournament or Google it. Since I was unaware of the site name I Googled the phrase “ICC T20 World Cup Schedule”. As I pressed enter to my amazement Google served up the match schedules of every match being played under the ICC jurisdiction.

Cricket 1

And I do not have to visit any websites like ESPNCricinfo and Yahoo Cricket etc for match scores Google gives them right on my search page.

Cricket 2

This meant I did not have to go into the actual site that contained the information and it saved me time and internet data usage. But this caused me to think, If Google was serving the content what would the websites do that hosted the actual content?

Scraper Sites

#-Link-Snipped-# a few days back where Matt Cutts, the head of the webspam team at Google asked Google users let them know of scraper sites were ranking higher than the actual site in the searches, to that tweet #-Link-Snipped-# attached a screenshot showing how Google itself was doing the same. The same thing happens when you Google something about a movie or a celebrity. Google takes content from IMDB and Wikipedia and puts them up along with the search results.

Search Results
Search Results 2

While this is a good thing for us, what about the websites that are losing advertisement money because people are not visiting them. Yes, Google pays them an undisclosed amount of money for their information but is that worth losing visitors?

Put on your thinking caps and your fingers on your keyboard and let a healthy discussion begin.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Most of the Internet businesses are anyway at Google's mercy. They can quickly kill bus ticketing, flight ticketing all all other businesses. Interesting observations, for sure 😀
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    That's really something. I think websites like Wikipedia which do not show Advertisements may really not care about their content being showed on Google Search Results.
    I hope though that if a visitor find that information useful, it should be considered as a page-view for that website.

Does IMDB show ads?
    A lot of "currency converter", "flight information", "online calculator" websites may have already suffered after Google started showing them on top of other search results.

But you can't really challenge Google. It has the monopoly.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    By the way, does Google own the web? I think it does to about 90%, because it's become a standard for almost everything.

'Google it!' is the new trend.😳
    'Search it!' lost it's meaning years ago.
    Now people rant so many things on the internet,
    Even their personal photos/videos are dropped in some box online!
    No more photo albums, or cassette/CD/DVD/Disk collections at home.
    No more of that 'writing-with-ink-on-paper' bond.
    Everything is easy to find.
    Everything is so lazily online.😒
    Even your Facebook is Googled upon!
    Marriage, Death and any ceremony are events on/off!
    Internet has narrowed up our thinking abilities;
    Nobody really uses an encyclopedia anymore.
    All the information is out on a 'clicks tone',
    And it's in-fact the slimmest library you can carry around!

Satya Swaroop Dash
    Put on your thinking caps and your fingers on your keyboard and let a healthy discussion begin.
    So that's why you wear a cap! 😏
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Google tracks its users, so I use Duckduckgo. I like to keep my search anonymous. Been using Duckduckgo from last couple of months, didn't missed Google.
    An interesting article : searchengineland.com/could-duckduckgo-be-the-biggest-long-term-threat-to-google-118117
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Abhishek Rawal
    Google tracks its users, so I use Duckduckgo. I like to keep my search anonymous. Been using Duckduckgo from last couple of months, didn't missed Google.
    An interesting article : searchengineland.com/could-duckduckgo-be-the-biggest-long-term-threat-to-google-118117
    Interesting! Can see the difference instantly. Thanks buddy for the share!
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Anoop Mathew
    Interesting! Can see the difference instantly. Thanks buddy for the share!
    Pleasure 😀
  • smorgasbord
    smorgasbord
    Why not use a site's API?
    For eg: OMDb API - The Open Movie Database
    may or may not be an API but it works well incase you want to save some data or want to make a bot for IMDB
  • smorgasbord
    smorgasbord
    why not use* a site's API?
    sorry i dont know how to edit my already uploaded post.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Dope infographic for Mad Men fans. 👍 Most of the quotes are all too familiar, but still. Moi is making a poster of this for sure. *Hot-linking the infographic since...
The all new Seiki U-Vision HDMI cable can easily convert any HD video into a 4K ultra HD video on the go! The Godsend for those who recently bought 4K...
Facebook has released a new version of its app for the Windows Phone platform. The social networking giant has delivered a lot of performance improvements with the Facebook Beta 5.2.3.1...
While designing a resume recently I realized the importance of using good fonts in a resume. Though it may not sound like a big deal to most of you, if...
Owing to the demand by OneNote users on various other platforms, the OneNote app has now been made available on the Mac OS. In a recent post on the Office...