Is English is necessary to get developed

I believe that English should be must for each and every citizen of India especially for those who have a recognized degree..
But i wan't to know that is English is still necessary for development. Some highly developed countries like Japan, China, France, Singapore, Hong kong etc.. has didn't accepted English as their official language but they are staying with their own country language and are very much developed.
So, is English plays an important role in development .......?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Language is just a medium of communication. It has it's own importance in global trade. However, I don't see it's relevance in development in a country. There are other important factors. The countries you quoted in your post had its people working towards the development of their own country. They have developed their own technology; tourism, education systems and rely on them.
  • rishi0922
    rishi0922
    Sir, if you have said that language is just a medium of communication then what's the importance of official language in global trade ?
  • anandkumarjha
    anandkumarjha
    @rishi:along with the medium of communication it has it's own importance in the developement of any country specially those country whicg is developing in the present senario. so far as i know developing country does not have enough resourses or the man power so as to inhance its own technology so finally it has to rely on the official language such as english
  • rishi0922
    rishi0922
    @anand: as per ur say i didn't convinced much, i don't think that a developing country has less resources or less man power to enhance their technology, but the developing country is much more agressive towards development and will generate very fastly with little support of a developed country ..
    But my point here is that what is the importance of official language on global trade ?
  • anandkumarjha
    anandkumarjha
    @rishi:
    As the name itself suggest about the global trade that the trade which has its branch and it's importance world wide and to compit with those trade there should be one common language so as to communicate in a better way and likewise to make our stand in that trade compitition, and as you might be knowing that english is only the language which is common to all the countries so its an official language ....i think now you would be convinced with what i am talking about,if not then let me know please
  • jamesadition
    jamesadition
    Language is necessary for us to survive because we need to communicate & understand what is going on. Without it humans couldn't progress and work together, it would be chaos.When a bulldog reaches the age of three years it is considered to be fully matured or in other words fully developed.

More details: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Reya
    Reya
    English has emerged as the international language of business communication, particularly in certain industries such as travel, hospitality, engineering and construction, healthcare and finance,shipping,maritime.Many of the world's largest stock exchanges are based in English speaking countries. These include The New York Stock Exchange, the NASDAQ, the American Stock Exchange, London Stock Exchange, Toronto, Australia, and Johannesburg. English has become a key language for investment, foreign exchange, and banking.
    English has become the key instrument of globalization.The English language is used all over the globe for transaction of international trade.English is the only language that the German, the Chinese, the Japanese & Russians are keen to learn although their mother languages are developed as English. Now almost all the universities are conducting scientific studies through English medium.So English is necessary and it should be developed.
  • 4M4N
    4M4N
    As English is the only language accepted globally, so for proper and efficient communication worldwide one must develope english language.
  • jiniya
    jiniya
    yes there are countries like china,japan who follow their own languages and are progressing at very high rate. the role of English played here is if there was no language barrier this rate would be much higher and considering that many Chinese are learning i gues within a span of few years china will definitely be a great threat to India
  • BCA_GIRL
    BCA_GIRL
    For every successful communication language is important. As we see the animals also communicates with each other. But we should have a standard. A person having command on language always make able to listeners to understood efficiently. On the other hand if we do not have much knowledge about the language then it will be reason for misunderstanding between listener and speaker.
    No doubt, English is necessary to got development. As much we got good command on English( or any other language), it helps to improve our personality. We can see a huge difference in our thinking, our life style too. According to my point of view, a language is not only medium of communication, its more than it.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Updating an old debate, after reading: #-Link-Snipped-#

A new study has found out that over 97% of Indian engineers can't speak English, which keeps them away from their 'dream jobs'. I'm really wondering what exactly is the problem that needs to be fixed: Teaching English to Indians or just changing the dependence of Science and Engineering on English?

I'm thinking the overwhelming love Indians have for English is keeping India away from development.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    As part of a recruitment drive last year we went to engineering colleges (4 of the best in Hyderabad). We had 2 rounds - first written (mix of basic aptitude + English grammar) and the 2nd one a face to face with us.

Out of the 350+ students that turned up we struggled to finalise 3.

Moving on, even when interviewing "experienced" people our hit rate is not more than 1 in 20 - 30.

Our requirements aren't very special - we just need people that can speak & write English properly. But I've found people fail to understand the importance of basic things like capitalization, use of punctuation, etc.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

1.)If a word "FINGER" is coded as "SGJRNL", then how will you code the word "GROUND" ? a) TLSNJE b) TGNRSP c) EPXSWM d) EPNRWM e) none 2.)If "I am...
Google is rolling out a new advertising campaign on Thursday for its display advertising platform. The campaign, called Watch This Space, will run in advertising trade magazines and in other...
After nearly 20 months, Mahindra Satyam is visiting IT campuses around the country to recruit 3,000 fresh graduates. There was a continual freeze for a long time since Founder &...
Facing a massive shortage of well-qualified teachers, the prestigious Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) has mooted a proposal for hiring foreign nationals as permanent faculty members. IITs have contended that...
I just found this video while surfing randomly. It describes very briefly what a computer engineer does. [video=youtube;CL-vIg4Ivqw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL-vIg4Ivqw[/video]