Is dictatorship bad when the solution proposed is for betterment of society?

So, there are talks all across the nation (India) about 'bans' on various things, be it food items or what you wear and what you do with your religion. While discussing with a friend the other day, we landed on an interesting argument that, these days, whenever there's a talk of dictating something, there's uproar about how you are 'imposing' your views on us and why everything has to be your personal 'choice'. Just for a second, take a step back and think -
If a person (say a leader) has to decide what's the greater good for all sections of society. Now this decision involves taking something from someone (may be this action is done forcibly). Should he/she do it by going against the masses because it's for the betterment of the society (and there's scientific proof to back his/her thoughts)? Or should he/she say, "See, these are the facts. Now you choose if you want to give it up willingly, because if I 'ban' it you would call me a dictator." <-- Does that ever work?

So, my crudely put question - Is dictatorship bad when the solution proposed is for betterment of society?

Replies

• Shweta Chauhan
    Shweta Chauhan
    I won't say that I support the idea of it being bad, but everyone should be free to chose whatever he likes until the usage of it unwillingly harms others. I don't understand though, instead of banning 'certain' food items which is at least edible, why government simply can't put a statuary warning on those as well(Ironic!) and why tobacco and cigarettes still rule the market!
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    If an idea makes sense, the person enforcing the idea will not be in the minority, and if there is a majority, it will not be a dictatorship. A dictatorship is one where a minority is acting in authority on a vision not most agree with. This according to me, is what a dictatorship is.

In answer to your question, if something is in the right for the society as a whole, enforcement wont be necessary. It will find support anyhow, without enforcement. The process might (will) be painfully slow to bring about that reform. The major question is to identify what is *right* and what is *wrong* for a mass of people, who decides, and how? That grey area there, is the domain for NP hard problems.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Thank you for that answer. ^ #-Link-Snipped-# That has been by far the sanest explanation for the question that I had in my mind.
    ..and the correlation to NP hard problem was 👍👍

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi all I am a fresher 2014 passed out BE graduate in the stream of information science , post my graduation i have done my course in software testing Looking...
HI, I AM A MECHANICAL ENGINEER ASPIRING FOR ENTRANCE EXAMS. I AM TARGETING ESE EXAM. BUT I AM LITTLE BIT CONFUSED ON HOW TO PREPARE FOR THAT. AS MY TECHNICAL...
Hi, My name is Megha. third year student in electronics and telecommunications (pune university. sorry nw named as SPPU) i love talking a lot.. but was never interested in engineering,...
What is Java Applet exactly? Is it something included in advance Java? Give me some idea about the thing.
I am Apurva Gawande. Second year student of mechanical engineering from Pune. I like to read books technical, non-technical. I like making design on softwares. My aim is to be...