Is Designing a Social Networking Website as my final year project a wise idea?

Even though I am a Final year IT student, I am not good in programming. So, I thought that I could learn about web technologies and do my final year project on my own in it, instead of buying projects from project centers which is a total waste of time and money. I just want to do something of my own and gain some knowledge in it and hence I chose to create a social networking website. So, I would like to know what things I have to learn as the first step of my project. Is it wise to choose social networking website as my final year project? If not can you please help me with some ideas along with what i should study with it?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    SREJA
    So, I would like to know what things I have to learn as the first step of my project
    Well, you will have to learn programming language anyway. The first step would be to pick up a web programming language: PHP, Ruby, JavaScript and also have some knowledge of HTML and CSS. That'd be the first step words working on your own project.

SREJA
    Is it wise to choose social networking website as my final year project?
    Sure it's a nice idea if you are new to programming. List out the features you'd like in your social networking project. That should give you a clear idea about the scope and limitations of your project.
  • SREJA
    SREJA
    Main Features:
    1) Chatting
    2) Blogging
    If possible, Ill try to add some more additional features.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - If you are making a social network; you will have to start with the core features like - user management (login, sessions, connections, passwords etc.), wall so that people can write messages, uploading files, photos etc. Chatting and blogging would be nice features to have.
  • SREJA
    SREJA
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - If you are making a social network; you will have to start with the core features like - user management (login, sessions, connections, passwords etc.), wall so that people can write messages, uploading files, photos etc. Chatting and blogging would be nice features to have.
    What are the softwares that I have to download for doing my project?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    SREJA
    What are the softwares that I have to download for doing my project?
    If you want to develop a software on your own, you won't need any existing software. Just download XAMPP and setup a development environment. You will also need an IDE to develop your project. There are several open source IDEs available that you can use - for example, NetBeans or Zend Studio Community Edition or Eclipse.
  • priyank bhardwaj
    priyank bhardwaj
    SREJA
    Even though I am a Final year IT student, I am not good in programming. So, I thought that I could learn about web technologies and do my final year project on my own in it, instead of buying projects from project centers which is a total waste of time and money. I just want to do something of my own and gain some knowledge in it and hence I chose to create a social networking website. So, I would like to know what things I have to learn as the first step of my project. Is it wise to choose social networking website as my final year project? If not can you please help me with some ideas along with what i should study with it?
    why don't you use Wordpress for blogging and stuff!
    its easier plus you get plugins and themes as an advantage
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    priyank bhardwaj
    why don't you use Wordpress for blogging and stuff!
    its easier plus you get plugins and themes as an advantage
    Won't that defy the purpose of the project? Entire social networking can be setup easily by installing the BuddyPress plugin on WordPress - and it will give you everything. But that will result into almost zero learning.
  • priyank bhardwaj
    priyank bhardwaj
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Won't that defy the purpose of the project? Entire social networking can be setup easily by installing the BuddyPress plugin on WordPress - and it will give you everything. But that will result into almost zero learning.
    yup !! Looking at the learning POV you are right !!
    To my view making changes in the plugins or designing custom plugins and custom themes would be of a great value.
    But yes you are right about the gaining knowledge thing.
  • SREJA
    SREJA
    Thank you very much for your help and support 😀
  • SREJA
    SREJA
    priyank bhardwaj
    yup !! Looking at the learning POV you are right !!
    To my view making changes in the plugins or designing custom plugins and custom themes would be of a great value.
    But yes you are right about the gaining knowledge thing.
    Thank you!!
  • SREJA
    SREJA
    Kaustubh Katdare
    If you want to develop a software on your own, you won't need any existing software. Just download XAMPP and setup a development environment. You will also need an IDE to develop your project. There are several open source IDEs available that you can use - for example, NetBeans or Zend Studio Community Edition or Eclipse.
    Thank you!!
  • SREJA
    SREJA
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I downloaded xampp, but when I try to open a text file from htdocs (index as localhost) it shows error. Does that mean something went wrong in downloading xampp? What should I do for it?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    SREJA
    I downloaded xampp, but when I try to open a text file from htdocs (index as localhost) it shows error. Does that mean something went wrong in downloading xampp? What should I do for it?
    If you have successfully installed XAMPP and got the servers running; do this to verify your installation:

1. Create file named phpinfo.php inside /htdocs/
    2. Paste this code inside this phpinfo.php file:
    Now go to your web browser, type: #-Link-Snipped-# and check if you see a big table with all the information about your PHP setup.
  • SREJA
    SREJA
    Kaustubh Katdare
    If you have successfully installed XAMPP and got the servers running; do this to verify your installation:

Now go to your web browser, type: #-Link-Snipped-# and check if you see a big table with all the information about your PHP setup.
    I did what you told, but it tells that "The page can't be displayed" :'(
    Anyways Thank you so much for helping and supporting me 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    SREJA
    "The page can't be displayed" :'(
    Are you running all the servers; especially 'Apache'? Grab a screenshot of the XAMPP window showing servers running and post it here.
  • SREJA
    SREJA
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Are you running all the servers; especially 'Apache'? Grab a screenshot of the XAMPP window showing servers running and post it here.
    Sorry, I forgot to start apache. Eventhough when I start apache I get "Object not found!"

This is what I get.(Sorry uploading file or photo is not responding)
    Object not found!
    The requested URL was not found on this server. If you entered the URL manually please check your spelling and try again.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the #-Link-Snipped-#.

Error 404
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Apache/2.4.12 (Win32) OpenSSL/1.0.1l PHP/5.6.8
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    SREJA
    If you entered the URL manually please check your spelling and try again.
    I'm assuming your file path is: xampp/htdocs/phpinfo.php

If that is correct, your file should load on #-Link-Snipped-# . Post the screenshot of your settings (xampp window).
  • godymarolin
    godymarolin
    Hw can i learn web designing effectivelly and which languages are vital
  • nINAD pARDHIYE
    nINAD pARDHIYE
    godymarolin
    Hw can i learn web designing effectivelly and which languages are vital
    Basic HTML and CSS will help you in getting a basic site up and running. This will help you in creating a static website, which means the content of the website does not change until you do it yourself in the code.
    Once you get a good comfort and experience with those two, start understanding PHP and its power to create dynamic sites by communicating with the server during page view. Gain a little confidence with PHP and start database related actions in PHP like sessions, logins etc. You will basically start with procedural PHP where you are running a PHP file line by line, then learn the Object Oriented approach of PHP which actually boosts the actual power of PHP's great features. Object orientation is great in PHP. Using jQuery with PHP will help you in changing web pages on fly at the client side.
    But this way is too much and you will generally want to at least reach PHP and Database manipulation to make great websites.
    Hope that helps.
  • nINAD pARDHIYE
    nINAD pARDHIYE
    SREJA
    Having trouble with XAMP? Sometimes it gets confusing seeing the buttons and stuff and what it all is. I suggest WAMP. Similar as in nothing is different, just makes stuff start on one click. Un-install XAMP from the PC and install WAMP. Have a look at this tutorial : WAMP Server Installation Guide for Windows 7 32/64 Bits - TutorialChip

and then follow what @#-Link-Snipped-# has said to check php:

• SREJA
    SREJA
    Tha
    nINAD pARDHIYE
    Having trouble with XAMP? Sometimes it gets confusing seeing the buttons and stuff and what it all is. I suggest WAMP. Similar as in nothing is different, just makes stuff start on one click. Un-install XAMP from the PC and install WAMP. Have a look at this tutorial : WAMP Server Installation Guide for Windows 7 32/64 Bits - TutorialChip

and then follow what @#-Link-Snipped-# has said to check php:

Thanks a lot!
  • nINAD pARDHIYE
    nINAD pARDHIYE
    SREJA
    Tha

Thanks a lot!
    Happy to help!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am totally new for new for game creation. I am studying Final year Information Technology and I would like to complete my Under Graduation's Final project by creating a...
Modern smartphones can detect your heart rate and blood oxygen content; but pretty soon, they'll also be able to detect common health related issues. The researchers at the Medical and...
The mankind is at an important point in the history of space exploration. On 14th July, NASA's deep space exploration mission 'New Horizons' will fly nearest to Pluto, gathering all...
I'm currently in the process of making a list of top features we'd like to have in our real time chat system. I personally am not a fan of the...
Quote: Broad Sustainable Building has again demonstrated its ability to defy the conventional constructions norm. Using 2700 prefabricated modules, constructed in their factory 4 months prior to assembly on-site in...