Irrigation engineering- question bank

1. Define irrigation and explain its necessity and scope in India
  2. Describe the different types of Irrigation schemes . Explain each briefly
  3. What are the benefits and ill effects of Irrigation.?
  4. Define , Duty, Delta and base period .Establish the relationship between
    them.
  5. Explain the relative advantages and disadvantages in the following cases.
    i)Lift Irrigation and canal Irrigation
    ii)Drip Irrigation and sprinkler Irrigation.
  6. Explain in brief about “Drip Irrigation” method
  7. A loam soil has field capacity of 23 % and wilting coefficient of 11%.The
    dry unit weight of soil is 14 KN / m3 and the root zone depth is 75 cm .
    Determine the storage capacity of soil . Irrigation water is applied when
    moisture contain is falls to 15%. If water application efficiency is 78 % ..
  8. Determine the depth required to be applied in the field.
  9. Define the following term
    i) Water conveyance efficiency
    ii)Intensity of irrigation.
    iii) Capacity factor
    iv)Crop and base period
  10. Explain the various modes of failure and stability checks for Gravity Dam.

Replies

• CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    11. Derive an expression for principle stresses and shear stresses at the toe and
    heel of an Gravity dam
    12. What do you understand by the elementary profile of a Gravity dam? Derive the expression for determining base width based on stress criteria.
    13. A concrete Gravity dam has following details
    i)Maximum water level = 305m
    ii)Bed level = 225 m
    iii) Level at top of dam = 309 m
    iv)The D/S slope starts with reduce level of 300 m with slope 1V:0.75H
    v)The uplift pressure 100 % at the heel and 50% at gallery and 0 %at the toe.
    vi)The density of concrete is 24 KN/m3
    vi) Top width of dam = 8 m
    Check the stability of dam and calculate principle and shear stresses
    14. Compare “Gravity Dam” with “Earth Dam”
    15. Explain the measures for embankment seepage control and foundation seepage control in an Earth Dam.
    16. Explain with the help of neat sketch , the various component parts ,along with their functions, of diversion head work.
    17. What are the different types of spillways ?Explain the design criteria of an Ogee spillway in brief.
    18. Adischarge of 1750 cumec has to passed over an ogee spillway with co efficient of discharge of 2.25 at a head of 3.8m .What should be the effective length of spillway? Neglect velocity of approach.
    19. Define energy dissipation . Discuss various methods used for the energy dissipation downstream of spillways.
    20. Write short notes on
    i)Silt Excluder
    ii)Launching Apron
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    21. What are the causes of failure of weir on permeable foundation .Also write the remedial measures to avoid chances of such failure.
    22. What are the drawbacks in Kennedy’s theory relating to unlined alluvial channel.
    23. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of lining of an irrigation canal.
    24. Design an unlined canal by Lecy’s theory for regime velocity of 0.75 m/s ,side slope of 1/2:1 and silt factor of 1.0.
    25. Design a concrete lined canals to carry a discharge of 45 m3/sec ,side slope of 1.25:1 and Manning’s N OF 0.016. The maximum permissible velocity is 1.8 m/s and section is triangular.
    26. Design an alluvial channel section to carry 40 m3/sec of discharge at a slope of 19cm/km with Chezy’s constant = 52and CVR = 1 .Use Kennedy’s silt theory.
    27. State the functions of head regulator ,cross regulator ,escape and irrigation outlet.
    28. What is an outlet? Write requirements of a good outlet.
    29. Explain the causes and effects of water logging.
    30. Define river training works and write it’s objects , Write classification of river training works. Give names of different river training works
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Great work CP. 👍

I hope we get same collections for all branches in engineering.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Great work! Now can we also have answers to above questions in separate threads? It will attract many engineers to CE.
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    What is
    Irrigation engineering-???
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    irrigation engineering is a branch of civil engineering where the design of dams, canals, irrigation planning and hydraulic structures are dealt.
  • hamedulirshad
    hamedulirshad
    Can i get the question bank seperately for Anna University papers.
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    i don't think anna university question banks are available online. i'll try and put it up here if i get a link.
  • Kenhize Tamin
    Kenhize Tamin
    What is capacity factor
  • Kenhize Tamin
    Kenhize Tamin
    What is root-zone-depth
  • nagasarath
    nagasarath
    CIVILPRINCESS
    i don't think anna university question banks are available online. i'll try and put it up here if i get a link.
    It is the ratio of the average discharge to the maximum discharge (design discharge).
    Mathematically, Capacity factor=Average Discharge/Design Discharge
    For example, a canal was designed or the maximum discharge of 50 cumecs, but the averagedischarge is 40 cumecs, then the capacity factor is
    40/50=0.8
  • nagasarath
    nagasarath
    Kenhize Tamin
    What is capacity factor
    t is the ratio of the average discharge to the maximum discharge (design discharge).
    Mathematically, Capacity factor=Average Discharge/Design Discharge
    For example, a canal was designed or the maximum discharge of 50 cumecs, but the averagedischarge is 40 cumecs, then the capacity factor is
    40/50=0.8
  • Khriezelhou Seyie
    Khriezelhou Seyie

Irrigation question bank

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am not able to upload an image in ImageStack.us. Could anyone please help me out. The message I am getting everytime I tried is " No file Uploaded".😔
hi guys. this iz my first post from crazy engineers .i have a problem that i wan u help in passing out my exams so pls give me some tps...
hi pls guide me .how to use this crazy engineers forums pls.need help
Hello AllAll those who are preparing for Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) can download the past years' Question Papers from here:https://www.crazyengineers.com/downloads/jlpt-level-1-to-4-old-question-papers-for-practice-1991-1999.247/You can download the all the old pattern JLPT Question...
You can download the mp3 files of the past year question papers from this link: Index of /datumcenter/jlpt/listenmp3 It contains the mp3 files of the Listening Tests i.e. Chyoukai Shiken...