IPod and MP3 Player

Hi all,
I am wondering what is the difference between these two ? Hope i posted this thread in the right section. Thanks😁

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Moved to chit chat.

iPod is an MP3 player created by Apple Corporation, USA. MP3 player would be any device that stores and plays MP3 files.
  • electron1212
    electron1212
    So you mean IPods are patented and mp3 players are not. Is that the only difference ?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Ipods are from Apple company and only songs in the I - tunes format can be played using it.

we can convert the normal songs into i- tunes with some software.

We have MP3 players from many companies patented like sony etc etc.

But if we considering a larger view both play music which we love to listen 😉😉
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    An Ipod is a patented portable music player manufactured by Apple Inc, and is able to play various audio codecs (including MP3). Its therefore can also be called an MP3 player 😉

MP3 is known as a MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3 codec, type of compression method to compress the raw audio sound that is recorded at the source into a smaller file, while retaining the quality. Basically, it will get rid of sounds that the human ear cannot hear, as well as take advantage of threshold techniques that the human ear utilizes. This produces almost the same sound as the original, but at much lower file sizes.

MP3 is actually a licensed technology, so if any manufacturer wants to encode or decode it (whether its in software or hardware form) they need to apply for it. Therefore, anybody who manufactures mp3 players need a license... and you'll realise that mp3 players are essentially MP3 decoders anyway. Even Apple has applied for one, so Ipod players can decode the MP3 files for us to listen to.

Regarding patenting, some MP3 players are, some are not. Its up to the manufacturers if they wish to protect their designs. Remember, patenting costs money too. Of course, this mostly works in places which strictly enforces patent law, like US and Europe. Move over to China, and you'll see manufacturers producing clones of patented devices at much lower cost. In some cases, they even improve the design! Thats how far the cloners have progressed 😉
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Thanks for the info Ash..
  • showmines
    showmines
    in my opinion, iPod is actually a mp3 player, but with stylish pattern, and named it as a fashional name to attractive young people. Its function is the same as universal mp3 players, even worse than them, as iPod does not have FM function, but average mp3 players have.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    That stylish pattern of MP# player is copyright of Apple and named as Ipod.

So its like you can say that Ipod is a mp3 player, but all mp3 players are not Ipod

-CB

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello CEans, In the times of hard economic conditions, lot of fresh engineers are facing the music of either being turned down by their employers or by not getting employment...
Hi All, Being a part of computerized world, we all find many basic and sometimes informative computer related terms in our everyday life.This thread is started for collecting all such...
hi friends.actually i want to make an audio amplifier for t.e. mini project.specifications are: 40W 2 inputs for a electric guitar and a synthesizer volume,bass and treble control line in...
Hi all, im working on my fyp were im controlling a dc motor and stepper with switches through labview via parallel port.. all has been going good so far but...
hey people this is an interesting puzzle... check out..find the odd one from the following 100/11 100/22 100/33 100/44 100/55 100/66 100/77 100/88