iPad 2 : iOS 9.3 Upgrade - Fix When Backup Fails Because Of Session Issue

Apple iPad 2 seems to have plenty of issues getting to work with the latest iOS 9.3 firmware. At first, the iPad 2 (GSM) would refuse to activate and thus becoming totally useless. Acknowledging the issue, Apple's decided to re-release the iOS 9.3 and I had trouble installing the firmware. I faced the following issue -

iPad 2 would download the firmware without any issue via iTunes. However, before iPad began installation of the firmware on iPad, it would try to back up all of iPad's data. At this time, iTunes threw an error that iPad could not be backed up because it failed to initiate a session with the iPad. iTunes then quit the upgrade process without any further notices or actions.

One of the suggested fix for the issue was to make your iPad sync with iTunes via wi-fi. However, if you haven't already enabled this option for your device, there's no 'obvious' way to get the update to work. After some trials and errors, I found out how to get it to work! Here's what I did.

Step 1: Keep your iPad connected to the iTunes via the USB connector.

Step 2: Press and hold the home and power button simultaneously. Your iPad will now restart - but keep the buttons pressed. iPad then enters the recovery mode and iTunes will now show upgrade message.

Step 3: Complete the upgrade normally - it will take several minutes before iPad updates itself to the latest version.

Let me know if this works for you.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Forgot to mention - if above process runs well and you've the latest iOS available; restart your iPad and try again. Keep the iPad connected to your iTunes via USB and you should be able to see the activation step. You will have to enter your Apple ID (username and password) in order to activate your account.

I had to enter my credentials at least 3 times before getting the activation to work. Strange behavior, Apple. What's going on?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Why is the charge transferred by electrons and not by protons? If we apply potential difference to the circuit were the protons and neutrons go ?
Remember Skully, a smart helmet powered by Android that was launched a few years ago. Its purpose was to inform about directions and weather to its wearer over a heads...
Project Abstract / Summary : Automatic Ration Distribution System (ARDS) is an Embedded System since it includes a perfect share of hardware and an appreciable share of software as well....
Project Abstract / Summary : Here the term intelligent represent that it can do multiple tasks like, 1. metal detection, 2. fire sensing and 3. transmission of voice through laser....
Project Abstract / Summary : A E-shape microstrip patch antenna proposed system design for wireless application.An microstrip patch antenna operated at microwave frequencies and also called microwave antenna are mainly...