Interview with Nischay Nahata, Co-Founder - HonestCollars

HonestCollars, a place to discover the best domestic, was founded by Nischay Nahata and Rajat Garodia earlier this year. They help the users discover the right helpers around them for their daily needs. #-Link-Snipped-# has its headquarters in Bangalore, India and they have recently launched an #-Link-Snipped-# for their service.

Nischay Nahata completed engineeting in Information Technology in the year 2013 from National Institute of Technology, Karnataka.

In an exclusive interview with CrazyEngineers.com, we got Nischay to talk about his experiences at HonestCollars, his educational and professional background, how he got in touch with Rajat Garodia - his co-founder at HonestCollars, the customer base for HonestCollars and marketing strategies and a lot more. Nischay also discusses about how to generate revenue and the expansion plans of HonestCollars. Read on!

NischayNahata-HonestCollars-CrazyEngineers
Rajat Garodia (left) and Nischay Nahataโ€‹

1. Hi Nischay. Could you tell our readers something about HonestCollars that is still unknown?

Nischay:
I think engineers would be most interested to know the technology behind our site. Our website is based on the MediaWiki platform (software behind Wikipedia) and uses custom extensions like SemanticMediaWiki, etc. Therefore we are about 99% open source ๐Ÿ˜€

2. Could you tell us a bit more about your educational and professional background?

Nischay:
I did my undergraduate from NITK Surathkal, where I studied IT (which is same as CS ๐Ÿ˜›).
I worked with Wikipedia for about 8 months part time while in college after that I have worked at Akamai Technologies.

3. How did you get in touch with Rajat Garodia, your co-founder at HonestCollars?

Nischay:
Rajat and I studied together in school and have been good friends since then.

4. How big is the customer base for HonestCollars? How do you plan to advertise it?

Nischay:
The customer base for us are the city dwellers who have a hard time managing their work and personal life. Our aim is to make their life easier by minimizing the time spend on hiring and working with helpers for day to day activities. Currently we are only relying on word of mouth to reach out to everyone which works very well for a startup like ours.

5. What would you prefer - a free trip or money? Why?

Nischay:
I would definitely prefer a free trip. Money is temporary, experience is permanent.

6. If you could do anything you wanted right now, what would it be? Why?

Nischay:

I guess I am already doing what I want to, startup.
7. How does your business generate revenue? What are your expansion plans?

Nischay:
Currently we aren't generating revenues, we are trying to solve a problem first. We want to cover all of Bangalore in coming months and soon start in other cities.

8. What is your biggest success up until now? How fo you set targets for yourself?

Nischay:
Our success is users saying they are happy to use our service. Every response to our survey has been positive and encouraging with requests to cover more areas and categories. Collecting profiles of helpers is our biggest challenge and we set daily and weekly targets on the number of people we get onboard.

9. What according to you is the one thing that should be taught in school that is not already?

Nischay:
I think colleges should teach about open source.

10. Thank you for your time. Any message for our readers?

Nischay:
Please try using HonestCollars for your needs and do tell your friends about it. Also do reach out to us if you have any thoughts, we are always happy to talk to people.

Replies

• Dhananjay Harkare
    Dhananjay Harkare
    Wonderful! Hope these guys cover entire India providing their service.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Very innovative area of service.
    I think a question was left here.
    Most of the maid/painter/carpenter aren't tech savvy. How they are going to contact you, (Register with you)? I see there is a link "Refer a helper" but is it the only way?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Interesting concept. Would be great to have you Nischay on CrazyEngineers. If you are reading this, please do post a reply. ๐Ÿ‘
  • Nischayn22
    Nischayn22
    Anoop Kumar
    Very innovative area of service.
    I think a question was left here.
    Most of the maid/painter/carpenter aren't tech savvy. How they are going to contact you, (Register with you)? I see there is a link "Refer a helper" but is it the only way?
    Hi Anoop, Yes currently that's the only way since the guys aren't tech savy. Anybody can refer them and then we will contact them and list their profile.
  • Nischayn22
    Nischayn22
    Ankita Katdare
    Interesting concept. Would be great to have you Nischay on CrazyEngineers. If you are reading this, please do post a reply. ๐Ÿ‘
    Hi Ankita, Thanks for the appreciation.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Pretty sure that Bangalore IT folks must be loving this service. If there's a service we need badly and it's available online, we jump on it right away to check it out at least once. The success then is a matter of execution by the ones behind the service. Your interface looks clean and easy to use.

Recommended this to a friend who stays in Marathahalli, Bangalore. She tried it for finding cooks and said that the database is quite extensive and results for various search options gave informative results. Direct contact by mobile numbers is quite a help ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Nischayn22
    Nischayn22
    Ankita Katdare
    Pretty sure that Bangalore IT folks must be loving this service. If there's a service we need badly and it's available online, we jump on it right away to check it out at least once. The success then is a matter of execution by the ones behind the service. Your interface looks clean and easy to use.

Recommended this to a friend who stays in Marathahalli, Bangalore. She tried it for finding cooks and said that the database is quite extensive and results for various search options gave informative results. Direct contact by mobile numbers is quite a help ๐Ÿ˜€
    Wow, thanks for recommending it to your friends. We also have come up with an Android app (bit.ly/hcand) which makes it even easier ๐Ÿ˜‰ Please do tell your friends about us.
  • Nischayn22
    Nischayn22
    Here's the link #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Nischayn22
    Wow, thanks for recommending it to your friends. We also have come up with an Android app (bit.ly/hcand) which makes it even easier ๐Ÿ˜‰ Please do tell your friends about us.
    #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# why not update first post itself with the link of this android app?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Harshad Italiya
    #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# why not update first post itself with the link of this android app?
    Done. ๐Ÿ‘

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

good day sir,am having problem in running a programm using matlab,the circuit is single phase induction motor softstarter using simulation using matlab.please sir i want u to help me with...
hey everyone. I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right section. but I need some guidance in modelling an aerospace component. anyone here willing to guide me?
Motorola, the Lenovo owned company, has launched Moto X 32GB (2nd generation) in India with a price tag of Rs. 32,999. The wood finish and leather back panel versions are...
The American corporate trend of hiring and then firing the employees is now 'settling' in Indian IT as well. No one really expected that the companies like Tata Consultancy Services...
Any on who is syclo expert in this Group.Can you just help me in uploading images in agentry server.