Interview with Abhishek Daga, Co-Founder - Thrillophilia

Thrillophilia, India's biggest online platform to book tours and other activities, was founded by Abhishek Daga and Chitra Gurnani in the year 2009. According to the Alexa traffic rankings, Tours, Activities, Adventures & Things to do | Thrillophilia is amongst the top 20 travel websites in the country.

Abhishek Daga pursued Chemical Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology - Varanasi in the year 2007. Abhishek has worked for Cisco for more than four years prior to co-founding Thrillophilia. Abhishek is passionate about innovation and creative thinking.

In an exclusive interview with CrazyEngineers.com, we got Abhishek to talk about his experiences at Thrillophilia, his co-founder Chitra Gurnani, his educational background, how education at IIT helped him shape as an entrepreneur, the five year long journey of Thrillophilia and a lot more. Abhishek also talks about the key skills required in any entrepreneur, the main competitors of Thrillophilia, what makes them different from the rest and toughest seasons of the year for startups in this domain. Read on!

AbhishekDaga-Thrillophilia-CrazyEngineers
Abhishek Daga

1. Could you give our readers a brief overview of Thrillophilia?

Abhishek: Thrillophilia.com is India’s biggest online platform to discover and book unique activities, tours and offbeat stays. Weekend getaways or Short Experiences or Multi Day Tours - a traveller can choose from 2000+ experiences across 134 destinations around the country. Thrillophilia lists unique experiences which are not part of a bigger OTA and are difficult to discover and book online. Not only individuals, but corporate teams can also avail of the experiences together.

In the end, the platform connects local activity providers with the travellers across the globe. Guided Tours, Yoga Classes, Plantation Trails, Trekking Tours, Cultural or Heritage Walks, Mountain Expeditions, Canal Cruises or Kayaking Trips - there are a lot of things to do that can be discovered and experienced at new destinations with Tours, Activities, Adventures & Things to do | Thrillophilia.

Thrillophilia today serves around 3500+ travellers every month and has more than 2000+ experiences online.

In a completely disorganized market, which till date is offline, Thrillophilia makes it simple for the users to find and book activities that will make their trip — or their day.

AbhishekDaga-Thrillophilia-CrazyEngineers3
Chitra Gurnani

2. How did you get in touch with Chitra Gurnani, your co-founder at Thrillophilia?

Abhishek: Chitra and I are best friends since school days; from last 15 years. We both also share the same passion of travel.

3. Could you tell us a bit more about your educational background? What did you learn at IIT that helped you startup with Thrillophilia?

Abhishek: I did my B-Tech from IIT Varanasi, worked for Cisco for 4 years and headed Digital Marketing for a US based firm before Thrillophilia. I have close to 7 years of experience in Technology, Tech Products and Digital Marketing. With four years of work experience with Cisco, I have witnessed some of the most fascinating technologies in my life. Few of them have been workforce mobility and social media for enterprise. At my last job, I was heading Digital Marketing at Eulogy! India and helping clients like Biocon, Discovery Channel, MFC and Flying Machine in their digital marketing strategies.

In the past, while experimenting, I have helped businesses grow online and worked on how to use digital marketing effectively and achieve desired results. My experience also lies in building strategic web applications.

4. According to Alexa traffic rankings, Thrillophilia is amongst the top 20 travel websites. How has the five year journey been?

Abhishek: We have grown severalfold from being an adventure travel company to hosting multiple experiences like Day Tours, Cultural Activities, Experiential Stays and Group Tours.

The model has evolved from being an online service provider to being a marketplace on activities and experiential stays. Roughly 3500 people use Thrillophilia platform and travel every month. The unique visitors on the website are now close to half a million per month. The highest traffic on the website is from the Bangalore, the reason being we have been able to create some great #-Link-Snipped-# around Bangalore. Also we put lot of effort on content marketing which includes 55 Places to Visit near Bangalore - 2023 (Updated with Distance) as well as user centric posts like 51 Places to Visit in India Before You Turn 30.

AbhishekDaga-Thrillophilia-CrazyEngineers2
Abhishek and Chitra

5. What skills are required in your position on a day-to-day basis?

Abhishek:
People management, analytical and not emotional driven business decisions is the key.
6. Which seasons of the year are toughest in your work at Thrillophilia?

Abhishek: There are few months where people don’t travel much especially during the monsoons. But, we do not see a huge dip as people keep on travelling for short weekend breaks. However, there is a huge spike in travel in the months of October and December.

7. What developments on the horizon could affect future opportunities?

Abhishek: Mobile is the future of online travel. Today at Thrillophilia, roughly 40% of the traffic comes from this medium. People are using multiple devices before booking a holiday. We have seen trends where a user logged in from 3 devices, before booking. The website needs to be mobile friendly and the mobile interface needs to be really good and appealing.

India is seeing big growth in the mobile market and by the end of this year we expect our desktop traffic will surpass our mobile traffic.

2013 saw travel bookings happening on mobile. 33% of the mobile consumers today want to complete the transaction same day.

AbhishekDaga-Thrillophilia-CrazyEngineers1
The Team

8. Who are the most important people/companies in the industry today? What makes Thrillophilia different from the rest?

Abhishek:
1. Airbnb.com for peer to peer accommodation booking. A great concept on shared economies!
2. TripAdvisor for reviews and ratings
3. Hoteltonight.com for last minute hotel booking
4. Hipmunk.com for Meta search engine
5. Getyourguide.com / Viator.com for Tours and Activities

Here is what we bring to the table:
● Our brand value in market. People can relate Thrillophilia with offbeat experiences and thrilling activities.
· We also build a lot of informative content that helps people discover new travel experiences.
● We have contracts with 900+ suppliers, the biggest in India so far.
● Due to high quality content, we have very good traction on website. That includes 400,000 unique users per month.
● Having served more than 90,000 travellers in last few years, we bring in a lot of trust on platform.
● We are an established and proven team with the required blend of tech, marketing, travel domain experts and operations.
● 500+ corporate companies have been Thrillophilia customers, who can now be approached aggressively for buying bulk tickets for their employees.

9. Thank you for your time. Any message for our readers?

Abhishek:
1. Seek for big markets and big opportunities.
2. Move fast and do not be afraid of experimenting.
3. Do what you are good at.
4. Be focused and do not deviate from your goal.

Replies

• Suman Kumar Jha
    Suman Kumar Jha
    Nice interview........
  • Vasudev Dhake
    Vasudev Dhake
    INterview is good, but the Thrillophilia is pathetic service provider and they dont even care about their customer. We booked the package from them and even after full payment in advance, every day we need to call them and other sub-agency to get entered into each hotel, no vendor was aware of we were coming and our booking is there.

They have their one of the Service provider in Leh who threaten us, like 'Be like tourist, dont be oversmart, this is our city' we will be doing it our own way.. we dont know the who these Thrillophilia is and we have not been paid by them.

This all communication in front of Thrillophilia Manager Mr Jaikishan and he was speechless there in our conference call.

Then we cancelled our tour and return back, and now chasing Thrillophilia from Augusr 2016 till Dec 2016 and continued... no sign of any refund.

they dont even reply to our emails.
  • Pawan Bali
    Pawan Bali

Yes, Exactly same happened with us!!

Never go anywhere with THRILLOPHILIA, unless you wish to spoil your trip :(

We have booked a trip  to KASOL, HP with THRILLOPHILIA in Nov 2018. 

Bullish behavior of camp owner Mr. Sanjeev Sharma with Pathetic arrangements. Went through Thrillophilia, Even they dont care and listen to them. he has called local guys to beat us and we have been thrown out of camp without any refund :(((( Big Big Disappointment with Thrillophilia indeed...DONT GO WITH THRILLOPHILIA, SEARCH YOURSELF ONLINE FOR DIRECT BOOKINGS INSTEAD, WILL ATLEAST GIVES YOU AN OPTION TO PAY MORE THAN HALF AMOUNT AFTERWARDS WHICH MAKE THEM BEHAVE PROFESSIONALLY AND THINK TWICE BEFORE DOING ANYTHING WRONG. lot more to say, but i dont think it will make any deference to them. pls share your queries on ibalipawan@gmail.com, will share complete documented history with Police report and Thrillophilia response on this incident which was shocking for us!!!

NO help from THRILLOPHILIA and NO REFUND TILL DATE....

• Pawan Bali
    Pawan Bali

Yes, Exactly same happened with us!!

Never go anywhere with THRILLOPHILIA, unless you wish to spoil your trip :(

We have booked a trip  to KASOL, HP with THRILLOPHILIA in Nov 2018. 

Bullish behavior of camp owner Mr. Sanjeev Sharma with Pathetic arrangements. Went through Thrillophilia, Even they dont care and listen to them. he has called local guys to beat us and we have been thrown out of camp without any refund :(((( Big Big Disappointment with Thrillophilia indeed...DONT GO WITH THRILLOPHILIA, SEARCH YOURSELF ONLINE FOR DIRECT BOOKINGS INSTEAD, WILL ATLEAST GIVES YOU AN OPTION TO PAY MORE THAN HALF AMOUNT AFTERWARDS WHICH MAKE THEM BEHAVE PROFESSIONALLY AND THINK TWICE BEFORE DOING ANYTHING WRONG. lot more to say, but i dont think it will make any deference to them. pls share your queries on ibalipawan@gmail.com, will share complete documented history with Police report and Thrillophilia response on this incident which was shocking for us!!!

NO help from THRILLOPHILIA and NO REFUND TILL DATE....

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

😁 Reserving this space for all people who would like to share the screenshots of their results page in each of the 4 rounds. ☕😁 Contest begins 6:00 PM SHARP!
Hi, We don't know your real name but you are definitely rocking your time at CrazyEngineers! @Sufficient Grace Here's wishing you a very happy birthday! Have lots of fun. Be...
Hi frnds @crazy engineers! I am an Engineering student 1st year of a Private Engineering College(orissa) This year i gave jee mains 2nd attempt nd my performance was pathetic nd...
why is non-parametrized return statement allowed in a constructor call when actually the constructor never returns anything,not even void. what is the difference between the return statement written inside a...
This discussion will be opened at 8:00 PM (IST) sharp. All participants will be able to post here entries here.