Internships are optional for IIT Delhi Students

IIT Delhi seems to have taken a bold step this year by making Internships optional for students. The students of third year can now opt for live projects in the subjects of their choice or even pick up a hobby project after consulting with department authorities. Until now, it was mandatory for the students to take a 10-week internship with companies; which typically resulted into these companies offering jobs.

It might be that the institute now wants students to take up entrepreneurship a bit more seriously. A lot of IITans are starting companies right out of college and removal of compulsory internships might accelerate formation of new projects and companies out of the college.

Other IITs viz. IIT Madras and IIT Kharagpur have continued with internships. There's an opinion that Internships prepare students for the corporate world they will enter into after graduation. That brings us to an important discussion point : Are internships helpful and has IIT Delhi taken a step in right direction by making internships optional for students?

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

suggest me some topics for ma project related to thermal engineering and manufacturing management (shop floor management) as well
Whenever anyone asked her, ‘What do you want to become?’, her immediate answer was - ‘An Engineer like my dad’. Priya Wagh, Co-Founder at Mavenchic, is the perfect example of...
About two months ago, I stumbled upon SEMRUSH SEO / SEM tool and after signing up for its free trial, I decided to upgrade my account to 'PRO'. I thought...
hey guys, i am new here... can anyone help me out... the thing is ours is a new college and we are the seniors (the first batch), theres is no...
After BTech, should student switch to Job or Post Graduate & if Post Graduate then Mtech or MBA ?