Intel's vPRO Technology Makes Sandy Bridge Core i5 & i7 Security Enabled

Intel's latest vPRO technology is aimed at making IT and Security professionals' lives easier. In a situation where IT security is a top priority, vPRO technology can come really handy. It enables the security administrators to remotely enable or disable the chip directly by sending an SMS. The concept is not entirely new, but the hardware implementation of it might be. The technology maximizes hardware assisted security making it more adaptive and responsive. [​IMG]

Currently, the security implementation relies on software and it's impossible to secure a system that's turned off and not accessible physically. Moreover, the security keys are usually stored on the hard drives that contain your confidential data. By building the security right inside the chips, IT security professionals can remotely diagnose and fix problems and even power down PCs or lock them down even if they're not connected to the Internet.

My opinion: The new Intel Core vPRO Second Generation chips do enhance security. At the same time, it gives all the power and authority to the IT administrators. This could be a matter of concern. Your take on it?

Via: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

XenForo 1.0 has come out of RC and attained Gold status few hours ago. The promising forum software developed by ex-vBulletin developers Kier Darby and Mike Sullivan has been under...
BigRock is aiming to be the GoDaddy of India. The company owned by Directi deals in online domain registration, website & email hosting and digital certificates for individuals, small business...
Samsung, like Apple, is known for keeping their tablet launches very secret. Samsung has announced that they'll unveil the 8.9" tablet on March 22. However, this time, the company has...
HP's CEO Leo Apotheker today admitted that the company had lost its soul and it takes too long for HP's innovations to reach to the market. The company will try...
Nokia recently launched E7 in India and the latest price is Rs. 35019. E7 tries to combine the best of business smartphone and a personal entertainment phone. The phone however...