Intel XMM6255: World’s Smallest Standalone 3G Modem

At a time when inventors are trying to make every almost everything “smarter”, Intel has announced its newest chip that can give cellular internet connectivity to any of them without adding any bulk. The Intel XMM 6255 modem measures 300 square millimetre in size and is being claimed as the world’s smallest standalone 3G modem. To you give an idea about the size of the chip, Intel has placed it near a one cent US coin in the picture embedded below. The XMM 6255 features Intel’s SMARTI UE2p transceiver which is based on the company’s Power Transceiver technology. Intel’s Power Transceiver Technology is used to cram transmission, receiver, amplifier and power management units in a single chip. Apart from making the chip smaller, the technology protects the chip from overheating, voltage spikes and rough use.

XMM-6255-Board-Size-Comparison

Intel claims that the XMM 6255 modem is capable of working in low signal areas without the assistance of a bigger antenna. Intel says that its diminutive size makes it perfect to be included in smartwatches and sensors. We are not sure if this chip is being used in the Samsung Announces Gear S With Curved AMOLED Display, Tizen OS and 3G Connectivity because Intel isn’t disclosing the names of its hardware partners except for u-blox. The module could mark a change the way how many smart devices work. For example, the Nest Protect smoke and carbon monoxide monitor currently uses your home’s Wi-Fi network to send warnings to your smartphone. With the help of the XMM6255 chip it can communicate with your smartphone wherever you are without relying on your home Wi-Fi.

XMM-6255-Intel_Smarti-UE2p-Graphics_PowerAmplifier

Source: #-Link-Snipped-# via Intel builds 'world's smallest' 3G modem - BBC News

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Videocon Industries Limited, a large and diversified Indian company, is the first Indian brand to launch 4K ultra high definition (UHD) smart television in India. The five Smart TV models...
I want to pursue an Industrial Training in Java after btech for having confidence in Java and getting good job. Will it help me? or I will just waste my...
For over last 8-10 months, I've never used the internal speakers on my iMac. Why? Because the internal speakers in a Mac can never match the awesomeness of the Audio...
When we heard news about Jeff Bezos’ ambitious project of delivering goods via drones we were astonished. We discussed the pros and cons of this service and even cracked a...
I-Infinity, a Mumbai-based privately held Marketing and Advertising company, was founded by Rakesh Galav. Rakesh completed his B.E. in Telecom Engineering from Sardar Vallabh Bhai Regional Engineering College in the...