Intel Takes On Siri: Develops Wearable Headset 'Jarvis' & Cloudless Voice Recognition System

Voice recognition systems have been around for a few years now. Though the history doesn’t boast of many breathtaking achievements in this field, there have been points where manufacturers could capture the imagination of users with innovation. Siri holds the distinction of being the most prominent voice recognition system till date. The accuracy of these systems are better than ever, but the cause of concern is the slowness of computation. Intel has reportedly found a solution for this problem. Voice recognition system working on any platform is designed to work with servers, where the device sends compressed signals to the server and waits for response.

In an interview with Quartz, Mike Bell, head of wearable at Intel, said that the chip manufacturer is developing a voice recognition system without cloud. The technique is to localize the processing so that the round-trip to the cloud is ruled out. Intel has partnered with an unnamed third party to put the software on the Intel mobile processors. To demonstrate the feasibility, a prototype wearable headset, Jarvis, has been developed with the built in voice recognition software. The name, Jarvis, seems to be derived from the name of artificial intelligence software in the Ironman franchise.

jarvis-640x353

The company claims that Intel’s solution will be more responsive than other ‘cloud-obsessed’ solutions in the market. Talking about the usefulness of on-device processing of the voice commands, Bell says, “How annoying is it when you’re in Yosemite and your personal assistant doesn’t work because you can’t get a wireless connection? It’s fine if [voice recognition systems] can’t make a dinner reservation because the phone can’t get to the cloud, but why can’t it get me Google Maps on the phone or turn off the volume?”

It will be interesting to see whether Intel will be able to revolutionize the mobile processors. The PC processor giant wants to pitch in hard with its mobile chip capabilities, as it has missed this wagon quite a few times.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#
Image Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• prahu mac
    prahu mac
    seems like intel is trying to make its mark in this tech era!!!!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

have anyone here done the analysis of hydropower components using staad pro, if yes can u provide me some tutorials regarding that??
Braid Art Labs has come up with a new plug-in called MeshFusion for MODO 701 - one of the most powerful integrated package for 3D modeling, animation, sculpting, effects and...
Nerds among us will remember Star Trek's famous “replicator”, using which Captain Picard could order tea. In an attempt to bringing future in the present, Anjan Contractor, a mechanical engineer...
Engineers at IIT Madras have rolled up sleeves to put an end to the load shedding problems in India. A pilot project taken up at IIT will aim at totally...
Hello folks, Name: now you must be knowing my name 😉 Its Pratik Thorat *Engineering Trade: Computer Science (Don't know why but I choose this one) Location: Mumbai *Occupation: currently...