Inmarsat’s New Satellite Will Deliver The World’s First Global High-Speed Mobile Broadband Service

When you travel abroad the biggest worry that bogs you down is internet connectivity. Sure, your mobile operator has partners around the world to keep your data connection alive but what if the area you are travelling is out of coverage of any cellular operator. The need for a global, mobile high speed mobile broadband will soon be fulfilled as mobile satellite communications service provider, Inmarsat plc will be launching its new satellite. The company has announced that Inmarsat-5 F2 (I-5 F2) satellite will be launched on 1st February from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan at 12.31pm (GMT). The Inmarsat-5 F2 is the second satellite that will deliver Global Xpress superfast broadband service to North and South America and over the Atlantic Ocean. The first Global Xpress satellite that was launched in December 2013 went into service on July 2014 and was tasked of covering areas of Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia. The company is also planning to launch another satellite, the Inmarsat-5 F3 sometime in the second quarter 2015 to complete the I-5 constellation of satellites that shall deliver 100 times faster internet speeds than its predecessor constellation I-4.

Inmarsat (1)

The new generation satellites of Inmarsat have been developed by Boeing Satellite Systems International Inc. The satellite launch on the 1st of February will be undertaken by International Launch Services (ILS) using a Proton Breeze M rocket. Each one of these three satellites has been equipped with 89 beams and six steerable high-power spot beams for multi-regional coverage. Each Global Xpress satellite weighs 6100 kilograms (at launch) and has a wing-span wider than a Boeing 737 (29 meters). Once they are in orbit the satellites will remain functional for 15 years. The significance of the Global Xpress service is in the fact that a single operator will be responsible for delivering high-speed mobile broadband service across the world. Whether you are in the high seas or somewhere in the middle of the Sahara desert, you will be able to access internet on your mobile phone. To know more about this service, watch the embedded video below or head over to the source link.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

(Sent by my cousin Venky) Quote: The world is "3 minutes" from doomsday. That's the grim outlook from board members of The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists. Frustrated with a...
Project Abstract / Summary : Gear mechanism was introduced even cycle for easy riding of cycle.These gears has to be changed manually whenever required but the gears changed may not...
i study MCA 1st year i need to do paper presentation on feb 5 .. i havnt no idea about it anyone can help me
hello friends, i am pursuing b.tech in electronics and communication in the final year and currently i am doing internship in automation. can anybody tell me jobs in india for...
I was interviewed by Google for the post of Online Marketing Strategist. The interview process started in October third week, and Google placed an offer in December first week. 1....