Industrial Engineering- Ask Me Anything (AMA)

Hello people,

I have done my Masters in Industrial Engineering, in 2014. Have studied various topics of IE and did several projects/internships (on Supply Chain, Logistics, Manufacturing, Consulting,etc.) with almost 5-6 companies. You can visit me here- #-Link-Snipped-#

Do you have any questions/concerns regarding the topic? If so feel free to post here😀

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Hello and welcome to CrazyEngineers. It's good to have you here with us. You've got an impressive LinkedIn profile there. Thank you for volunteering for an AMA session.

From the hundreds of queries about MS we've received over the years, here are a few hand-picked ones. You can answer them in your free time in replies below.

1. Suggest University in Germany for an Industrial Engineering course on the basis of only TOEFL score.
    (suggest univ in GERMANY for an industrial engg. on the basis of only TOEFL's score..)

2. Advice/Tips/Suggestions for Industrial Engineers who want to pursue MS in automobile engineering from Germany or USA.
    (suggest a suitable master course for an industrial engineer..)

3. Does MS in industrial engineering have good job prospects in US?

4. Which companies visit campuses or are on a look-out for hiring industrial engineering MS graduates?

5. What is the average course fee? How did you go about managing funds for your education?

6. Is it easy to take up a part-time job in the university?

7. What is a good GRE/GMAT score for pursuing M.S. in Industrial Engineering?
  • Zubin Ajmera
    Zubin Ajmera
    Thanks #-Link-Snipped-#. Appreciate your support. Here are my responses-

1) I have little knowledge on this since I did my Masters from USA. As far as topics are concerned- one can start with basic topics of Lean management, Logistics (understanding the basics of Supply Chain.) Either-
    i) Researching on this would be a good option
    ii) Try learning softwares- Excel is a must so I would start with Basics and then move on to Advanced Excel (dashboards, powerpivots,macros.) Also, other softwares like ARENA, Access would greatly boost your profile.

2) There are many universities which offer Industrial Engineering for Masters or its related discipline (Logistics/Supply Chain/Manufacturing.) But recently, #-Link-Snipped-# nicely summarizes the program of Industrial Engineering with university names and rankings, state offerings, etc.

3) From what #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-# mentioned suggest a suitable master course for an industrial engineer.., there is no specific answer for this. Depends on lots of factors-
    i) University
    ii) Experienced vs. Fresh graduate
    iii) Career services of university
    iv) Companies coming at the career fair events of university
    v) etc.

What I would say is Industrial Engineering definitely has 'wide' options compared to other engineering programs. This is because virtually every company will have some IE work (eg- data analysis, optimization, automation,etc.) So, yes, job prospects surely jumps up! Plus, lot of universities offer internship/co-op programs for IEs in summer which adds relevant experience to IE

4) I have created a list of specific Industrial Engineering companies with their salaries on my #-Link-Snipped-#

5) The average cost per semester would be around $10-15k. There are universities which have more too. How did I manage my funds- I had an on-campus job (I worked as a canteen cashier and quite possibly the worst employee there😁 There are additional opportunities if you get a RA/TA, and your tuition will be funded.

6) I wouldn't say 'easy' since you'll find lot of students wanting to have part time jobs. Good places to look are- libraries, canteen, on-campus restaurants, dining halls, student services center like administration, accounting, etc.

7) Anything of 1350 or above (if a higher quant score, that's a plus) can be considered a good GRE score!

Hope this answers most of the queries. Feel free to ask more if you have any😀

Best,
    Zubin

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm wondering how many of you would be interested in participating in ask me anything sessions on CrazyEngineers? We're in touch with the top CxOs of hottest startups, eCommerce ventures...
At times I get so bugged when I have to write some data on my cellphones memory card. Especially larger files upto 2GB it takes approximately 15 mins. Was quite...
Hi everyone, I am currently doing bachelors in electrical and electronic engineering and in my third year I have to choose between electronics and communication which i don't have broad...
hey! i just wanna know 'is it possible to convert a binary signals to electrical signals?' If yes , Then how it works?
Hi,Guys.I m a fresher to this forum.I want to know something about the ARDUINO board.Could anyone please help me...!!!😀