India's Longest Railway Tunnel Is 11 Km Long & Is Now Open!

The Banihal-Qazigund railway link was inaugurated recently and it's now open for business. The rail-link boasts of India's longest railway tunnel, whooping 11 kilometer long. The tunnel pierces through the Pir Panjal mountain range in Jammu & Kashmir. The tunnel has been in construction for over 7 years and about 1300 workers under guidance of 150 engineers worked effortlessly to build it.

The tunnel has been constructed using New Austrian Tunnelling Methoda aka NATM and it's the first time that this technology has been used to build tunnel of this scale. The tunnel has been constructed by Hindustan Construction Company. The crown of the longest railway tunnel however goes to Japan's Seikan Tunnel which is monstrously, 53.85 Km in length.

The overall cost of the tunnel project is estimated to be Rs. 1700 crore.

Contrats to the entire HCC engineering team that built India's engineering marvel!

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Location in J&K, its length and the known laxity of the railway admin lays the tunnel wide open to security hazards. I fervently hope that adequate infrastructure is in place to protect this great piece of engineering.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    One of my friend(M Tech, IITD) has worked as one of the mining engineer on this project for around 2.5 years. I will check with him, if he can join CE and share his first hand experience that what they have faced in making this a reality.

-Cb
  • Spaceship
    Spaceship
    Now this is some real skill. Kudos on all the amazing work that went into this.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i am going to participate in a few upcoming fests in different colleges where i want to give a paper presentation and poster presentation too. so i need your help...
I'm finding problem in parsing the xml file using the DOM parser. Where my problem is i have a parent tag called employee, where it's children node are having the...
hello CEans, I'm Shyam kumar completed my B.Tech 3rd year. Now as the requirement of our curriculum i'm doing a Mini-Project in Electronics Corporation of India Limited(E.C.I.L) .There i opted...
Today I was in office and around 3:00 pm, heard girls are shouting in some corner. I didn't know about it, then few minute later one guy came to my...
What Should be the distance between two electrical earth pits as per standards?