India's Gram Panchayats To Get 100 Mbps Internet Speeds In The Next 2 Years

The villages across India may not have water or electricity supply, but they'll soon have something that will make the rest of us jealous - 100 Mbps Internet broadband services. Indian government's National Optic Fibre Network (NOFN) plans to connect all the Gram Panchayats across the nation with optic fiber cables promising awesome speeds. Telecom Minister, Kapil Sibal informed while replying to a question asked in Rajya Sabha. The network will ensure that each Gram Panchayat will get about 100 Mbps Internet access in the next two years, he said.

NOFN

The NOFN project is being executed with an investment of about Rs. 20,000 crore and has been financed by Universal Service Obligation Fund. Sibal informed that about 5000 Gram Panchayats are likely to be connected to the central network by the end of this year. He further said that the network will enable service providers to launch broadband Internet and other communication services.

The 100 Mbps networks are still not available in many cities in India. The government's plan looks ambitious and while we think it's a good step in ensuring increased Internet penetration, we wonder how will the Gram Panchayats will utilize the service. Education and video conferencing is all fine - but that needs an ecosystem to be created around it. The Indian Government doesn't seem to have any plans for that yet.

What do you think?

Source: Gram panchayats to get broadband speed of up to 100 mbps: Kapil Sibal - The Economic Times

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Its a politician magic words that never can be a reality.As all we know there are many essential problems going on in India which needs to be addressed and It will be better if they provide proper infrastructure to schools in India.
  • pradeep.pawar
    pradeep.pawar
    WTF , better first provide them with basic necessities properly.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    I can give this on Bond paper if anyone wants but this is just a publicity stunt for the upcoming elections. The poor people they are talking about will be long forgotten if they ever win the elections next year (which is below 20% chance). And it is better if they concentrate on basic living amnetities rather than providing Internet there. People are dying cause of hunger and health over there.
  • NAVATHE SACHIN
    NAVATHE SACHIN
    Bloody congress was introducing all the new bills in order to win in the upcoming elections and these all are SECURITY BILLS to secure their party
  • suriyakumar
    suriyakumar
    its now election time so for getting votes they are saying like this ..really if they have such idea to improve villages ..why did'nt they implemented this before 2 years or 3 years what is the reason of saying this during the period of election...its simply too fool pepole to get votes...its not fair...
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Yeah, another publicity stunt, they should try to allocate resources properly.

What will the people in Gram Panchayat do with a 100 Mbps connection, when they don't have enough resources to live properly and moreover, most of them just don't know how to use a computer..

The government should first focus on basic amenities and providing proper education, rather than just stand up in the last 5 term period to do something to gather votes.

That's the reason most of us just hate politics.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Im writing COMBINED DEFENCE SERVICES(UPSC) EXAMS.I need general science questions(daily events occuring in nature which are based on science).so,pls suggest me from where i can get it.
A brief introduction on the working of Petrol powered Internal combustion Engine. A engine that operates by the help of Petrol as fuel is known as Gasoline engine. The gasoline...
My friend and I were discussing about the paper he had presented in a college changed into a argument and I really want to know the correct answer so that...
Hello CEans. As I have informed you all about my startup "Energy Labs" in the thread, I would like to inform you about our special initiative to portray your talents....
Hello guys, I have been busy lately as i have been learning making responsive designs, also UI/UX designing, css3 using its enhanced features, animations etc. Here goes my past 5...