India's First Blast-Proof Building At Bangalore Will Be The AADHAAR Data Center

India's first ever blast, flood, earthquake proof building will be ready by 2014 to protect all your 'AADHAAR' information, reports TOI. The data center being built at Bangalore will host all the servers that will carry your digital information including , Iris scans, fingerprints etc. The Government of India is ensuring that the data remains intact at all the costs and has employed Engineers India Limited (EIL) to construct the building near Tata Nagar Main Road, NH-4. EIL engineers have said that the building is blast proof with category 'C' rating. Some really impressive civil and structural engineering being implemented at UIDAI's data center.

The main aim is to protect the data of Indian citizens collected through the AADHAAR card scheme. The data storage won't be affected in case of explosions as the servers will be guarded by 500 mm thick walls. No other building in Bangalore has such a strong structure, it seems.

UIDAIโ€‹
Just a representation. Not the actual construction. โ€‹

The building is capable of withstanding floods and earthquakes as well. Bangalore comes under Zone-II on the Earth-Quake sensitivity scale but the building built by Engineers India Limited is for the next 'Zone-III' level earthquakes. In order to protect the servers from floods, the building is being constructed at a height of 2.1 meters from the road level.

UIDAI's Ashok Dalwai informed the media that the shell of the building is now under Wipro Infotech's control, which is responsible for building the data center. The building is in compliance with all the environmental norms.

It's expected that the UIDAI data center in Bangalore will be functional by March 30, 2014. Once fully operational, it will be capable of storing about 6 Pb (=49152 Terabytes) of data. It's estimated that the overall data of 120 Cr+ Indians would amount to over 12 Pb of data which would include individual demographic and biometric data.

With that we'd like to leave a question for the readers: What do you think about government's initiatives on AADHAAR and spending hundreds of crores of rupees on ensuring security. We're not sure who the Government is trying to protect the data from; because other countries already have the access to a lot of information through communication networks. Your thoughts, please?

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    very Impressive measure by India.
    As aadhaar has all details including fingerprints,retina details,and some important sensitive details I will support the measure by India.India is advancing in technical arena with each and every step.Indians adapt very quickly to the technology which I found productive.And thats why India is one of the largest consumer in world.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Aadhar info can be safe guarded from all sorts of natural calamities But who will protect it from the rats who are or who will be working inside the firm๐Ÿ˜•

Anyways in the Engineers point of view this building is an engineering marvel I would say
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think the Government will spend a few crores on scanning the brains of employees every day before the leave office premises ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • lovebox
    lovebox
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think the Government will spend a few crores on scanning the brains of employees every day before the leave office premises ๐Ÿ˜‰
    And perhaps at this attempt they will get a message: "Access denied ! Data transfer to 'Uncle Sam' in progress.." ๐Ÿ˜‰.
    Are they planning a missile defence shield for the building as well?..
    Just kidding. Not meant to offend anyone.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Wow, That's incredible..!! Seeing the incident in Utrakhand, these buildings will be very good.

But then we know how IT is rising, and no one can secure the official data from hackers, and as Conqueror said, what about RATS working inside the firm itself..

Government may spend crores of Rupees, but they will succeed only when they actually want to...
  • Sanoj Rajan
    Sanoj Rajan
    It would take atleast a century, for us (or our grand children) to use it, just as the security number being used in Uncle Sam's soil.

But, given that the current AADHAR CARD doesn't have any information about my Driving License, PAN card, Bank A/C details, Passport, etc (If u search my FB profile, you'll get more details than these ๐Ÿ˜ ), they'll soon come up with AADHAR 2.0 !! ๐Ÿ˜
  • Gurkirat Singh
    Gurkirat Singh
    an inception indeed...gud to know my finger prints will be safe in a blast proof building! ๐Ÿ˜
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    They can plan to make the building flood proof (actually ideally that is also not possible by elevating it to 2.1 mt, do they have plans to save it from tsunami?)

Earthquake.. ๐Ÿ˜€ Bangalore is in Zone 2, and they are making a Zone 3. Not a big deal. In today's world at many places we have +1 safe one building.

Blast proof - Umm, now that's interesting. No where I have seen that what level of blast this can withstand? I am sure it can not take any level, and if to a certain level only, is it really safe? I am sure the terrorist are so advanced that the moment they will come to know about the threshold they would plan well above that.
    So, per me this is merely a hype creating aspect for the building.
    Right? Does that make sense?

-CB
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    crazyboy
    I am sure the terrorist are so advanced that the moment they will come to know about the threshold the blast they would plan would be above that.
    -CB
    I dont think they will waste their time trying to blast through. They will probably infiltrate the building by placing an inside man, then opening the door from inside.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    ash
    I dont think they will waste their time trying to blast through. They will probably infiltrate the building by placing an inside man, then opening the door from inside.
    Absolutely agreed.
    Then what is the point in spending millions of dollars on a hyped building that's good for nothing?

-CB
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    crazyboy
    Absolutely agreed.
    Then what is the point in spending millions of dollars on a hyped building that's good for nothing?

-CB
    Indians love publicity!!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm wondering why don't they just store all of that information in Amazon S3? The Indian government seems to be approving all of NSA actions anyway ๐Ÿ˜‰ .
  • AbhinavS
    AbhinavS
    All the money that must have been wasted building this structure could have been diverted towards the victims of Uttarakhand Tragedy. Aadhar Card is in no sense a support for us. Indian Government tried something new and failed again. ๐Ÿ‘Ž
  • KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    If we are going to construct this building in india. Then it must be a "Theft Proof" building rather than "blast proof".

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Physics is ever-surprising. Check this official physics experiment with Newton beads which seem to defy the gravity. Without searching on the Google - try to explain the phenomenon. โ€‹
The recent entry in the 110cc motorbike segment is with the launch of Centuro by Mahindra & Mahindra group. The two-wheeler portfolio of the company is going to be scaled...
We have seen several of us opting for Mineral water instead of the corporation water being pumped into our houses by the Government Why or What is the main reason...
Can someone explain to me in detail whether the C programming language is platform dependent? Please offer some examples as well.
GUNNARS are high-tech computer glasses designed specially for the group of people like Gamers,Bloggers,Coders,IT Technicians,Video editors,etc. who are glued to the computer for majority time of the day. Usually, these...